This post provides detailed information on the production line worker job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they typically perform.
It also highlights the major requirements to be met to be offered the production line worker role by most employers/recruiters.
What Does a Production Line Worker Do?
The production line worker is responsible for implementing the operating schedule on the production lines.
The production line worker job description entails scheduling personnel and monitoring performance on the production lines.
It also involves operating each piece of equipment used in the department and understanding its functions thoroughly.
Production line workers ensure the safety of others by making sure all equipment within the facility is working properly and doing what it’s supposed to do.
They may also have to keep track of who is coming into contact with dangerous materials.
Production line workers are responsible for ensuring that all potential sources of dangerous materials are kept in sanitary condition as much as possible when people are working in or around them.
It is their duty to work with other departments to ensure they are following state guidelines.
They also ensure that sanitation workers are properly trained and prepared for their job in the event a fire breaks out in a certain area of the facility or any kind of emergency occurs.
Training employees in safety measures to keep themselves and other personnel safe is an important part of their tasks.
The production line worker work description also involves overseeing all aspects of the department, including keeping the inventory stocked and ordering new parts when needed.
It also entails completing operational tasks and making sure the proper procedures are being followed on the production lines at all times.
One of the more common responsibilities of a production line worker is keeping track of sanitary conditions within their department and investigating any kind of health concerns that arise in other departments so they can be reported to personnel who will take care of them.
The production line worker’s main purpose is to ensure that all operations are functioning correctly and that the department is running smoothly and safely.
It is also their duty to run report on product demand, as well as meet with other production managers to ensure they are running as smoothly as possible, and reporting any kind of problems immediately so they can be corrected quickly.
The production line worker is also responsible for keeping their own team in line, making sure that everyone is aware of the current guidelines and policies for operating the equipment in a safe manner.
They work with other departments who have equipment or products being used or stored in their area of responsibility.
Production Line Worker Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The production line worker job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Keeps production area clean, sanitized, and free of debris
- Washes glassware and other materials as needed
- Keeps sufficient stock of glassware to meet production demands
- Removes used glassware from sterilizing baths, washers, and other equipment in a timely manner to prevent contamination of glassware and other materials while they are being sterilized, washed or dried
- Observes gauges or meters to determine when washers are full; unloads sterilizers, washers and dryers when they are full by opening drain valves
- Observes gauges or meters to determine when sterilizers, washers and dryers are full; unloads sterilizers, washers and dryers when they are full by opening discharge valves
- Observes gauges or meters to determine when sterilizers, washers and dryers are full; unloads sterilizers, washers and dryers when they are full by turning off heaters, filters, water circuits, or other equipment that is needed for processing of items
- Cleans floors of production lines and wash stations as needed; cleans walls, equipment housing areas and work areas with detergents after disinfections and decontaminations have been completed.
Production Line Worker Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a production line worker or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume or CV, then you can apply the above production line worker job description sample in creating an effective Professional Experience section for your resume.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities that you have performed or are currently carrying out as a production line worker in your resume’s Professional Experience by utilizing the ones expressed in the above production line worker job description example.
This will convince the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the production line worker role, which can greatly enhance your chances of getting hired for the new position, especially if the new job requires someone with some work experience as a production line worker.
Production Line Worker Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the production line worker position:
- Have the ability and willingness to work overtime, weekends, and holidays, when needed to do so
- Ability to lift 50 pounds regularly and some light lifting up to 100 pounds
- Good hand/eye coordination; ability to see and manipulate objects simultaneously in multiple locations; good fine motor skills, excellent manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination
- Ability to fully understand and carry out job tasks as described in the work instructions
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret company policies, rules, procedures and standard operating procedures; plays an active role in the review of new policies, rules, procedures and standard operating procedures; can interpret company safety and safety related regulations; demonstrate those abilities during routine training sessions or examinations given by supervisors
- Ability to communicate with coworkers over telephone or intercom; ability to communicate effectively using language that is understandable to various workgroup members; ability to listen effectively while speaking with coworkers over telephone or intercom with questions that may arise in the performance of production line tasks
- Ability to communicate with coworkers in a workgroup setting; ability to organize and complete set production line tasks based on job needs and standards, ability to keep track of job tasks through completion
- Must be able to operate mechanical equipment (computers, fork lifts, etc.)
- Ability to recognize potential safety hazards and safety risks; ability to report potential safety hazards and safety risks
- Must be able to work a variety of shifts including nights, weekends or holidays as needed by the company.
Production Line Worker Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average compensation for a production line worker in the United States is $33,668 per year.
The production line worker is one of the most important positions on a production line.
Their role as team members is to ensure that the production process is done correctly, in a timely manner and without errors.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the production line worker career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about the production line worker duties and responsibilities to decide if that is the job they want to do.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the production line worker position in their companies.
They can apply the production line worker job description template provided on this page.