This post provides detailed information on the job description of a cashier at Dollar General, to help you learn the work they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make the Dollar General cashier work description.
It also presents the major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired for the cashier job at the Dollar General or other similar companies.
Please, read on:
What Does a Dollar General Cashier Do?
The Dollar General cashier is responsible for checking out customers at the store. They are also responsible for counting money in the register and ensuring that all items purchased by a customer are properly priced.
As part of their daily routine, the Dollar General cashier counts cash received from the till (the total amount of money collected) and rings up sales to determine how much change should be given to each customer.
A Dollar General cashier must ensure that all transactions are recorded accurately and that there are no errors when recording data.
This includes entering data into the computer system as well as making sure that any mistakes are corrected before they can affect other transactions.
The Dollar general cashier must be friendly and courteous to customers, whether they are buying or not.
They must be willing to assist customers who may have questions about products or services offered by the store.
They use a calculator and communicate well using numbers. They carry out basic math problems such as calculating tips, dividing amounts, multiplying and adding numbers.
The Dollar General job description entails maintaining records of the business, including keeping track of the number of employees, inventory levels, and sales figures.
It also involves maintaining an accurate record of all transactions made during the day; including recording details such as the date, time, location, type of transaction, and the name of the person involved.
Taking orders from customers and answering questions about products and services available is also part of the Dollar General cashier’s duties.
Dollar General cashiers use a variety of tools and equipment provided by the company to perform tasks.
These include hand calculators, cash registers, and computers.
One of the jobs of the Dollar General cashier is to scan, process, and package merchandise according to established procedures.
They follow safety procedures and rules set by the company. This includes following all policies and procedures, observing all safety guidelines, and adhering to all laws and regulations.
They greet customers with a smile and pleasant attitude. They must also be able to deal politely and professionally with customers who make complaints or ask difficult questions.
The cashier assists salespeople with stocking, visual merchandising, and up-selling operations in line with the store’s regulations.
As a part of the customer service team, the Dollar General cashier is responsible for providing clients with information on any discounts or deals available on their preferred items, as well as fresh pricing information.
They compute the total purchases of clients and offer them with information about the final amount.
They Process credit card and cash transactions, as well as issue change and receipts.
The Dollar General cashier’s duties also cover providing clients with information on return and exchange policies, as well as timescales for returns and exchanges.
Dollar General Cashier Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The Dollar General cashier job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Answer phones and take messages
- Help customers to locate the items they need in the store
- Assist customers with finding items that they want to purchase
- Offer customers help when needed
- Check stock levels and ensure that shelves are stocked correctly
- Use a computer terminal to input data into the system
- Take payments from customers
- Handle money and keep it safe
- Count money and prepare change
- Keep a clean work area
- Follow all company policies and procedures
- Maintain a positive and friendly attitude toward co-workers and customers
- Ensure all safety guidelines and rules are maintained
- Attend to customers with respect and be helpful to them.
Dollar General Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume or CV as someone who has worked before in the role of a cashier at Dollar General or are presently working in that position, you can make a compelling Professional Experience section for your resume by is applying the above Dollar General cashier job description example.
You can highlight the Dollar General cashier duties and responsibilities from the above job description sample in your resume’s Professional Experience section, to show that you have been successful performing the cashier’s role at Dollar General.
This piece of information can greatly influence the recruiter/employer to grant you an interview and give you the job, especially if the new position requires candidates to have some cashiering work experience at the Dollar General or other like companies.
Dollar General Cashier Requirements: Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking the cashier job at the Dollar General, you will be expected to meet certain requirements to be hired, including:
- You should be between 18 years old and 35 years old
- You should be willing to learn new skills and techniques
- You should be flexible enough to work different shifts
- You should be able and willing to work overtime if required
- You should be reliable and punctual
- You should be able handle pressure and stress
- You should be able work independently
- You should be able carry out instructions given by your supervisor
- You should be able perform routine tasks quickly and accurately
- You should be able meet deadlines
- You should be able maintain good attendance
- You should be able stay calm under pressure
- You should be able cope with changes in the workplace
- You should be able adapt to change
- You should be able follow written and verbal instructions
- You should be able use computers and other office equipment.
Dollar General Cashier Salary
The average Dollar General cashier compensation is $9 per hour, according to Glassdoor. Dollar General cashier wages range from $7 to $21 per hour.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the cashier career at Dollar General or other similar companies, to boost their knowledge of the role.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in writing a detailed job description for a cashier position, for use in their hiring process for the role.