This post provides complete information on the job description of the director of inside sales, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they usually perform.
What Does Director of Inside Sales Do?
A director of inside sales is a staff of an organization saddled with the responsibility of new business generation – with major brands.
This is an ideal position for someone who enjoys working in demanding and challenging environment and usually have fun doing it.
The job description of the director of inside sales includes leading the sales process of the company and also managing the set of assigned verticals.
He/she is expected to lead by example, driving the rest of their team unto achieving expected results.
The director is also to ensure that the high standards of the organization are maintained and enforced when necessary.
He/she also has the role to train assigned team members, who are usually made up of people from varying backgrounds, and different levels of experience.
This position requires someone who is an expert in the industry, as he/she will have to handle tasks that will require in-depth know how of the prevailing trends.
The inside sales director should have the ability to build and maintain relationships with customers and associates.
An important skill that needs to be possessed by this individual is the ability to effectively transfer and communicate his/her thoughts and ideas using speech, and also to influence others to gain support.
His/her work description also include duties such as monitoring activities like total inbound/outbound call time, IRA daily activity, average daily transactions, total transactions, average daily revenue, total revenue, and average sales.
As often as possible, he/she regularly conducts reviews of performance with the team. This is to ensure the team’s alignment to the plan.
Like most professional positions, the director in charge of inside sales is expected to meet or exceed team quota and to develop revenue forecasts, which is done through effective management of the sales team.
Director of Inside Sales Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The tasks, duties, and responsibilities of a director of inside sales are outlined in the job description example below:
- Collaborate with other departments in order to develop sales strategy for enhancing the company’s growth
- Motivate, train, coach, and develop a team of Account Executives
- Discover individuals with exceptional skills, train, and bring them on board in the team
- Effectively create and articulate ROI in various negotiations
- Lead variety of training sessions on a monthly basis, this could range from small group to large group presentations and development sessions
- Travel as required by employer
- Ensure that the company meets its stipulated growth goals
- Lead pitch development process
- Assist in building a high-performing sales process
- Develop well targeted strategies and sales plans
- Ensure effective prospecting, up/cross selling, pipeline development
- Develop strategies for the allocation of resources for the achievement of given quota
- Facilitate and direct the use of resources
- Ensure the consistent implementation of effective sales processes for optimum performance and success of the organization
- Assist the marketing personnel in creating merchandising programs and campaigns
- Keep track, monitor, and respond to all company’s performances related to sales
- Develop effective benchmarks for optimum team performance
- Inspire and foster a high-performing sales culture
- Recruit and develop team who will lead the business forward
Director of Inside Sales Job Description for Resume
The writing of a resume for seeking the job of director of inside sales can be facilitated by using information from the sample job description given above in making the work history section of the resume.
Director of Inside Sales Requirements: Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
The skills and competencies usually required by employers for hiring into the position of director of inside sales are outlined below:
- Creativity and ability to be a problem solver; with willingness and ability to figure out things on the fly
- Flexibility in work schedules
- Ability to understand online metrics and analytics, and communicate ROI
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good negotiating skills
- A strong understanding of business practices and industry trends
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to change
- Ability to influence people
- Exceptional business closing skills
- Relationship management skills
- Ability to work independently, with little or no supervision
- Ability to develop sales presentations, position statements, messages, and other sales collateral
- Ability to effectively manage a budget
- Proven ability to negotiate successfully and close complex contracts