New York Software Engineer Salary and How to Increase It
The software engineer salary in the State of New York is $106,162.
This post provides complete information on the salary a software engineer earns in New York. It also presents the cities and companies that pay the highest salaries to software engineers in the State of New York to enable you make the best decision about working and living in the State.
Please, keep reading:
New York is one of the North Eastern States where software engineers get highly paid and greatly motivated.
Software engineers in New York earn $106,162 yearly; however, the State has a high living condition of 132.7%.
New York is ranked 10th for software engineers in the US.
Software Engineer Salary across the New York Cities
Manhattan is the highest paying city for software engineers in the state of New York followed by New York City and Smithtown.
Smithtown bests the New York average by 8.7% and the city of Manhattan furthers that average by 12.7%, the difference in salary between Manhattan and Staten Island is 18%.
Top 10 Paying Cities for Software Engineers in the State of New York
New York State has many cities within, but some of these cities are more favorable for software engineers to work and live in.
The table below shows the highest paying cities in the state of New York:
|City||Yearly Salary ($)|
|New York City||108,165|
Software Engineer Salary Based on Skills in the State of New York
Skilled software engineers in New York earn more than the unskilled ones. Below are the top skills that software engineers need in the state of New York to earn high:
- Scala skilled software engineers in New York earn 24.30%, which adds up to $25,797 as yearly add on to their salaries.
- Os Kernels skilled software engineers in New York earn 17.55%, which adds up as $18,631 yearly to salary.
- Big Data skilled software engineers in New York have an added on to their salary of $12,431, which is 17.35%.
- Microservices skilled software engineers in New York have a 16.13% added on, which translate to 17,123 yearly added to salary.
- Machine Learning skilled software engineers in New York earn 11.71%, which is $12,431 as yearly add on to their salaries.
- Data Structures skilled software engineers in New York earn 10.99%, which is $11,667 as add on to their salaries.
Software Engineer Salary Based on Experience in the State of New York
Experienced software engineers in New York State earn more than their counterparts that are not experienced.
Shown below is a list of the years of experience and the salary attached for a software engineer in New York:
- Below one year as software engineer in New York earns based on level of experience $115,725 yearly.
- 1-2 years of software engineering experience in New York earns $118,896 yearly.
- 3-5 years of experience as a New York software engineer earns $120,000 yearly.
- 6 – 9 years experienced software engineer in New York earns $135,993 yearly.
- 10 years and above as a software engineer in New York earns $155,802 yearly.
10 Highest Paying Companies for Software Engineers in the State of New York
Many companies can be found in the state of New York; however, the software engineer can make more money from any of the following:
|Company||Yearly Salary ($)|
More Benefits for Software Engineers in the State of New York
Software engineers in New York State get more benefits aside from their salaries, which come in the form of incentives and bonuses, which can translate into cash in the long run.
Here are major benefits a software engineer can enjoy in the State of New York:
- Stock Options. New York software engineers partake of the stocks of the company they work for. They are given stocks as long term incentives for working for them and they get the dividends as the company declares.
- Visa Assistance. Trainings, seminars, and workshops are events that software engineers get invited to outside the country. The software engineer in New York State gets assistance from their parent company to get visa to attend such events.
- Vision Insurance. New York software engineers are insured for their vision by the company they work for. Their vision is very important and the utmost care and consideration is given to making the software engineer’s vision healthy.
- Commuter Assistance. Getting to work for the New York State software engineer is not an easy task. With the high traffic and uneasy movement, it is best the company provides commuter assistance for them to help in conveying them to and from work.
- Health Insurance. The mental and physical health of the New York State software engineer is very important. They are therefore given a health insurance benefit to help them to constantly monitor their health issues.
What Related Job Titles to Software Engineers Earn in the State of New York
Some job related titles to the software engineer in the state of New York are listed out below; some of these titles earn higher or lower than the software engineer in the State:
- Backend developer in New York earns a yearly salary of $135,772.
- Full stack developer in New York earns $125,651 yearly as salary.
- Front end developer in New York earns $111,765 yearly as salary.
- Developer in New York earns $103,877 as yearly salary.
- Application developer in New York earns $101,284 as yearly salary.
Software Engineer Job and Salary Outlook in the State of New York
New York has an 18% variation in salary between its highest paying city and the lowest paying city.
The job outlook looks very intense and getting a job in this State is very difficult for the aspiring software engineer, but if the aspiring engineer is bent on moving to New York then a 12.7% cost of living might be the best factor.
How To Increase Your Salary as a software Engineer in the State of New York
Here are ideas you can apply to increase your salary if you work in New York as a software engineer:
- Relocate. As a software engineer in New York State and you are living outside the top ten highest paying cities, it is advised that you make a move to one of the highest paying cities and earn an increase in your salary.
See table above for the top cities in New York that pay the highest salaries that you can relocate to as a software engineer.
- Get a good set of skills. Time has shown that skills are much needed in the software engineer career, and getting the top needed skills will greatly increase your salary.
See also the table above on the top paying software engineering skills in the State of New York that you can develop to increase your pay.
- Get a degree. Education is another way to increase your salary in the State of New York as a software engineer.
Getting a relevant and professional degree will help you stand tall and of course the increase in salary will follow.
- Work for high paying companies. You can also work with any of the highest paying companies in New York as shown above to increase your salary as a software engineer.
More Career Opportunities for Software Engineers in the State of New York
Software engineers in the State of New York have alternative careers they may want to explore with their skills, there include:
- Aerospace engineer in New York earns $117,000 yearly salary.
- Information security analyst earns in New York $114,000 yearly salary.
- Naval architect in New York earns $106,000 as yearly salary.
- Marine engineer in New York earns $106,000 as yearly salary.
New York State is in the North Eastern part of the U.S, It’s a region setting the pace for software engineering jobs.
For the upcoming software engineers moving to New York, it can be a herculean task with a yearly salary of $105,162 and cost of living 132.7%.