This post provides detailed information on the purchasing assistant job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
It also highlights important requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the purchasing assistant role by most employers/recruiters.
What Does a Purchasing Assistant Do?
A purchasing assistant is responsible for a company’s receipt and storage of raw materials.
The purchasing assistant job description involves engaging in job quotations and negotiations with suppliers for the company.
It also entails keeping records of all the received items, with quantities, prices, discounts and other features.
Purchasing assistants are also responsible for coordinating with vendors on delivery dates to ensure that all orders are on time, correct, and in good condition before delivery takes place.
They fill out paperwork for new purchases including requisition forms, confirmation and acceptance forms.
It is also their duty to help solve disputes with vendors, suppliers, and contractors when necessary.
Purchasing assistants also help with inventory management, including receiving, storing, and arranging distribution of materials.
They may be tasked to help with arrangement for transportation of goods when necessary.
Timely budgeting is also a responsibility of the purchasing assistant.
The purchasing assistant work description also entails ensuring security of the warehouse against theft, fire, and damage due to natural calamities by keeping a proper record of all goods in stock, including their location and condition.
They must ensure that all items at hand are used before any new procurement takes place so that no items go unused or unutilized as per company policy.
This professional makes periodic report of inventory to managers and CEO.
They are responsible for monitoring and submitting progress reports of all the orders from suppliers to ensure safety and availability of supplies.
The purchasing assistant is responsible for sending clarifications and requests for change in items, prices or quantities to the suppliers.
Purchasing Assistant Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The purchasing assistant job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Keeps purchasing office and warehouse records in a neatly filed manner
- Orders all necessary supplies for the office and maintains records of same
- Arranges for transportation and delivery of goods, making sure that orders are filled and inspected properly upon arrival
- Keeps inventory of all goods and keeps them stored safely in warehouse or storage room
- Maintains inventory control system to ensure safety and accuracy of the stored items, notes any problems with items or shipments, notifies supervisor immediately when necessary
- Notifies supervisor immediately any shortages or discrepancies between inventory counts posted by the computer system and actual counts revealed by physical inspections
- Keeps records of all expense reports and purchases that are made for the company
- Keeps track of purchases, sales and inventories, both on a daily basis and accumulatively for the company
- Prepares reports about inventory, supply needs and any other problems that may arise
- Keeps records of all goods that leave the warehouse, noting when and to whom they went
- Makes out reports for the company and supplies them to appropriate personnel
- Receives goods that arrive at the warehouse and makes sure that they are recorded accurately in the system
- May assist in receiving goods from vendors, unloading trucks, moving goods from storage in warehouse to storage on loading dock and performing other duties necessary for smooth operation of business/department
- Packages and labels purchases before shipping them out, using materials supplied by management or vendor specifications as needed.
Purchasing Assistant Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a purchasing assistant or are currently working in that position and are making a new resume or CV, then you can make a compelling Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the sample purchasing assistant job description provided above.
You can express the duties and responsibilities you have performed or are currently performing as a purchasing assistant by utilizing the ones in the above purchasing assistant job description template.
This will prove to recruiters/employers that you have been successful working as a purchasing assistant, which can greatly improve your chances of being hired for the new job that you are seeking, especially if it requires someone with some purchasing assistant work experience.
Purchasing Assistant Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the purchasing assistant role by most recruiters/employers:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced computer skills and experience in computerized inventory systems
- Ability to communicate effectively with vendors and customers as needed, resolving issues if needed
- Knowledge of inventory control techniques, making sure that all goods are kept well-stocked for maximum efficiency of business or department, that there are no shortages or over-stock situations, etc.
- Must be able to discuss problems with supervisor and work with the team to resolve them in a timely manner whenever needed
- Ability to work with other personnel and handle customers in a professional manner, offering recommendations and suggestions as needed
- Strong ability to organize and clear out the warehouse or storeroom on a daily basis, making sure that everything is put away properly with adequate space
- Must be able to maintain an effective filing system containing all necessary information about shipments, purchases, inventory control and other items for avoidance of problems when needed
- Possess excellent record-keeping skills and organizational abilities to keep accurate records of ongoing situations regarding inventory, purchasing activities, sales or other matters that need handling each day or each week
- Must be able to handle responsibility for keeping records of materials used in the office and stores
- Excellent organizational and planning skills to keep a record of all items required for daily operations, including sales, orders, and the purchase of materials
- Must be able to maintain an effective system which will make sure that there are no shortages or over-stock situations in relation to purchases, sales or materials held within the storage room/warehouse.
Purchasing Assistant Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average compensation for a purchasing assistant in the United States is $40,831 per year.
This article is helpful to individuals interested in the purchasing assistant career who want to learn all about their duties and responsibilities to decide if it’s the right career for them.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in making effective job descriptions for the purchasing assistant position in their companies for use in hiring competent individuals to the position.