This post provides detailed information on the kitchen assistant job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may need to fulfill to be hired for the kitchen assistant position.
What Does a Kitchen Assistant Do?
Kitchen assistants are responsible for overseeing the kitchen staff and the general duties of a chef.
The kitchen assistant job description involves managing food preparation and maintaining an efficient and clean kitchen environment.
Working under the supervision of a chef, the kitchen assistant makes sure that everything is done in a timely manner and in a professional manner.
They are also responsible for ensuring that proper procedures are followed to produce quality food.
It is also the duty of the kitchen assistant to ensure that all the information passed on to them by the chef is correct and does not contain any errors.
They also make sure that each piece of equipment meets specified standards.
The kitchen assistant keeps a record of all recipes, ingredients, food preparation and other details on a regular basis.
It is their responsibility to record all expenses incurred in the kitchen.
They make sure that there is proper documentation of what has been done and when, as well as food preparation, distribution, recipes and ingredients among others so they can be readily available whenever necessary.
The kitchen assistant work description also entails ensuring that the kitchen equipment is adequately stocked at all times.
It also involves ensuring that equipment is properly organized and that they are clean and in good repair.
Kitchen assistants will also work with suppliers to ensure that they meet the requirements of the kitchen.
They are also responsible for doing a periodic check on food preparation and quality, as well as checking storage and inventory among other things.
It is also their duty to participate in training sessions and give instructions to other kitchen staff and other members of the restaurant as well.
Besides the major tasks given to kitchen assistants by the chef when it comes to food preparation in a kitchen, they are also responsible for taking care of other details like cleaning work areas assigned to them, purchasing equipment and maintaining it, as well as handling confidential information.
It is also a part of the kitchen assistant’s duties to ensure that all relevant and legal documents are kept in order, maintained and updated whenever necessary.
One of their responsibilities involves establishing working relationships with other staff members by showing empathy with their work, attitude, and mannerisms.
Kitchen assistants keep an eye on the legal and ethical aspect of the business, as well as take part in issues regarding human resources.
They are involved in creating new dishes and menus and preparing for special events like parties and other social functions.
Kitchen assistants are in charge of fulfilling all customer orders, ensuring that foods are properly prepared and that they are safe to eat.
They also handle deliveries to customers by ensuring that everything goes smoothly from pickup to payment and delivery back to the kitchen.
Kitchen Assistant Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The kitchen assistant job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Keeps the kitchen clean
- Prepares foods by washing, peeling, rinsing or slicing them to ensure safety and hygiene in the kitchen
- Washes dishes using a dish machine and hand-washing procedure following proper sanitation procedures
- Cleans pans, utensils, appliances and equipment with detergents, brushes or soaps under the direction of an experienced cook
- Reads recipes to prepare food in compliance with standards of quality and quantity in restaurant menus and also prepares special orders under supervision
- Direct workers who prepare food such as chefs’ assistants and dishwashers
- Records food or product inventory, cost of materials and supplies, and preparation costs on a regular basis
- Sells beverages such as coffee, juice or soda in restaurant or cafeteria establishments
- Keeps supplies of food and beverage items stocked according to sales records or inventory reports
- Prepares special foods under the direction of a cook such as frying eggs, making omelets and preparing sandwiches
- Stores food products that must be cooled or kept cold at temperatures between 32F (0C) and 40F (4C).
- Scales ingredients for cooking, such as flour, sugar, dried beans and vegetables under the direction of a cook.
Kitchen Assistant Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before in the kitchen assistant role or are presently working in that position and are making a resume or CV for a new job, then you can apply the above kitchen assistant job description example in making the Professional Experience part of your resume.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities you have performed or are currently carrying out as a kitchen assistant by utilizing the ones provided in the sample kitchen assistant job description above.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful working as a kitchen assistant, which can greatly enhance your resume and improve your chances of being hired, especially if the new job that you are applying for requires someone with some kitchen assistant work experience.
Kitchen Assistant Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are major requirements that you may be expected to meet to be hired for the kitchen assistant role:
- High School Diploma or its equivalent educational qualification
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment and how to operate it
- Ability to talk louder than a whisper in order to be heard over the noise of working in the kitchen
- Knowledge of basics of food and beverage preparation
- Basic math skills
- Ability to memorize recipes in the kitchen
- Must be able to measure, cut, combine, and mix ingredients while following instructions given by the chef
- Have good vocabulary and grammar skills
- Be familiar with the use of computers
- Ability to speak another language aside from your mother tongue (preferably Spanish).
Kitchen Assistant Salary
According to Glassdoor, the annual total compensation for kitchen assistants in the United States is $46,874 with an average income of $31,649 each year.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the kitchen assistant career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities usually performed by kitchen assistants.
It is also helpful to recruiters/employers in making effective job description for the kitchen assistant position in their organizations for use in hiring for the role.