General Cleaner Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a general cleaner to increase your knowledge of their role.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the general cleaner work description in most organizations.
This article also shows the major requirements applicants for the general cleaner position are commonly expected to fulfill by recruiters to be able to access the position.
Please, continue reading to learn more about the general cleaner career:
What Does a General Cleaner Do?
A general cleaner is responsible for cleaning buildings, removing debris, and keeping all the corners and areas of an organization clean and tidy.
His/her job description entails maintaining a facility by sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping floors; taking out the trash, cleaning doors, furniture and windows; and disinfecting and wiping down the facility.
In other words, a general cleaner is an individual with the responsibility of providing and maintaining quality service to the standards and frequency within the cleaning specifications.
A general cleaner performs the function of cleaning, stocking, and supplying cleaning materials to designated facility areas.
His/her duties may include dusting, sweeping, and mopping; vacuuming, cleaning ceiling vents, and cleaning the restroom.
It may also involve monitoring and keeping track of routine inspection and maintenance activities, and carrying out heavy cleaning tasks and other special projects.
Also, a general cleaner is responsible for carrying out various cleaning and maintenance tasks, which may include keeping all public spaces neat and tidy, overseeing the upkeep and maintenance of all cleaning equipment and supplies, and products.
It may also include scrubbing sinks, basins, and toilets in private and public toilets or bathrooms; polishing room accessories and furniture as required and immediately reporting repairs and replacements that are needed; and ensuring safe storage and adequate care of products.
The general cleaner work description may also entail participating in all relevant training as required, reporting all faults directly to the supervisor, and ensuring that safety precautions are taken in order to ensure the safe use of all equipment.
It may also involve emptying waste bins into waste bags and carrying the waste bags to collection points, and washing and rearranging bins as at when required.
The general cleaner is expected to promote and comply with his/her organization’s procedures and policies, and ensure the health and safety of other people in the work environment are protected while delivering his/her services.
Becoming a General Cleaner
Individuals who desire to become a general cleaner is required to possess and demonstrate certain skills, attributes or abilities, such as physical fitness, which involves the ability to bend, walk, lift, push, and efficiently handle necessary equipment.
They are expected to be familiar with material safety data sheets, and have the ability to handle heavy equipment and machinery.
They should also have sound knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies.
In terms of academic qualifications, there is no formal training or educational background that is required to become a general cleaner.
However, it is important that one should possess several years of work experience as a cleaner in any institution or organization to gain a good job in the industry.
General Cleaner Job Description Example/Sample/Template
General cleaners perform various functions in keeping the environment of an organization clean and tidy.
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the general cleaner job description in most organizations are given below:
- Maintaining a high level of precaution while cleaning costly articles
- Coordinating and working in relation with other cleaning teammates
- Preparing an efficient cleaning routine
- Using general cleaning equipment and chemicals properly
- Properly cleaning all sanitary appliances, fittings, and areas on a daily basis
- Replenishing towels, soaps, and toilet rolls as at when required
- To wash walls as at when required
- Sweeping, wet mopping, and floor polishing designated areas
- Ensuring that all health and safety regulations are adhered to
- Immediately notifying the management of occurring deficiencies or requirements for repairs
- Executing heavy cleaning tasks and special projects
- Keeping all public spaces or environment neat and tidy
- Cleaning glass surfaces, mirrors, and windows
- Reporting repairs and replacements that are required when encountered while cleaning.
General Cleaner Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume as someone who has worked previously as a general cleaner or are presently working in that role, you can quickly complete the professional experience part of it by adopting the general cleaner duties and responsibilities provided in the job description example above.
With a good professional or work experience section, you will be able to show in your resume the duties and responsibilities that you have successfully carried out, or are currently performing as a general cleaner.
This will make your resume more impactful in convincing the recruiter that you have the required general cleaner work experience for the position you are seeking.
General Cleaner Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are applying for the general cleaner position with an organization, you will be mostly expected to fulfill a set of requirements to show that you can effectively perform the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the role.
Shown below are major general cleaner requirements most recruiters will want prospective candidates to meet to be qualified for the job:
- Several years of proven work experience as a cleaner in any institution or organization
- The physical ability to bend, reach, stretch, walk, and bend during the daily routine, with the ability to stand for a long period of time; ability to effectively push vacuum cleaner for extended periods of time
- Well-developed communication skills, as a general cleaner is required to possess the ability to accept, understand, and follow instructions
- Adequate knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies
- Ability to work at both team and independent levels
- Ability to adapt to change in schedules, with good time management skills.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for a general cleaner position in your organization, the sample job description above will help you in making a description of the role in your organization.
By publishing a detailed description of the available general cleaner position, prospective candidates will be able to learn about the duties associated with the position and know if they will be able to perform them or not.
This will enable you to attract only capable candidates who will be effective in performing the duties and responsibilities of the general cleaner role that will be assigned to them if hired.
The information on this page is also useful to individuals interested in the general cleaner career, to learn about the functions they commonly carry out.