This post provides exhaustive information on the quality assurance tester job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the quality assurance tester role.
What Does a Quality Assurance Tester Do?
The quality assurance tester is responsible for finding bugs and errors in a computer program or software system; they create test cases and scenarios.
The quality assurance tester job description entails performing unit, regression, and load testing of software systems.
It also involves maintaining a software fix schedule.
The QA tester is responsible for working with technical support and production to solve issues, and assisting in the overall project delivery.
They write reports on progress towards the software fix schedule and perform quality assurance testing of the software.
Verifying that the data in the system represents correctly at all times is another duty they perform.
This position provides timely support to end users with software problems.
The QA tester collaborates with software development on test cases and scenarios and ensures that proper tests have been created and run to eliminate defects before going into production.
Quality Assurance Tester Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The quality assurance tester job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Checking for errors in the game programs after they are developed
- Compiling testing records and verifying the programs
- Creating reports on bugs in the programs and sending to developers for fixing or adjusting
- Maintaining documents and records of testing process, such as defect reports, test results, test plans, etc.
- Participating in programming by writing scripts for tests or providing suggestions for improvement of the program design/architecture/components to prevent defects from occurring again in future releases of the program/product development cycles
- Writing procedures manuals or instructions on how to use each test, such as how to use the test suite and software application
- Seeking assistance from other QA testers in performance of those tasks
- Performing job related duties, such as mentoring junior quality assurance testers and working as a member of an effective team
- Participating in the planning and scheduling of testing activities required to complete all programming requirements by the development team, which must be scheduled ahead of actual delivery dates by the development team to ensure quality and timely delivery of final products throughout the time line of project development activities
- Performing or assisting in performing activities to support formal test-related processes, such as configuration management and risk management
- Identifying problems to the development team and providing suggestions for improvement.
Quality Assurance Tester Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume or CV as someone who has worked before as a quality assurance tester or are presently working in that role, then you can apply the above quality assurance tester job description example in making a great Professional Experience section for your resume/CV.
You can express the duties and responsibilities that you carried out as a quality assurance tester in your resume’s Professional Experience section by using the ones highlighted in the sample job description above.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the duties and responsibilities of a quality assurance tester, which can enhance the effectiveness of your resume, especially if the new position that you are applying for requires someone with some quality assurance tester work experience.
Quality Assurance Tester Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a quality assurance tester, here are major requirements employers/recruiters may want you to meet to be hired:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, majoring in computer science or information systems is required
- Previous work experience as a software programmer or game programmer is preferred but not a requirement for this position
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and verbal communications skills are required to be able to coordinate with developers and provide accurate information/feedback regarding testing progress and result reports of the software products being developed or game programs being designed and built on time lines as required by the development team members
- A basic knowledge and understanding of how to write computer program codes in particular languages, such as C++, Java and Object C to implement testing scripts and test the prototype or final version of a software program product is required. This skill is learned through education programs or previous experience as a software programming intern or game programming intern
- A good understanding of the theories and principles of good software development or game development practices as practiced in the industry, including object-oriented design/programming (OOD)/model-view-controller (MVC) design pattern concepts and UML 2 class diagrams is required
- Good interpersonal skills, excellent verbal and written communications skills and ability to work in a team environment is required. This means the QA tester must be able to communicate with developers regarding defects discovered within a program or software application and developers must be able to communicate with the quality assurance tester regarding what are the next steps for testing
- A basic understanding of how to use the development tools, such as an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), Profiler, Debugger, Tracer/Reverse Engineer tools and the integrated testing libraries or APIs is required
- Knowledge about the latest object-oriented programming features and advancements, such as polymorphism and generics in C++ language or Java language is required
- Skills and knowledge of the latest version of the development tools (such as Visual Studio 2010) are required
- Additional skills and knowledge is preferred such as an understanding of how to use and operate game development tools, such as 3D game engines to create games, such as Blue Dragon Engine or Unity Engine product development lifecycle tools, such as Unity Editor and Unreal Editor Product Development Lifecycle toolkit.
Quality Assurance Tester Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average compensation for a QA tester in the United States is $58,669 per year.
The role of the quality assurance tester has changed over time due to the accelerating pace at which technology has been developed.
The need for software testing has risen as companies have been forced to produce more requirements in less time.
The increase in demand for quality assurance testing has led to an increase in demand for QA testers, resulting in a rise in salaries, especially within the United States.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the quality assurance tester career who want to know what the role does.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the quality assurance tester position in their companies.