Freight Dispatcher Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post presents complete information on the job description of a freight dispatcher, including the tasks, duties, and responsibilities they usually perform, to help you learn the work they do.
It also highlights the major requirements that you will be expected to meet to be hired for the position of a freight dispatcher.
Please, continue reading:
What Does a Freight Dispatcher Do?
A freight dispatcher is responsible for directing freight and passengers to the appropriate transportation vehicle.
They are relied upon to maintain positive communication with drivers, their company, and other dispatch offices, and various back office employees such as billing agents and customer service representatives
As a dispatcher, you have to report any incident with vehicles or drivers in a timely manner.
The freight dispatcher job description involves ensuring that the vehicle leaves on time and arrives at destination on time.
It also entails maintaining a record of all drivers’ activities such as duty hours, fuel status, pertinent dispatch information, and vehicle inspections and paperwork.
The dispatcher makes sure that all drivers they are working with are properly licensed with the state
They also monitor drivers on the road by using portable devices for checking drivers’ documentation while they are on job.
Parts of a freight dispatcher’s duties consist of scanning vehicles using their VIN number to check their safety features and conditions, to make sure they have necessary safety features such as fire extinguishers, break control device, seatbelt, and airbag.
Their job also involves handing customer service calls in a professional manner, including taking messages and relaying information regarding customer concerns.
They complete paperwork and make sure all vehicles have been inspected by drivers; they prepare daily reports and trip sheets and ensure all drivers are following company policy/procedure.
A freight dispatcher is responsible for maintaining the company’s budget by keeping track of fuel consumption, vehicle usage, and mileage.
They can be assigned to any area, such as trucking, bus service, van lines, car leasing, and car rental.
They are also responsible for relaying information between customers, such as when a customer needs to be picked up from the airport or shipped to their destination.
Freight dispatchers schedule and report activities of drivers’ equipment, including vacations and sick time, maintenance, and repairs.
They also make sure that all drivers have received and understood their route for the day, and that all drivers are up to date with their log books and insurance.
They check with drivers and make sure they are informed of any critical issues that are occurring while they are on duty.
A freight dispatcher is responsible for communicating information back to drivers, such as road closures or other drivers have been involved with accidents.
They handle computer and paperwork related to their job, such as managing traffic and vehicle movement, and also provide information regarding a vehicle’s condition and the optimal driving conditions.
The safe transport of passengers and cargo is also their responsibilities..
Freight Dispatcher Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The freight dispatcher job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Provide freight dispatch services to customers by coordinating shipments of goods from origin to destination
- Handle customer inquiries, complaints, and requests for special handling
- Assist with load planning and scheduling
- Monitor the status of incoming shipments
- Maintain accurate records of all shipments and their progress through the system
- Report any problems that may occur during shipment processing
- Ensure that freight bills are prepared and paid on time
- Work with other team members to ensure that all required documentation is completed
- Monitor and maintain inventory levels
- Keep track of all freight charges incurred
- Review invoices and make sure they are correct before submitting them to the accounting department
- Prepare reports and provide information to management regarding shipment activity
- Scan and enter cargo manifests into the computerized tracking system.
Freight Dispatcher Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume or CV and have worked before or are currently working as a freight dispatcher, you can present that experience in the Professional Experience section of your resume.
This can greatly boost the influence of your resume/CV on the recruiter/employer to give you an interview appointment, especially if the new position that you are seeking requires someone with some freight dispatcher work experience.
You can apply the sample freight dispatcher job description provided above in creating an effective Professional Experience section for your resume/CV, to show that you have been successful performing the duties and responsibilities of the freight dispatcher role.
Freight Dispatcher Job Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work in the role of a freight dispatcher, here are major requirements you may be asked to meet to be hired:
- Have basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) and organizational skills; possess good communication skills
- Have knowledge of transportation industry terminology
- Knowledge and ability to utilize computers and office equipment effectively
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, holidays, and overtime hours
- Ability to lift heavy items of 50 pounds or more
- Must have reliable transportation to get to and from worksite
- Must be able to stand while working for long periods of time
- Ability to sit for a long time at a stretch
- Must be able to perform physical activities such as bending, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment such as copiers, printers, fax machines, scanners, keyboards, etc.
- Ability to converse both vocally and in writing
- Must be able and willing to travel at least 10% of the time.
Freight Dispatcher Salary
According to Salary.com, freight dispatcher base salaries range from $44,026 to $60,119 per year, with a median base income of $51,264.
The Freight dispatcher job description discussed above provides an overview of the general duties performed by this position.
It also included some of the core competencies needed to succeed in this role.
This article has provided you with a detailed look at the freight dispatcher job duties, responsibilities, and requirements.
Hopefully, it has given you a better understanding of what you can expect when applying for the freight dispatcher job.