This post provides complete information on the job description of a grocery store clerk, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they commonly perform.
What Does a Grocery Store Clerk Do?
The grocery store clerk is responsible for providing support to all departments, such as providing products deliveries, and ensuring accuracy in order and invoicing.
The job description of a grocery store clerk entails ensuring that transaction prices.
He/she also cross performs functions with all departments to ensure payments are made correctly and invoices are well handled.
The importance of making sure that cash payments made on merchandise are well monitored is very important to the development of the grocery since it is profit oriented.
Grocery stores employ clerks to offer assistance with unloading, stocking, receiving, rotating, and filing merchandise.
This responsibility is to ensure that the merchandise are well stocked, stored, and filed so that they will be well accounted for.
The need to also ensure that merchandise are displayed, kept tidy in shelves, and fully stocked, in a way that it will attract customers and interested buyers, cannot be over emphasized.
The tidiness, neatness, and good arrangement of the grocery store go a long way to increasing customers’ satisfaction.
The ease of finding merchandise on the shelves because of the neat arrangements also helps to improve the store outlook, and represents the store well to customers.
The clerk has the good understanding of the store’s ad items. His/her role also involves showing customers the direction to the products of their choice.
He/she works closely with grocery associates in achieving sales goals and ensures that the regulatory guidelines are adhered strictly to.
The store clerk also helps customers locate products on the shelves.
Part of the work description of the grocery store clerk includes the training of other staff, maintenance of the merchandise storage area, and keeping of the store in order.
The clerk also maintains a good working relationship with other store management staff.
It is expected that clerks working at grocery stores possess good communication and human relation skills.
They should also be able to welcome customers with approachable and cheerful demeanor.
Grocery Store Clerk Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The duties, tasks, and responsibilities of grocery store clerks vary, and depend on the particular needs of the store.
The following job description example shows the major functions and roles individuals who work in the position usually perform:
- Stocks the shelves with the merchandise
- Stocks the diary case as well as other parts of the department
- Offers a proficient, on time and approachable customer service
- Accepts merchandise deliveries
- Makes sure orders and invoices are well and accurately handled
- Ensures stock rotation to achieve proficient fresh merchandise
- Offers assistance with the receipt and stocking of merchandise
- Follows established regulatory guidelines in operating cash register
- Offers assistance with staff training, as well as recruitment
- Ensures products are stocked in line with departmental procedure
- Offers assistance with the display by keeping the shelves stocked and tidy
- Keeps track of the pull dates on all merchandise
- Makes accurate pricing of all merchandise through stamping, ratifying, and attaching shelf signs/tags
- Gets good knowledge of ad items and offers customers assistance by offering direction to product location in the store
- Does the general housekeeping
- Offers assistance with cashiering, cart runs, and bagging
- Ensures the overall sanitation of the grocery store and all departments
- Works hand in hand with the produce department manger, store director, and fresh cut associates to achieve standard maintenance, and supersedes customers expectation
- Offers assistance to customers, including calling on carriers to help carry heavy merchandise to their vehicles
- Keeps record of credit sales and outstanding payments, and forward the information to relevant authorities
- Offers advice and insight to customers on the description of merchandise
- Reports suspicious activities in the store to appropriate authorities
Grocery Store Clerk Resume Preparation
Preparing a resume for the grocery store clerk job requires certain information to complete the different sections of the resume.
For the work experience section, the duties and responsibilities of the position provided in the job description sample above can be applied in creating this section.
Grocery Store Clerk Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are major requirements, including skills and abilities employers usually demand from applicants for the role of clerks in grocery stores:
- A diploma in High School or its equivalent
- Strong ability to follow direction
- Must possess integrity, reliability, and dependability
- Proficiency in providing and receiving constructive feedback
- Good oral and verbal communication skills
- Good human relation skills, and the ability to get along well with others
- Proficiency in multi-tasking, prioritizing and staying organized
- Possess the right approach to work, as well as good customer service techniques
- Ability to work effectively with customers and associates
- Ability to work under pressure and attend to customers speedily
- Good knowledge of product prices and description
- Proficiency in the use and application of modern information and communication technology
- Ability to dress in a neatly and modest fashion
- Good knowledge of safety procedures and techniques