Junior Network Engineer Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Junior Network Engineer Do?
A junior network engineer is a professional whose job description entails overseeing the essential issues that have associations with controlling and keeping up a business’s network framework, including network availability, net access, email and other networking components.
He/she understands the subjects related to controlling and keeping up business Wide Area Network (WAN).
The specific role of a junior network engineer depends on the nature of the establishment he or she works with and the number of network engineers available to tend to network-related issues.
For instance, in a large organization, say a bank, the work of a junior engineer may be limited to one region of the framework, but in a small organization, he/she may need to investigate for any IT-related issue that emerges.
Overall, as a network engineer, regardless of your hierarchy, you are expected to be able to plan for framework setup and principles.
You are also responsible for designing new networking arrangements without bugs.
It is equally the duty of the junior engineer to investigate network issues such as blackout and take appropriate action to fix such when it arises.
The junior network engineer work description may also involve ensuring information and network security for the organization.
To achieve this, he/she may work under the supervision of a senior network engineer to set up the appropriate firewall infrastructure for the organization.
In the same vein, he/she must be able to constantly upgrade the organization’s firmware to ensure all-around security at all times.
Junior Network Engineer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The junior network engineer performs various functions in ensuring an organization’s network framework is in top operational state.
The job description commonly assigned to individuals who work as junior network engineers in most organizations consists of the tasks, duties, and responsible shown in the example below:
- Arrange and install network hardware and software as directed by the senior network engineer
- Screen network performance and report findings to immediate head
- Design and implement network security measures
- Give network status reports to chief technology officer, supervisor, and/or senior network engineer
- Design new arrangements to enhance the strength of the present network condition
- Investigate network issues and blackouts; redesign and work together with network designers on network enhancement
- Create and implement measures, traits, and access check to secure network frameworks
- Support and oversee firewall situations in accordance with established IT security procedures
- Upgrade information network to the most recent stable firmware release
- Configure and manage hardware, facilitated IP voice administrations, and firewalls
- Provide remote help to nearby engineers and end clients
- Undertake limited administration duties.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Junior Network Engineer Role
Basically, this section is created to help you to understand the qualifications and competencies required of a junior network engineer.
So, if you are a job seeker, this section will help you to understand what is expected of the right candidate for the position.
See below some of the major requirements that hiring managers look out for when recruiting for the role:
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related discipline such as computer science, computer software/computer systems engineering, computer systems and networks, network security management, etc.
- A good grasp of communication protocols (Mainly TCP/IP) and routing protocols (e.g. BGP, OSPF)
- Strong familiarity with control models and system security
- Strong understanding of system working frameworks (JUNOS, Cisco IOS)
- Attention to detail and strong ability to detect network issues quickly
- Capacity to work independently or with little supervision
- Ability to understand management’s business and industry needs, and specialized requests
- Organizational aptitudes and the capacity to organize workload
- Relevant work experience in a similar position or industrial attachment.
Your responsibilities as a junior network engineer in your company will depend on the size of the organization and the availability of networking experts. So, you are better off being good at some major networking skills.
If you are a job seeker, this post and the sample job description provided will help you to create the right resume and cover letter that can get you an interview.
It will also guide aspiring network engineers to know the skills to master to be able to stand out in the labor market.
Similarly, hiring managers can utilize the sample job description as a template to create a good description that can attract the caliber of network engineers they want for junior or entry-level positions.
Did this article help you understand what junior network engineers do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. If you work in the junior network engineering position in your organization, you can also share what your job description entails.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.