IT Asset Manager Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an IT Asset Manager Do?
An Information Technology (IT) asset manager is responsible for taking a detailed inventory of his/her organization’s software and hardware assets and applying the information gathered in making the best decision concerning IT-related purchases and redistribution for the organization.
The IT asset manager job description entails helping his/her organization to eliminate waste and increase efficiency by making the best use of existing IT asset resources and avoiding asset purchases that are unnecessary.
He/she helps his/her organization to make strategic decision and optimize spending within the IT environment, as well as enable their company to have a deeper understanding of its IT’s business value.
His/her role also entails developing and maintaining processes, policies, standards, systems and measurements that help the organization to effectively manage both on a daily basis and long-term its IT asset portfolio (software and technology-related hardware) with regards to cost, control, risk, compliance, business performance objectives, and IT Governance as established by the company.
He/she is responsible for ensuring quality control throughout the lifecycle of all company IT assets by developing and implementing appropriate procedures to track and manage them.
The IT asset manager work description also involves responsibilities for the governance concerning the ITAM tools applied in managing, monitoring, and reporting on IT assets and inventory.
His/her duties also involve managing and maintaining databases and records of information such as licenses, service agreements, and warranties for the organization’s software and hardware.
Information technology asset managers’ role also involves ensuring compliance with vendor contracts by carrying out effective planning and monitoring and working with hardware assets and software license.
They are also responsible for developing procurement strategies across the organization that optimizes technology spend.
To be effective on the job, IT asset managers utilize integrated software solutions that connect all company departments involved with IT assets, including the procurement, deployment, expense reporting, and management departments.
IT Asset Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
IT asset managers perform various functions in ensuring effective decision is made concerning their organizations’ software and technology-related hardware purchases and redistribution.
Given below is an example of the kind of job description, consisting of typical tasks, duties, and responsibilities, handed to IT asset managers to perform in most organizations:
- Perform daily and long-term operational and strategic management of hardware and software
- Plan, monitor, and record hardware assets and/or software license to make sure they complied with vendor contracts in different software tools
- Apply a continuous improvement approach in enhancing the strategies employed in technology spending, as well as in tracking company assets within the Configuration Management Database (CMDB) throughout their lifecycle
- Ensure effective management of the CMDB and that the content contained is accurate
- Provide supervision to staff of procurement analysts
- Provide KPI/Metric information and standardized reporting on a scheduled basis together with unscheduled reporting demanded by management
- Take part in various projects, providing support to VPs of Infrastructure and Finance
- Recruit a small team of asset analysts and supervise their performance
- Define and enhance scheme for identifying hardware and software-related assets as well as CIs, including versioning and dependencies in the asset management tools, attributes, the Contract management library, and the CMDB
- Manage inventory of CIs and assets, including dependencies and attributes), making sure that modifications, withdrawals, and additions of existing ones are correctly recorded by the teams in charge in the tools to ensure that the vendor contracts are complied with
- Responsible for managing lifecycle of hardware and software models in the DML right from their introduction to their retirement
- Generate and distribute various reports, including compliance reports on current assets and CIs and their status; also perform trend analyses
- Perform verification and audit of DML and CMDB content; verify software assets with license contracts, confirm hardware assets with actual inventory, and initiate corrective actions and tract them
- Manage activities concerning license compliance audits to be able to answer to requests from software editors effectively
- Ensure process efficiency by implementing the key performance indicators; suggest improvements to the process continuously
- Design processes relating to software and hardware asset management, execute and enhance them
- Establish and maintain documentation of procedures, processes, and reports concerning asset and configuration management
- Take part in other ITSM processes, or as required perform as a back up to maintain operational activities
- Create and execute governance and strategic asset management function
- Collaborate with infrastructure teams to determine trends in asset performance
- Perform research on industry best practice and incorporate it with organizational practices
- Establish and maintain hardware and software maintenance database.
Requirements – Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills – for IT Asset Manager Role
If you are applying for the job of an IT asset manager, here are major requirements, including knowledge, skills, and experience that you may be expected to have to be considered for the role and qualify for an interview appointment:
- Strong knowledge of IT software and hardware as well as five or more years experience working as an IT asset analyst
- Five years or more experience managing staff
- Strong knowledge and five years plus experience working with a CMDB and the specific business services that it supports
- Five years or more ITSM tool experience, as well as ServiceNow experience
- Proven ability and experience in executing strategic asset management processes successfully
- Profound knowledge of licensing agreements involving software, including Microsoft, IBM, and Oracle
- Strong vendor management and negotiation skills
- Strong knowledge of IT Service Management processes, as well as experience with Discovery tool
- Possess Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or business administration, or in other related field
- Strong ability to carry out assigned tasks independently with little supervision
- Excellent at performing multiple tasks at the same time without erring
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Possess IAITAM Certification, such as CHAMP, CSAM, and CITAM.
Are you an employer needing to create a description for the IT asset manager position for use in hiring for the role? If you are, you can simply make one by applying the sample job description provided in this post.
You are sure to be able to create an effective IT asset manager work description that can help you attract the best people to hire for the job by using the information in this article.
This post will also help you learn more about the duties and responsibilities of IT asset managers if you are interested in the career.
Did this post increase your knowledge of what IT asset managers do? Please, leave your comment in the box below. You can also share your job description if you work as an IT asset manager in your firm.