Macy’s Hiring Process: Job Application, Interviews, and Employment
The hiring process at Macy’s involves various stages, including the job application and interview processes that you must complete successfully to gain employment with the Company.
Please, read on:
Macy’s Company Overview
Macy’s, known as R.H Macy & Co originally, is a very large department store chain founded by Rowland Hussey Macy in the year 1858.
Macy founded three other dry goods store as well, but Macy’s was the only establishment that sprung up successfully.
During the initial existence of the store, very little sales were made, and much revenue wasn’t generated.
Currently, the company is one of the largest department stores in the United States, when it comes to retail sales.
A very large number of Macy’s stores are scattered all over U.S., and even beyond.
Furthermore, it generates billions of dollars annually and more than a hundred thousand employees are gainfully employed in the company.
The Macy’s Hiring Process
To be employed at Macy’s, you have to begin your journey into their hiring process and complete the procedure successfully by undergoing the following stages:
- The Job Application
You need to first apply for a job to get an entry into the hiring process. Macy’s recommends and prefers an online application, rather than walking into one of the stores to get a paper application.
Search and select the preferred job on the company’s career portal. After choosing the specific position, a new page will come up to provide you with detailed information about the responsibilities and criteria needed for the job.
There is usually a highlighted “Apply Now” button. Quickly click on it to continue. As an applicant that hasn’t applied for a job at Macy’s before, you will need to create an account/profile, which will enable you complete the application process and then monitor the application’s progress later on.
To create this account/profile, there is a black “Create a new account” highlighted button that you should click.
After that, some instructions will appear on the page, correctly follow them to create your account and then send your job application successfully.
2. Interview Process
After submitting the online application, you will have to experience a waiting period for several weeks after which you will be invited for an interview.
An interview can only come up if your resume which you submitted during the application has been reviewed by the hiring team and considered suitable for the position as well.
You will be asked to come to a store location that is not too far from where you reside, so you can be interviewed in person.
You are likely to be interviewed by the hiring manager, who will talk to you to examine if you are the appropriate candidate for the position.
During the Macy’s interview, the hiring manager will ask lots of questions, which might include:
- Give me an exceptional reason why you want to work for our company?
- I’d like to hear from your own description of an excellent customer service?
- What is the most appropriate manner to handle a customer who’s upset?
- What do you love most about fashion?
- Do you wish to ask me anything?
Furthermore, the interview is a tool used by Macy’s to search for individuals who can be devoted and committed in working towards the company’s goals.
People who are capable of looking for creative solutions to resolving work-related issues have a tendency of getting hired after the interview.
It is advised to be very prepared for this interview.
Here are some helpful tips that you might need use when making preparations:
- Make sure you take extra copies of your resume and reference letters, as well as ID, which proves you are right to work in the U.S. when going for the interview. This is highly recommended.
- Before the interview date, prepare some intelligent questions, which you might ask the interviewer.
- Arrive early for the interview. Being late to an interview typically says you have no interest in the job.
- Dress in appropriate attire for the interview, perhaps a corporate outfit.
3. Hearing from Macy’s after the Interview
As an applicant, after you have completed your interview with the hiring manager, getting a response from the hiring team strongly depends on the position you are applying for.
There are some applicants that have been employed on the spot during an interview. This can be as a result of their roles or how they performed in the interview.
Moreover, the Macy’s hiring team usually ensures that they respond to an applicant not more than a month after the interview.
4. Orientation and Training Process
Once you have been hired at Macy’s, it is very necessary that you undergo the company’s orientation and training process.
This will get you prepared and fit to function in your position. Based on your role, you are likely to be trained using a Computer Based Training (CBT), including on floor training, so you can have a full understanding how Macy’s operates.
Aside from this training, expect an orientation that will clearly educate you about Macy’s policies, culture, and typical daily life working at the company.
Macy’s Jobs and Careers
At Macy’s, there are plenty of roles that you can apply for. However, the company is known for accepting applications for the following positions:
- Merchandise Handler: This employee has the responsibility to set up the display, clothing racks, and shelving. Offering logistics for retail employees and moving weighty objects are included in this employee’s responsibilities.
- Counter sales associate: This employee knows all about the fashion accessories such as necklaces, earrings, and watches, as well as health and beauty products, in order to attend to customers who want to purchase any of these products.
- Sales supervisor: This employee is usually assigned to specific areas, and his/her major responsibility is to increase sales. Monitoring and teaching sales personnel to improve selling habits is part of a sale supervisor’s duties as well.
- Receiving team lead: This employee is responsible for accepting and processing all merchandise that enter and leave the building, including maintaining the store’s merchandise.
What to Expect Working at Macy’s
As an applicant who is preparing to work at Macy’s, you should know it is fun dealing with varieties of the company’s products.
You will be able to learn new and trending things about fashion and retail generally.
The company has a great culture, and co-workers are friendly, easy going, and supportive.
There is opportunity for career advancement, and you will definitely receive good wages.
However, some Macy’s personnel normally complain about dealing with rude customers every day and not being appreciated for hard work and long working hours.
Depending on your role or the department you work at, there might be lots of duties to be performed daily.
The various career opportunities and jobs provided by Macy’s are pretty exceptional, unlike what happens at most retail companies.
By just taking a brief look around any website of Macy’s, you will understand how the company can positively affect your career.
This article has provided a guide that will help applicants in submitting their online job applications and complete the Macy’s hiring process successfully.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.