This post provides complete information on the job description of a mechanical maintenance technician, to increase your knowledge of what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the mechanical maintenance technician work description.
What Does a Mechanical Maintenance Technician Do?
The major duties of the mechanical maintenance technician post are to guarantee the maintenance of mechanical processes in a manner that will ensure the highest reliability.
The job description of someone holding this post covers performing repairs on malfunctioning motors, controls, pumps, and other components.
Their roles may also involve operating machines and equipment such as grinder, and lathe. They are also liable for the safe utilization of hand tools, lift trucks, hoists and power tools.
Mechanical maintenance technicians work closely in the operating location in which they are designated to provide intellectual wisdom into the operation of their unit’s concepts, to guarantee that business and objectives are attained.
In this wise, if operational or business conditions necessitate, the mechanical maintenance technician may be requested to backfill operations staff as required daily, to achieve organizational targets.
He/she will always take full responsibility for their work and render assistance in any capacity to ensure security of contractors and team members.
The potential applicant for this position will carry out the necessary troubleshooting of processes and should have the relevant skills to perform diagnosis of hydraulic, mechanical and pneumatic problems in relation to process equipment.
Mechanical Maintenance Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The essential duties, tasks, and responsibilities of a mechanical maintenance technician are given in the position’s job description sample shown below. These can also be used in creating a resume for job hunting.
- Guarantee that all safe work procedures and security guidelines are adhered to
- Offer assistance to operations in running machines at standard speeds and centerline conditions so as to enhance productivity and efficiency
- Offer assistance with troubleshooting of equipment problems
- Observe conditions of equipment through vibration analysis and lubrication
- Complete maintenance care obligations and render assistance in equipment repair as necessary
- Take part in organizational enhancement teams such as security committee
- Perform quality improvement and cost reduction and productivity as obligated
- Participate in sharing of knowledge so as to mentor and train other unit members in areas of operations and maintenance to enhance their development
- Guarantee operation of mechanical gadgets and machinery by ensuring completion of preventative maintenance prerequisites on production machines, motors, engines, conveyor systems, and pneumatic tools
- Oversee mechanical devices while in operation and listen for complications using accurate testing and measuring instruments
- Take out inoperative parts by disassembling devices with the use of cranes, hoists, hand and power tools; and also observing texture and form of parts
- Ascertain changes in dimensional requisite of parts by examining used parts and utilizing micrometers, rules, calipers, and other measuring appliances
- Regulate downtime by enlightening production staff on standard preventive maintenance methods and monitoring their compliance.
Mechanical Maintenance Technician Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
A professional mechanical maintenance technician will be expected to possess the following aptitude and qualifications that enhance performance of duties:
- High school diploma with not less than five years practical experience in the maintenance field
- Outstanding experience and expertise in maintenance and installation work on plant electrical mechanisms and equipment
- Strong knowledge of mechanisms and control systems
- Exceptional ability to perform in a noisy, humid, hot and high volume machine production environment.