Home Depot Warehouse Associate Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post is about the warehouse associate job description at the Home Depot; you will learn what they do; their key tasks, duties, and responsibilities.
You will also learn about what is required to be hired as a warehouse associate with the Home Depot or other companies so you can improve your chances of being hired.
This post also provides information on the salary of a warehouse associate at the Home Depot so you know what to expect to earn working in that role at the company.
Please, read on:
What does a Home Depot Warehouse Associate do?
As a Home Depot warehouse associate, you are part of the receiving team. Your primary duties are to work with inventory control, loading and moving product at the distribution center, as well as operating forklifts to ensure that the appropriate materials are being moved.
The warehouse associate is in charge of the flow of the products. They need to ensure that inventory levels are checked and monitored on a regular basis so they can bring up anything out-of-stock immediately, avoiding any inventory problems.
Then, the warehouse associate job at Home Depot will develop reports related to how well things are running within their department, or another warehouse.
For example, they can be in charge of producing reports that tell where the most efficient place to put a new product is.
On top of checking inventory and monitoring it, the warehouse associate needs to ensure that the products are where they need to be efficiently.
This includes making sure that there won’t be any traffic jams or problems when it comes to moving the products.
At Home Depot, the warehouse associate is in charge of the flow of the products and how everything else falls into place.
They need to be able to communicate with everyone who interacts with their department, such as other warehouse associates or managers.
They also need to stay up-to-date on what’s going on in the industry, to make sure they aren’t missing anything.
The Home Depot warehouse associate needs to have a background in organization and time management.
They use their knowledge of these things to keep track of everything going on within their department, and what’s going on at other warehouses too.
This way, they can make reports that will help improve processes within any of the warehouses.
A background in math is also necessary for the job of a warehouse associate, as he/she needs to be able to find ways to fix problems so that the best outcome can be achieved for everyone.
You may even have to do some light data entry or work on computers, but you probably won’t do these things very often.
The Home Depot warehouse associate job description also involves keeping records on all of the products that go into and out of the warehouse.
To do this, you’ll need to check inventory regularly and adjust it as needed so there’s always enough product on hand – without too much or too little.
You also need to be able to lift 70 pounds repeatedly throughout the day.
The warehouse associate must also communicate with other warehouse employees and managers, be good at time management and organization, know some math, and have a background in reporting.
There are opportunities for the warehouse associate to lead projects that will help improve processes, but they need to work under direction of others first.
Home Depot Warehouse Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The job description of the warehouse associate at the Home Depot consists of the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Receiving and unloading inventory
- Driving forklifts to transfer inventory where needed
- Making sure that the materials moving meet Home Depot’s quality standards
- Using measuring equipment (e.g., tape measures and scales) to accurately determine dimensions and weights of materials and products
- Accurately record data on computer forms
- Operate material handling equipment (e.g., hand trucks, pallet jack, forklifts, and reach-stackers)
- Stack products on pallets or in totes
- Transport materials to designated areas
- Inspect product for damage, including broken packages and holes in containers
- Keep equipment and work area clean regularly
- Develops material requirements for the warehouse by developing, negotiating, tracking, and evaluating inventory needs
- Researches new equipment or methods to increase efficiency
- Provides input to determine warehouse layout, including production flow charts
- Oversees the efficient movement of the product in order to improve workflow
- Develops reports related to operations by collecting information from other warehouses, including productivity levels and space utilization.
Home Depot Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the warehouse associate job at Home Depot or other similar companies, below are major requirements you may be expected to fulfil to be hired:
- Possess a High School diploma or GED and must be able to work in a temperature controlled environment with loud noises, and have good eyesight, including having the ability to focus on small items.
- You must also prove you’re physically up for the job: most warehouse associates are required to lift 70 pounds repeatedly throughout their shift, stand on their feet for hours, and be able to work inside a climate-controlled warehouse during the day.
- Employers/recruiters will also look at your personal traits. They want friendly, outgoing people with strong customer service skills who can do repetitive lifting throughout the day.
- Company policy states that you must be 21 years old or have a GED from high school or one year of full-time experience in a warehouse to be considered for this position.
- High School diploma or GED and one year of full-time experience in a warehouse.
- You must have excellent attention to detail and ability to, work from blueprints, use hand truck, and read a tape measure. You must also complete the company’s warehouse associate safety training program.
Home Depot Warehouse Associate Salary
Glassdoor presents that the hourly pay for the warehouse associate position at the Home Depot is $17.00 and can range between $12 and $22 depending on your work location.
You may be paid more or less, but that’s the average across all Home Depot locations.
This post has provided typical tasks, duties, and responsibilities that usually constitute the warehouse associate job description at Home Depot.
This information is useful to individuals interested in working at the Home Depot in the role of a warehouse associate; they will be able to decide if the duties and responsibilities of the job is what they want to do.
This post is also helpful to recruiters/employers in similar industry as the Home Depot who are in the process of hiring for the warehouse associate role.
They can apply the sample Home Depot warehouse associate job description provided above in making one for the position in their companies, to attract the best candidates for the position.