IBM Hiring Process: Job Application, Interview, and Employment
The hiring process at IBM consists of various stages, including the job application and interview stages you will need to pass through to gain employment with the Company.
This post provides complete information on the recruitment process at the International Business Machines, IBM.
Please, continue reading to learn how to make your dream of working with IBM come through:
IBM Company Overview
International Business Machines,(IBM) is an American multinational company and a major player in the global information technology industry.
The company was founded in Endicott, New York in June 16, 1911. The initial name of the company was “Computing-Tabulating-Recording Co.”, (CTR).
It was renamed International Business Machines (IBM) in 1924, and the company is incorporated in New York and headquartered in Armonk, New York.
The company specializes in computer hardware, computer software, cloud computing and artificial intelligence.
One of the impressive things about IBM is that they spanned through 170+ Countries with profit of $8.72 billion and a workforce of 350,600 employee as of 2018.
The company proves to be a force to be reckoned with; It is ranked among fortune 500 companies.
International Business Machines (IBM) Hiring Process
IBM might prove to be more complicated than some other companies you’ve heard or known. But the hiring process is not as difficult as you may think
1. IBM Job Application Process
The IBM application runs in two ways; both are online. You will be given a link to fill an Online Application Form.
Here you will be needed to fill in your personal details and educational background information.
Another is a resume or CV that also requires you to provide more information pertaining yourself.
You are also provided with a statement and space of about 150 words to describe the reason you’re your applying for the job.
This is a tactical part of the process.
2. The IBM Interview Process
The interview is first done on phone call with 1-3 supervisors interviewing you.
After that, you’ll get a call too from the Manager of the department you applied for.
Then, you’ll be flown to the company’s designated location for a Personal Interview, and if you succeed, then the Human Resources department will call to offer you the job.
How Long Does IBM Hiring Process Last?
The hiring process at the International Business Machines can last between 2 weeks and 10 months.
Reason for this is because of the huge number of applicants, and the screening process takes a little longer before the best are selected.
It is worth knowing that you will be tested in some areas, which if you’re not informed might come as a surprise to you.
IBM Job Assessment Test
There are several areas you will be assessed by IBM for the job, you are better off knowing which areas these are so you are prepared, these include:
- Communication: This is a vital skill for most companies and IBM is not an exception. They’ll assess how well you can present Information in an easy and understandable format, and your ability to adapt different styles for different audiences.
- Adaptability: They’ll want to test your flexibility and your ability to cope with changing demands, stress, and competing deadlines.
- Drive: Your willingness to update your skills and putting efforts to excel at them.
- Creative problem solving: Anticipating problems and the use of logical methods and analysis in your solutions.
- Clients focus: They’ll test how you approach clients’ needs.
- Teamwork: This cannot be overemphasized. This pertains to how you work with others to achieve shared goals.
- Taking Responsibility: If you can take responsibility and implement decisions quickly.
The physical interview holds at corporate headquarters and is the final stage that determines if you’ll be hired.
IBM Job and Career Opportunities
The available positions to be occupied are better checked on the company’s official website. But here are a few of opportunities that may be available:
- IT Help Desk
- Developer-marketing and Events
- Infrastructure Specialist
- Sales Leader
- GBS Leader
- Technical Support Specialist
- Client Technical Specialist Security
- Technical Solution Manager
- Storage Technical Sales Specialist.
Available positions are published each year by the company in their official website.
What to Expect Working at IBM
Working at International Business Machines (IBM) is one of the best long term jobs you can ever get.
You will be opportune to work with diverse groups of people from different races with varying degrees of competence per individual.
This will be an eye opener for you, especially if you’re the warm and team spirited type, which is actually one of the competencies needed for a job at IBM.
IBM is more than a century old and has dominated the technology space for decades, and has placed their signature on almost every aspect of computing and cyber security, with Artificial Intelligence included.
They’ve produced many millionaires over the years and the company is investing into new niches that will drive its future activities.
IBM is a great place to work and this post provides the information you need to make your ability to find employment there easier.