This post presents detailed information on the electronic technician job description, including the duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to meet to qualify for hiring for the electronic technician role.
What Does an Electronic Technician Do?
The electronic technician job description involves maintenance and repair of electronic equipment in the office, warehouse, and factory.
It also entails dealing with electronic data communications equipment such as using computer networks and repairing computers and software.
Electronic technicians are responsible for maintaining databases and software backups, ordering office equipment and supplies, and modifying programs to meet safety rules.
They may diagnose problems by analyzing signals from parts of the electronic device in order to re-configure.
Work may include new installations, modifications or repairs on lines or equipment connected to other devices on a network that contain devices including computers, telephones, fax machines or radios among others.
An electronic technician ensures that any power circuits or lines are not overloaded in order to prevent damage.
They work with batteries and may need to replace, recharge, or collect data from them in order to identify problems.
It is their duty to read test meters, dials, and gauges on equipment.
Another duty of the electronic technician is carrying out troubleshooting process when dealing with electronic equipment.
Their Work may include manufacturing circuit boards or testing products as well as repairs.
Dealing with hazardous material and safety equipment including ventilation, fire extinguishers and emergency alarms which need to be handled safely is a key part of their job.
More on Electronic Technician Job Description
The electronic technician work description also includes regular inspections of equipment for any faults or damage to allow the problem to be identified before it develops into something more serious, requiring a lot more time and effort.
It also involves using computer software and hardware design tools in carrying out their duties.
The electronic technician works with any types of document, including technical drawings, schematics, circuit diagrams, and parts lists to ensure the equipment is working correctly.
Duties of this position may include transportation of equipment for installation or maintenance, including use of fork-lifts or lifts.
They assess electrical power requirements to ensure that devices are not overloaded and in order to prevent damage from occurring resulting from long term wear and tear on the device.
It is the duty of the electronic technician to deal with any issues with regard to preventing electromagnetic interference.
Electronic technicians are responsible for the documentation of work undertaken and reporting any problems or defects to supervisors or management in order for the issue to be addressed as soon as possible.
Part of the tasks of this position involves regular traveling to and from work assignments or work locations, which is done by car or other vehicles, depending on the situation where the equipment needs repairing or maintenance.
They carry out regular trainings on how to use new tools and equipment.
Some of these tools are used in repairing electronic equipment while some are used in a wide range of applications such as computers, communications, medical devices, and much more.
Electronic Technician Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The electronic technician job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Maintains certification records
- Plans, programs, organizes, and implements the information systems facilities
- Plans and installs telecommunications
- Configures and troubleshoots computer hardware
- Maintains computer software programs
- Monitors, sets up, or analyzes computer performance for customer service or quality assurance
- Makes recommendations for improvements to prevent problems and recommends appropriate corrective action on pending problems
- Designs and develops new systems (processes) for organization or customer requirements
- Updates and maintains current knowledge of system hardware and software
- Works with other systems personnel to resolve problems and execute solutions
- Performs routine maintenance, monitors, and repairs of computer equipment
- Maintains logs detailing work performed in a given period using diagnostic tools, systems consoles, printers, and monitors
- Keeps current on new systems technology to keep skills in demand
- Acts as a liaison between customer and technical support groups to deliver requested services in a timely manner.
Electronic Technician Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume or CV as someone who is currently working as an electronic technician or has worked in that role before, you can create an effective Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the electronic technician job description sample presented above.
You can highlight the above electronic technician duties and responsibilities (from the sample job description) in the Professional Experience section of the resume to show that you have been successful performing the role of an electronic technician.
This can greatly influence the recruiter/employer to call you for an interview and hire you, especially if the new job that you are applying for requires somebody with some electronic technician work experience.
Electronic Technician Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are major requirements that you might be asked to meet by employers/recruiters to be offered the electronic technician role:
- Possess high school diploma and be at least 18 years old
- 2 or more years’ experience in operating computer systems, preferably in installing, maintaining and troubleshooting computer applications, such as word processing programs, electronic mail, spreadsheets, databases, and network based systems
- Able to manipulate computers by using various basic commands for word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Ability to work in a team without fear
- Currently holds FAA Airframe/Powerplant license with endorsement of appropriate aircraft maintenance related knowledge
- Possess thorough understanding of the functions of common computer peripheral devices such as printers, scanners, modems and other specialized input/output devices
- Knowledge of diagnostic procedures for computer hardware and software applications and an understanding of basic principles of electronics
- Ability to plan and organize work
- Excellent oral, written, verbal communications skills with the level of understanding necessary to contribute meaningfully to discussion among technical support personnel
- Possess a high level of integrity and responsibility in both daily job performance and in interactions with customers and coworkers
- Willingness to be flexible in changing situations requiring quick response times that may require immediate changes in the way things are done.
Electronic Technician Salary
The average salary for an electronic technician is $55,149 (salary.com) and $71,439
(indeed.com) per year.
Indeed posted that the best paying cities are San Diego, CA, $76,692; Austin, TX, $74,395; Houston, TX, $73,041; Phoenix, AZ, $72,851; and Las Vegas, NV, $70,467 per year.
Zippia posted that there are currently over 71,579 electronic technicians working in the United States.
Women make up 8.6% of all electronic technicians, while men make up 91.4%.
An employed electronic technician is 50 years old on average.
White (73.9%) is the most common ethnicity among electronic technicians, followed by Hispanic or Latino (9.1%), Asian (8.6%), and Black or African American (5.9%).
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the electronic technician career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about what electronic technicians do.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers needing to write a job description for the electronic technician position. They can apply the electronic technician job description example on this page in making one for their company.