This post provides detailed information on the quality director job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they commonly perform.
It also highlights the important requirements you may be asked to fulfill to be hired for the quality director role.
What Does a Quality Director Do?
The quality director is responsible for conducting quality assurance and control on all plants and distribution centers, and other entities in the company.
The quality director job description involves inspecting an area of the plant to ensure that only necessary procedures are being used to produce high-quality products or services. This includes checking equipment, tools, and supplies.
It is also the duty of the quality director to ensure that the production facility is operating at a high operational standard.
They are responsible for taking precautions to prevent safety hazards from occurring during manufacturing processes or during the storage procedure for merchandise produced by the company.
Quality directors ensure that the quality standards set by the company are being maintained by employees, including those working in different departments within the plant.
They monitor each department’s operations to ensure that all procedures are being adhered to and that only approved products or services are being delivered to the company’s clients.
Quality directors review all reports and records provided by each department throughout the month and ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
It is also their duty to come up with a quality management plan, which will be completed once a year.
Making sure that each employee is aware of all policies, procedures, rules and regulations related to quality management and quality control within the company is also a part of their tasks.
The quality director work description involves acting as an ambassador for the company when dealing with customers or clients.
It also entails ensuring that all new ideas and new processes in the company will be carried out or implemented in an effective manner.
They oversee the entire department, ensuring that proper procedures are being followed when approving each product or service.
This includes quality control, efficient management practices, and functioning of equipment within each department.
The quality director keeps track of all developments in the company’s industry and must inform managers quickly if there are any changes that may affect products or services provided by the company.
This position maintains a detailed record of what was produced by each employee within every department. This includes all procedures used to produce goods at a high standard of quality.
Quality Director Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The quality director job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Manage a department or unit where quality assurance is being implemented
- Monitor the plant and its processes to ensure that all procedures are being followed
- Review reports and records for accuracy, which will be submitted to the quality manager
- Conduct meetings with employees within the department to discuss any issues regarding quality management. This can be done at department level or at level of a project, product or services
- Train and supervise employees in their jobs
- Assist employees to solve problems, using quality management techniques
- Ensure that the quality of goods and services produced by the plant is in line with company standards and objectives for the product or service provided
- Ensure that methods of production are safe for both workers and the environment
- Confer regularly with other staff members to discuss quality problems and possible solutions
- Keep abreast of new procedures or techniques through training, reading and other relevant activities so that you are aware of how best to approach quality issues as they arise
- Consult with the quality manager and other personnel to design quality strategies and goals for the department, which will be implemented by employees
- Plan and develop a budget
- Monitor costs to ensure they are within budget, while ensuring good quality
- Present reports to management on progress in the implementation of quality systems
- Help to promote the implementation of quality systems throughout the company
- Develop and implement policies relating to all operations in accordance with company objectives. Ensure these policies are adhered to by personnel under your supervision and that appropriate records are kept for future reference
- Keep management informed on product quality and any concerns that may influence this measure, such as complaints from customers or suppliers etcetera.
Quality Director Job Description for Resume
If you have worked previously as a quality director or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume or CV, then you can create an effective Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the quality director job description example provided above.
You can utilize the quality director duties and responsibilities contained in the above job description sample in expressing the ones you have performed or are currently carrying out in your resume’s Professional Experience.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the quality director’s role, which can greatly boost your resume and increase your chances of being hired for the new job that you are seeking, especially if it requires someone with some quality director work experience.
Quality Director Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are major requirements you may be asked to meet to be hired for the quality director job:
- Degree in a relevant subject; or previous experience in quality management or auditing
- High level of technical aptitude and knowledge, ideally in a scientific field
- Ability to think logically and independently
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to take decisions and manage others within the company or departmental facilities
- Ability to influence people by making good judgments and being able to handle criticism with tact, diplomacy, and potency
- Good communication skills, including writing skills, presentations, etcetera
- Ability to work under pressure with a high level of efficiency
- Must be able to work with a team and be flexible
- Ability to speak foreign languages, especially Spanish or French is an advantage.
Quality Director Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average compensation for a director of quality in the United States is $131,930 per year.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the quality director career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities commonly performed by quality directors.
It is also helpful to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the quality director position in their organizations.