Orthopedic Doctor Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an Orthopedic Doctor Do?
An orthopedic doctor is normally a medical professional whose work involves the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of patients who suffer from muscular and/or skeletal injuries.
That is to say that an orthopedic doctor specializes in orthopedics with a job description that entails treating chronic and acute injuries and pains in patients. These include pain that emanates from previous injuries which become more problematic over time. In some cases also, these chronic situations usually originate at birth.
Surgeries are usually carried out in order to enhance the functioning of patients’ affected body parts, heal injuries, and/or alleviate pain.
It is important to also note that orthopedic doctors also make use of other methods of treatment like rehabilitation; they also make use of corrective instruments like braces and casts to support bones or to steady a fracture.
In the case of non-surgical treatments, the doctor may recommend/prescribe drugs for patients or in some cases work hand-in-hand with other medical professionals to develop treatment routes for patients.
He/she work in different health care centers like hospitals and clinics and may specialize in certain areas like sports medicine.
Orthopedic doctors may come together to form a single medical body, or may even be part of a wider medical practice that involves specialists from different medical fields.
Orthopedic Doctor Job Description Example/Template
An orthopedic doctor performs various functions in ensuring that patients are properly attended to and are well treated.
Below is a job description showing major tasks, duties, and responsibilities typically assigned to individuals who work as orthopedic doctor in most health centers, hospitals, or clinics:
- Interview patients to get information on their medical history (usually to know if they have any form of allergies before the commencement of treatment)
- Carry out checks on patients by making use of specialized instruments to determine the extent of fracture or injury
- Carry out required surgical procedures to re-fix broken/fractured bones
- Prescribe necessary drugs that will help patients in their recovery process
- Responsible for the supervision and assignment of duties to nurses and other medical staff within the organization
- Monitor the healing process of patients to determine if there is any need for a tweak in their treatment plan
- Refer patients to other medical specialists like physiologists to help in the patients’ treatment procedure and to provide additional medical care
- Educate relatives of patients on ways by which they can support them through recovery
- Make arrangement for after-surgery rehabilitation plans that will help patients’ healing process
- Perform blood tests for patients in a bid to check for any sort of degenerative bone condition
- Perform diagnosis and examination of fractures or bone deformities in order to determine which mode of treatment will be proper
- Study patients’ medical history so as to be able to determine patterns in the injury or disorder
- Attend medical programs and courses to enhance professional abilities.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Orthopedic Doctor Role
When hiring for the role of orthopedic doctor, most employers will expect you to meet the following requirements and qualifications to be considered for an interview:
- Must possess excellent communication skills on all fronts
- Must have good interpersonal skills to be able to get along with patients with ease
- Must possess good analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Must be someone who is understanding, caring, and patient at all times
- Ability to multitask is very important
- Must have excellent hand-eye coordination at all times
- Must be flexible in carrying out his/her duties. This is basically due to the fact that there are usually no two exact scenarios in the case of bone fractures
- Knowledge of methods and equipment used in orthopedic treatment
- Must have completed his/her studies in a certified medical school
- Must have at least 5 years work experience in orthopedic residency in a recognized health facility/hospital
- Must possess every necessary medical license and certification(s) to work within a particular locality.
You will find the orthopedic doctor work description sample provided in this post beneficial if you are an employer looking to hire for the position.
You are sure to be able to create an effective description for the role in your health care facility quickly and easily by applying the content of this post. This will help realize your desire to attract the best-qualified candidates to apply for the job.
Also, this post is helpful to individuals interested in a career in the field of orthopedic surgery in learning about the duties and responsibilities that mostly represent the position of orthopedic doctor.
Did you find this article helpful in learning about what orthopedic doctors do? Please, share what you think about this post in the comment box below. And if you work as a doctor in an orthopedic health care facility, do also share your job description.