This post provides detailed information on the lawn care technician job
description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired for the lawn care technician role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Lawn Care Technician Do?
Lawn care technicians are experts who take care of the health and appearance of customer’s lawns.
Landscape management and lawn care technicians help preserve and enhance a client’s landscape investment. They also care for all plant types.
The lawn care technician job description can go from caring for residential scrubs and grass to more technical stuff such as tending to trees, turfs, and other landscape elements at a luxury resort.
Because maintaining the beauty and attractiveness of landscapes is very popular, there is hardly any shortage of work for technicians involved in lawn care services.
Lawn Care Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Lawn care technicians perform various functions to keep their clients’ lawns looking beautiful.
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the lawn care technician job description are shown below:
- Ensure that landscape quality is not reduced and the lawn is monitored
- Remove small soil plugs from the ground and conduct seeding
- Ensure flower beds are fertilized and mulched
- Trim and prune shrubs and small trees
- Prevent and control diseases, weeds, and insects
- Perform Integrated Pest Management (IPM) using chemical, organic, or manual controls
- Work with and report to the supervisor to review the day’s work with a direct foreman
- Conduct review schedules of the labor force and clients
- Ensure inventory procedures are followed
- Be open to receiving training for field needs, technique, equipment, etc.
- Run smooth operations, punctuality, safety, and quality control
- Perform maintenance and landscape tasks for the client
- Deliver work according to the contract specifications
- Execute gardens and lawns maintenance, and periodic clean-ups
- Perform all duties of operations, which include trimming, mowing, edging, etc.
- Ensure proper use of ergonomic practices, personal protective and safety equipment
- Attend to concerns or questions with clients by forwarding them to the foreman
- Communicate customer opportunities immediately with the account representatives
- Carry out filling of electronic card time
- Ensure successful completion of all job site reports
- Report all sales opportunities
- Plan and prepare for the next day’s work every evening
- Loading/unloading materials and equipment
- Clean and wash dirty equipment and return to the storage location
- Report broken or damaged equipment to management immediately
- Fill equipment, mowers, lorry, and can with fuel and fuel additive in preparation for the next day’s work
- Follow the company’s manual strictly.
Lawn Care Technician Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for a Successful Career
Employers of prospective lawn care technicians expect them to possess certain skills, abilities, knowledge, etc. to be considered for the role.
This is to ensure that anyone that is eventually hired for the lawn care technician position will be able to effectively perform the work description that will be handed to them, including carrying out the company’s objective, purpose, and obligations for the role.
Given below are typical requirements individuals seeking the lawn care technician position may have to fulfill to be considered for the job:
- Possess GED or a High School Diploma
- Possess good landscape experience
- Must possess applicator’s license
- Should display strong organizational skills
- Must be able to complete appropriate reports and paperwork
- Ability to provide high-quality customer service
- Should be able to follow directions and process/procedures
- Good grasp of more than one language is essential
- Ability to work effectively with people of varying skill levels in a team
- Must be a highly motivated and fast learner
- Should be able to lift 60+ lbs consistently
- Strong ability to pay attention to detail
- Must be able to deal with ambiguity in a high-stress environment
- Should be able to keep composure while working
- Should be available to work a varied schedule (Saturdays included) no matter the weather
- Should be able to stoop, stand, and bend for 10+ hours a day
- Must possess strong knowledge of land care maintenance
- Ability to study daily if not experienced in every area of landscaping
- Must have attained age 18 or higher
- Must have a current valid driver’s license
- Should possess excellent and good driving record
- Should have reliable transportation and an updated proof of insurance
- Ability to read and understand, and write English, including maps and diagrams.
If you are an employer needing to hire a lawn care technician, you will find the sample job description provided in this post helpful in making an effective description of the role you want to fill.
By presenting a detailed list of duties and responsibilities successful candidates will perform for you or your organization in the work description, you will be able to attract the best qualified individuals for the lawn care technician job.
This article is equally helpful to individuals looking to become a lawn care technician. They will be able to learn about the duties and responsibilities of the role and what they need to succeed in the career.