Home Depot Store Manager Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides extensive details on the Home Depot store manager job description, including the tasks, duties, and responsibilities they commonly do.
It also highlights the major requirements that individuals applying for the store manager job at the Home Depot or other similar companies will be expected to meet to be hired.
It also provides valuable information on the Home Depot store manager salary to help you learn what you may earn as a store manager at the Home Depot.
Please, read on:
What does a Home Depot Store Manager do?
A store manager is responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction by providing prompt and courteous service, resolving customer complaints, following up to ensure feedback has been properly followed through.
He/she coordinates staff schedules and duties in order to maximize efficiency and minimize costs.
The store manager job description at the Home Depot also includes coordinating the opening and closing of the store, directing staff in required tasks, ensuring items are priced in accordance with predetermined pricing policies, ensuring a tidy appearance of the store in a timely manner, and checking that shelves are fully stocked.
His/her duties also involve meeting and greeting customers in a friendly and helpful manner in order to ensure that the flow of traffic in the store is smooth and fast.
Home Depot store managers oversee sales transactions, maintain cash control procedures to include processing returns, voids and exchanges; ensuring compliance with established credit terms; completing all register paperwork properly (e.g., daily cash summary).
They also maintain a thorough, current knowledge of all product information and pricing to ensure customer satisfaction with their purchases.
The store manager also performs inventory management duties; including tracking the number of items in stock, restocking items when necessary, and returning any faulty or damaged products back to suppliers.
He/she also ensures that proper safety procedures are followed in accordance with established health and safety policies.
The Home Depot store manager is responsible for inspecting all tools and equipment for signs of damage, requiring any damaged items to be tagged with an out-of-order tag; ensuring that the store is free from any tripping hazards.
They ensure that all cleaning procedures are followed according to established standards (e.g., disinfecting hand soap at the hand wash station).
The also oversee staff to ensure that they are following all company policies and procedures, including applicable safety standards.
The work description of the Home Depot store manager also involves reviewing customer complaints and staff performance on a regular basis in order to facilitate necessary action (e.g., disciplinary actions).
The store manager is expected to perform any other duties as assigned by the Store or Regional Manager, which may include light stock work when required.
Home Depot Store Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Here are major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the Home Depot store manager job description:
- Provide prompt and courteous service, resolving customer complaints, following up to ensure feedback has been properly followed through
- Works with suppliers regularly
- Responsible for the maintenance of the inventory and assets as well as safekeeping, security, and loss prevention
- Plan and implement employee training programs by providing them with customer service skills, product knowledge and merchandising techniques as needed to ensure they achieve their job duties
- Oversee daily operations of the store, including employees and budgeting
- Provide guidance to improve customer service, maintain efficient inventory management and ensure proper staffing levels
- Supervising customer service and operations
- Participate in the hiring process, training, and development for Home Depot associates
- Establish the basic policies and procedures about how to work at a Home Depot store
- Overseeing the stockroom, receiving inventory, managing the checkout counters and operating equipment
- Familiar with inventory management systems to keep track of inventory levels
- Responsible for the success of a store and work with their staff to create an enjoyable shopping experience for customers, while also selling quality home improvement products
- Hire candidates who have customer service experience and can demonstrate leadership skills.
Home Depot Store Manager Requirements: Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills for Career Success
Shown below are common requirements, including skills, knowledge, abilities, etc. that individuals seeking to work in the store manager role at the Home Depot or other like companies are expected to meet:
- Applicants must have management experience of running an average store carrying a minimum of $70 million annually
- Experience with inventory control, including safety stock, shrinkage, and cycle counting
- Must have strong supply chain management knowledge
- Must be able to develop and execute effective promotional plans and maintain successful merchandising strategies for all product categories
- Comfortable making decisions with minimal supervision
- Previous retail experience may be considered as a substitute for the above requirements if such experience has been obtained within the last 10 years
- Previous management experience is preferable, but experience working as a sales associate at Home Depot can also be beneficial
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as inter-personal skills
- A high school diploma or equivalent is generally required for this position along with access to reliable transportation
- Managers are expected to work days, weekends, evenings, and holidays as needed. They are also responsible for keeping up to date on the latest home improvement trends.
Home Depot Store Manger Salary
The Glassdoor website shows that the store manager salary at Home Depot is $101,389 per year.
Store managers at the company can make from 28K to 214+ depending on their seniority and location within a given branch or store management team.
There’s an average starting wage rate with benefits, which starts around 30 thousand dollars annually but increases significantly based on years spent working here – so job seekers should be ready to work hard if they want to earn higher salaries at the Home Depot.
If you are interested in working as a store manager at the Home Depot or other large retail companies, you will find this post helpful in learning about what they do.
By increasing your knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of a Home Depot store manager, you will be able to decide if it’s the kind of career you want to get into.
Employers/recruiters in similar industry to the Home Depot that are looking to hire competent individuals for the store manager position for their organization will also find this post helpful.
They will be able to make a detailed description for the available store manager position for use in their hiring process by adopting the sample Home Depot store manager job description provided on this page.