Inside Sales Representative Job Description Example
What Does an Inside Sales Representative Do?
Inside sales refers to a situation where professional selling is done by either using the computer or a phone.
The job description of an inside sales representative involves playing a fundamental role in achieving customer acquisition and revenue growth objectives.
He or she has to be comfortable making a lot of calls daily, and closing sales.
This kind of selling is sometimes known as virtual or remote sales, which is the direct opposite of outside sales involving face-to-face transactions.
In time past, inside sales professionals were limited to just generating viable leads and then forwarding them to those dedicated to closing the accounts.
In recent times, their role has evolved into a more in-depth one.
As an inside sales representative, it is your duty to find prospective customers, rate their interests and determine whether or not they have means to purchase the product. This way, you are able to know which of them is worth following up and then go ahead to pitch the products to them.
The sales representative might sometimes be required to act as a hybrid of inside and outside sales; in this case, he/she would be required occasionally to travel in order to meet with clients.
He/she is responsible for making contact with prospective clients so as to generate interest in the company’s products or services.
They are also to develop stronger liaison with existing customers.
These contacts are made through following up on customers by dispersing out marketing literature, email campaigns, cold calling, and email campaigns, as well as scheduling call backs.
The sales rep is one person in the company that must understand customer needs and requirements to be able to serve them better.
He or she is expected to deliver a consistent and clear proposition message on their company’s products as a tool to increasing customer interest level on the product.
These representatives are also responsible for running marketing campaigns in order to increase awareness of company brand.
They also assist in providing materials relating to marketing, and also information that could help in designing a market plan.
As a sales representative, your primary job is to lookout for ways of increasing product/service sales of your firm; however, you will only use the phone in reaching your prospects.
Inside Sales Representative Job Description Example
With the roles of an inside sales representative evolving rapidly, here is a list of primary duties, tasks, and responsibilities that usually make up the job description for the position:
- Close sales
- Route to the appropriate executives, qualified opportunities that will make for further development and closures
- Achieve quarterly quotas
- Identify key players and generate interest
- Build and expand the company’s customer database (of prospects within your assigned territory)
- Incorporate with channel partners in developing, building pipeline, and closing deals
- Provide prospects with online demos
- Work together with and provide support for field sales
- Forward prospects with interest in company’s products to the sales team
- Perform research on behalf of the company in order to identify available potential opportunities
- Present sales status reports on a weekly basis
- Manage creation and presentation of quotations for opportunities as they are identified
- Act as the primary internal point of contact for customers in the absence of managers
- Perform outbound emails and calls, and inbound lead generation and follow-up
- Assist in widening brand recognition through the use of the social media and the traditional means of advertising
- Ensure the smooth running of sales process
- Engage in cold-calling of potential buyers/clients and contact current ones
- Attend sales training as will be required
- Together with the senior sales staff constantly figure out effective and strategic sales methods
Inside Sales Representative Resume Preparation
To write a resume for the inside sales representative position, the job description sample presented above provides needed statements that can be used in making the work experience section and other parts of the resume with some modifications to match your true experience on the job.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for Inside Sales Representative Job
To be considered for employment by most employers for the post of inside sales representative, applicants must have the skills and other attributes shown below, which have been known to help in improving efficiency on the job.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong listening and presentation skills
- Possess the ability to effectively manage time and carry out multiple tasks together within a period
- A bachelor’s degree may be required, and/or about 3 years of experience as a sales rep or in a related profession
- An equivalent of a BA/BS degree
- Familiarity with the standard practices, concepts, and procedures within the field gives you a competitive edge
- A certain level of creativity and flexibility is required of this position
- Ability to operate the computer system and related gadget efficiently
- Organizational and Customer service skills
Also, see: #1: Inside Sales Job Description
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.