Educational Consultant Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an Educational Consultant Do?
An educational consultant basically works as academic advisor. In most cases they are independent advisors; that is to say that they usually work on freelance basis.
Their job description entails helping educational institutions and schools, and in some cases parents and students, in solving problems that are education-related.
An educational consultant also advises schools on their methods of teaching and curriculum, and also recommends texts.
He/she should have in-depth knowledge of different career opportunities and dealing with students, such as answering their questions concerning careers and opportunities that lie within them.
His/her duties may also include providing guidelines for teachers/instructors and also organizing educational content.
The major role an educational consultant plays is that of finding out the need of the student(s); after which he/she will embark on a research to discover areas that need to be improved upon.
In the process of this research, the consultant in most cases tends to discover new programs that will serve as an upgrade on the school’s curriculum.
Consultants in the educational sector are normally required to make sure that the curriculum in use by a school meets already outlined standards (usually national).
They then apply the required changes and make sure that they are effective.
Their work description may also help the school in purchasing better texts and other educational materials, which will help improve the performance of students.
They assist students in their educational transition process, like going from high school to college.
They also help students in their choice of school and help them in understanding the admission process of the school.
In dealing with school instructors/teachers, consultants may also arrange training programs, which they may organize by themselves to help improve the teaching skills of teachers.
They also interact regularly with the school staff in order to have a clear understanding of what is really needed by the students and the school at large.
These interactions can be in the form of organized meetings with the different units that make up the entire school system to basically ensure that organization-wide activities are streamlined.
Educational consultant description also involves helping in the recruitment process of students for schools.
In this recruitment process, they try as much as possible to get students that meet the institution’s requirements on all fronts.
They also make sure that information gotten from prospective students are captured and recorded properly.
Educational consultants also help schools in achieving greater standards and improving their rankings.
They review and analyze school performance data, such as test scores and rates by which students are graduated from the school.
Educational Consultant Job Description Example/Template
Educational consultants perform various functions as they seek to provide effective solutions to problems in the school system.
The job description example below shows the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically constitute the educational consultant role:
- Develop instructional materials to be used by teachers/instructors
- Continuous update school curriculum to ensure that it is current and of required standard at all times
- Work hand-in-hand with the teaching staff to ensure improvement in teaching standards by recommending certain changes when it is necessary
- Advise administrative staff concerning development of curriculum and the use of new materials that have been put in place
- Discuss various issues that have to do with the educational system with members of the school management board so as to understand them and bring up solutions in cases where the issues are seen as problems
- Carry out maintenance and management of reports and records, and also ensure proper documentation of them all
- Provide professional support/advice to students in order to help them make the right choices
- Develop a conducive and positive learning environment for both prospective and already enrolled students
- Carry out data analysis as at when due
- Conduct training for employees to ensure their development
- Provide on-the-job observation of teachers and offer suggestions on ways to improve teaching style and encourage classroom participation
- Help in ensuring smooth transition of students from one level of education to another with proper guidance.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Educational Consultants Role
If you are interested in applying for the role of an educational consultant, here are major requirements you may need to have to be considered for an interview by most employers:
- The most important skill an educational consultant must possess is that of effective communication. This is very necessary so as to be able to understand what is actually needed by a school or students, and also be able to tackle them effectively
- The consultant should be willing and able to help at all times
- He/she should be dependable and possess a cooperative attitude
- He/she should have in-depth knowledge of administration and management; that is to say that he/she must have a clear understanding of how the educational system works
- Have strong knowledge of laws that guide education within the work area
- 2-4 years of relevant experience in a similar advisory role, preferably in an educational system
- A degree in Education, specifically in guidance counselling, or in curriculum and instruction
- An MSC. in any relevant field will be an added advantage.
If you are thinking of hiring an educational consultant and need to make a good description for the role, this post will be of help to you.
You can create a detailed and effective work description that will enable you to attract the best candidates for the position by applying the sample job description copy provided above.
You will also find this post valuable if you are interested in becoming an educational consultant as you will learn so much about the duties and responsibilities of the job.
Did you find this post useful in learning about what educational consultants do? Do share your thought of this article in the comment box below. You can also share your job description if you work as a consultant in the education field.