In this article, you will learn what makes up the job description of the freight team associate at the Home Depot, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they commonly perform.
You will also learn about the major requirements you may need to meet to be hired for the freight team associate position at the Home Depot or other similar retail company.
This post also shows you the estimated salary of a Home Depot freight team associate to give you an idea of what you may earn working in that position with the Home Depot.
Please, read on:
What does a Home Depot Freight Team Associate do?
A freight team associate is responsible for loading, unloading, and organizing trucks of incoming products at the store.
To do this effectively, the freight team associate will need to pick up each box that is brought in by forklift or hand truck and place it in its appropriate spot on the loading dock.
Once the boxes are unloaded they should be organized in a way that is easy for the rest of the team to unpack.
As the freight team associate will be working in a team, it is important to communicate with their co-workers so everyone knows what they are doing.
They are also expected to follow all safety precautions while loading trucks and keep an eye on truck arrivals to ensure they do not collide into other vehicles or members of the team.
The Home Depot freight team associate job description also entails driving a store delivery truck to the back where all products are kept.
It also involves travelling from the receiving area and driving through a series of halls before they get to their destination.
The Home Depot freight team associate will need to lift up to 75 pounds whenever they are unloading or loading trucks with products.
They may also be asked to load smaller goods into bins while keeping organized inside store deliveries.
Since this is a fast paced position, the freight team associate should be willing to lift a variety of product from the moment they step on the loading dock.
The freight team associate is responsible for loading and unloading trucks with product using either a hand truck or small forklift.
If he/she is more comfortable working with one of these machines than the other, he/she will let his/her supervisor know so they can match him/her up appropriately.
Once his/her shift is over and trucks are loaded or unloaded, a freight team associate is responsible for organizing the back end of the store by sweeping, unlocking doors, and removing trash from shelves.
Working as a team member will require the freight team associate to have good communication with his/her fellow team members in order to keep the loading dock organized.
Also, it is important for freight team associates to stay focused throughout the duration of their shift because they are required to work around traffic and tight spaces when loading products onto trucks for shipment.
If there are customers or store employees, the freight team associate should communicate with them effectively while still maintaining focus on your work.
The Home Depot freight team associate is also responsible for maintaining safe working conditions at all times by staying focused and following company safety guidelines.
He/she should keep an eye on their surroundings when operating a forklift or hand truck so they know where the closest exit is in case of emergency.
Also, they should make sure to lock doors and turn off conveyor belts when they are not in use.
The freight team associate needs to be familiar with the layout of their particular Home Depot store because it is constantly changing and evolving.
The better the knowledge they have of your store’s inventory system, the easier it will be for them to schedule their work around traffic and deliveries.
A freight team associate at The Home Depot works in a fast-paced environment where they will be loading, unloading, and organizing shipments of products around the store.
This job usually requires someone who is flexible because he/she will be working with machines and products that can be unpredictable at times.
For example, there are times where doors or conveyor belts need to be locked during certain parts of the day, which means the freight team associate may have to change up their schedule.
The work description of the freight team associate at the Home Depot also involves cleaning up any clutter on the loading dock that result from unloading product.
This will help prevent accidents and collisions throughout his/her shift.
Home Depot Freight Team Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Here are major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that usually constitute the freight team associate job description at the Home Depot:
- Loads store delivery trucks with products
- Unloads incoming shipments from trucks
- Organizes loading docks to reduce clutter and prevent collisions
- Makes sure truck is clean of debris, trash, and grease build-up after every delivery
- Performs light maintenance, which can consist of mopping, vacuuming, dusting, etc.
- Assists in receiving shipments and unloading them from the truck
- Organizes loading docks to avoid collisions
- Picks up orders that have been placed with Home Depot by customers. This is done both through phone, email, fax, online order pick-up, and also in-store pick-up order terminals
- Organizes stock room so it is neat, clean, and efficient
- Loads trucks with products to be shipped back to various locations around the country
- Loads and unloads trucks with large equipment such as lawn mowers, gardening equipment, etc.
- Performs minor repairs on store merchandise, such as faulty lights, broken mirrors, trimming trees or shrubs to make them fit into landscaping features
- Assists customers in loading their own purchases onto their vehicles if necessary
- Works with the Home Depot team to provide fast, accurate service
- Keeps warehouses clean and organized
- Organizes loading docks to reduce clutter
- Organizes inventory system by pulling outdated or slow moving items
- Keeps the warehouse neat and organized
- Cleans bathrooms, bathrooms, restrooms, and break rooms
- Replenishes shelves in stock rooms
- Keeps traffic flowing smoothly throughout store
- Moves merchandise to other areas of the store as demand dictates
- Loads lightweight products onto trucks for shipment. If there are customers or store employees, you should communicate with them effectively while still maintaining focus on your work.
Home Depot Freight Team Associate Requirements: Skill, Knowledge, and Ability for Career Success
Here are major requirements you may be expected to meet at Home Depot or other like companies to be hired for the freight team associate role:
- High school diploma or equivalent experience preferred, no degree necessary
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds and push and pull carts and trucks throughout the day
- Have good hand-eye coordination when moving product
- Any experience you may have with physical labor will be looked on favorably, as well as any relevant job-specific skills such as forklift driving
- Able to follow directions and adhere to safety procedures
- Ability to work as part of a team at all times with a good attitude, and have the ability to keep up with fast paced work
- Should also have attention-to-detail skills, as well as good communication skills.
Home Depot Freight Team Associate Salary
The Home Depot freight team associate’s pay can vary greatly based on several factors, which include the location they work at and how long they have worked for Home Depot.
The average salary of a freight team member at the Home Depot is $13 an hour, but can be from $7 to $21 an hour, according to information from the Glassdoor website.
If you want a job where you can be out in the fresh air, have hands-on work experience while being part of a team and performing services for customers, then you can consider applying to Home Depot as a freight team associate.
The freight team associate position is perfect for those with physical strength who like working outdoors.
This post provided detailed discussion of the tasks, duties, and responsibilities that make up the Home Depot freight team associate job description so you can decide if you want to pursue this career.