This post provides detailed information on the event project manager job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they typically perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the event project manager role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does an Event Project Manager Do?
An event project manager handles the planning and execution of different events with a team, from the point of conception of the event to its successful completion.
The event project manager job description entails overseeing the successful execution of ordered event projects from the point of identifying opportunities to the point of completion of orders and generating invoices.
It also involves providing assistance to the account executive in acquiring new client businesses and enhancing existing relationship with VIP clients by ensuring the successful completion of ordered event projects to clients’ satisfaction.
The manager is responsible for developing in field strategy for ensuring hitch-free event project execution and maintenance of client relationship on long term basis.
An event project manager coordinates his/her team and vendors in order to ensure that an event flows smoothly without a hitch until the end so as to meet organizational goals and expectations.
His/her work description also entails making sure that there is equilibrium of creativity with logistics – decoration, catering, entertainment, transportation, location, promotional material, equipment, etc.
To succeed in this role, event planning and management are important skills to have to be able to deliver successful events.
Also required to excel in this role is the ability to understand project milestones; including deadlines.
Event Project Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Event project managers perform various functions in ensuring an event is successfully taken from the planning stage to completion.
The job description example below shows major duties, objectives, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly define the role of the event project manager in most organizations:
- Conceptualize and plan an event working in tandem with a dedicated team
- Select a venue for a client and hire vendors
- Negotiate costs with clients and vendors
- Ensure vendors deliver on their services as agreed
- Scrutinize bills before seeking approval payments
- Help with logistic – transportation, catering, entertainment, decoration, car park, etc.
- Ensure strict adherence to budget as agreed with the client
- Work closely with the client so as to iron out grey areas
- Set and deliver service based on the timeline agreed with the client
- Develop and maintain client relationship
- Provide direction, motivation, leadership, and support for his/her team
- Ensure excellent customer service
- Handle operational and administrative functions to ensure projects are delivered efficiently
- Give suggestions on how to enhance an event
- Ensure that an event is successfully held without hitches
- Coordinate all operations on the day of the event
- Supervise staff and vendors
- Analyze the success of an event and prepare after-event reports
- Ensure prompt steps are taken to resolve any issue that may jeopardize the success of an event
- Determine the number of support staff to work with
- Take charge of promotional activities for an event
- Ensure guests are well treated during and after an event
- Ensure meals are well prepared and served; including seeing to it that drinks are served in the right condition and temperature
- Hire security guards to help ensure order on the day of an event
- Ensure there is a thorough clean up after an event
- Ensure compliance with health and safety rules
- Comply with international best practices in project management.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For Event Project Manager Role
If you are seeking to work as an event project manager in company, you will be expected to meet certain requirements, which include having some particular skills, abilities, experience, educational qualifications, etc.
This is important to prove that you will be effective in performing the purpose, obligations, and responsibilities of the position that will be assigned to you in the work description.
Shown below are typical requirements for the role of an event project manager that you may be expected to fulfill to be eligible for an interview and to be hired if you are interested in the job:
- Bachelors degree in event management or any other related discipline
- Possess proven experience as an event project manager
- Be computer savvy; showing proficiency in the use of MS Word and PowerPoint
- Effective communication skill in both written and spoken forms
- Effective negotiation skills will be of top priority
- Possess excellent customer service skills
- Ability to use the Internet for e-mail communication will be an added advantage
- Excellent organizational skills
- Possess remarkable problem-solving skills
- Must be an excellent team player with great interpersonal relationship skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Possess outstanding event planning skills
- Top-notch logistic skills will be an added advantage
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Ability to show calmness under intense pressure
- Excellent marketing and promotional experience
- Robust administrative and management skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to take initiatives without being prompted
- Possess excellent budgeting and analytical skills.
If you are an employer or HR manager needing to recruit for the event project manager position in your organization, you can apply the sample job description for the role provided in this post as well as the general information about the duties and responsibilities of an event project manager in making a good description of the position in your organization.
By effectively describing the role of the event project manager in your organization, you will be able to attract the right applicants who understand perfectly what the role entails and who have what is required to succeed in it.
This post is also helpful to individuals looking to start a career in the event management field to improve their knowledge of what event project managers do.