Event Organizer Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an Event Organizer Do?
An event organizer is responsible for planning, managing, and organizing sensational events in the most efficient and cost effective way.
His/her job description entails searching target audiences in the market and finding occasions at which events are organized.
He/she is primarily employed by event management companies and work with various clients in the public, private, and non-profit sector.
They communicate with clients to know their specific needs and deliver the best events, including career, educational, technology, and trade fairs; film, music, art, and cultural festivals; and exhibitions.
Other events that fall into their work description include product launch; gigs; fashion or music shows; promotions; business or educational seminars; and charity fundraising events.
Being a competitive industry, consistent delivery of results and excellence in the event organizer’s performance is what will determine being selected for promotion into a senior role.
The career prospect for this occupation includes working as a freelancer and setting up an event management company apart from working for a company.
Event Organizer Job Description Example/Sample Template
Event organizers perform various functions following the needs of the client and the tasks assigned to them by management, however, they generally perform some or all of the duties and responsibilities shown in the job description example below:
- Communicate with the client to understand their wants, needs, and special requests for the event
- Plan and organize the event from concept to finish in accordance with the preference of the client
- Create a budget that suits the client’s need and maintain it
- Select the most suitable location or venue; book, prepare, and arrange it for the event
- Design a layout and agenda of the event; create event guides, tickets, pamphlets, and any other marketing activities to promote the event traditionally or digitally with the assistance of PR professionals or marketing executives
- Hire key volunteers and manage staff, as well as special guest appearance, MCs, anchor or any other suitable entertainer for the event
- Attend event to oversee activities and ensure details are handled as planned
- Address any dispute that may arise, and remain on site after the event is over to ensure proper clean up
- Work with and give guidance to volunteers and staff involved in event planning and execution
- Negotiate and contract with vendors such as photographers, florists, caterers, technical and transportation services on a variety of goods and services like security, lighting, sound equipment, displays, stages, parking, food and drink and any other essential item to ensure the success of the event
- Monitor delivery of goods and services to ensure contract terms are satisfied; adhere to legal, insurance, and health and safety regulations
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned or requested by clients.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Event Organizer Role
Generally, a high school degree is the minimum requirement for this role. However, a college degree in hotel management, hospitality, marketing, advertising, or in any other relevant field or its equivalent will give an added advantage over other candidates in securing competitive deals.
Postgraduate degree programs are usually not needed; rather, trainings received through work shadowing, internship, mentorship, in-house workshops and external training seminars are all one needs to progress as a successful event organizer.
When hiring for the role of event organizer, most employers commonly make the following as requirements and qualifications to be met by applicants to access the position:
- Experience in event organization or management or related work experience is an added advantage
- Strong communication skills – written and verbal is a must
- Positive and outgoing personality
- Strong negotiation, leadership, and planning skills
- Ability to multi-task, remain calm and work under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Attention to details and good problem solving skills
- Experience or talent for organizing and working complex events in an efficient and methodical manner
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal with diverse types of people
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and also take initiatives when the need arises
The role of the event organizer is important in an event management company to effectively coordinate, organize, and achieve the organization’s event goals.
The content of this post will particularly be useful to hiring managers or teams trying to put together a decent job description for a new event organizer hire.
They can use the sample job description provided above in creating a detailed description for the role and increase their chances of attracting the best candidates to their vacant job offer.
Job seekers may also find this article useful in preparing a detailed and job-winning experience and duties section of their CV or resume.
Also, individuals interested in starting an event management career will find this post useful in learning about the duties and responsibilities of event organizers, making them better prepared for the role.
Did this post help in improving your knowledge of what event organizers do? Please, leave what you think about this article in the comment box below. You can also share your job description if you work as an event organizer.