This post provides detailed information on the job description of a customer service assistant, to boost your knowledge of the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
What Does a Customer Service Assistant Do?
Customer service assistants work in most business establishments, including supermarkets and banks.
Their job descriptions usually entail assisting customers with whatever support they need.
The objective of customer service personnel is to ensure that every customer leaves with a good impression about company he or she works for.
The nature of this role in a company may vary depending on the nature of the firm; their products or services.
Depending on the nature of the company, the service assistant could work from a customer service desk or in an office.
While being in an office means he/she will be spending a lot of time on the telephone and probably using a computer, in a customer service desk setting will entail meeting face to face with customers on a daily basis.
Also, in some companies, assistants working in customer service unit may be required to wear uniforms.
They are responsible for handling complaints by customers; in case beyond their control, they can pass it unto the appropriate department.
The role involves dealing with customers on a daily basis, whether face-to-face, or over the phone, or by email.
Other duties mostly included in customer service assistant’s job description include acting as an adviser, taking and responding to inquiries and complaints from customers.
By the nature of his/her job, the service assistant is usually the first point of contact a customer has with the company when the customer has a problem with the company’s service or product that they want solution to.
Therefore, it is expected of a customer assistant to be up-to-date with all the company’s latest and old products or services, and also the promotions that are going on, and be able to give customers the right information concerning what they are inquiring about.
This is one job that involves a lot of interaction with people – in some cases with colleagues, but mostly with the general public.
It is therefore an ideal career position for people who are good in communication and also find it enjoyable helping others.
Customer Service Assistant Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The customer service assistant role is crucial to the success of any business due to the customer-centered duties, tasks, and responsibilities they perform, which are shown in the job description example below:
- Ensure that every customer who steps in through the company’s door leaves a happy person
- Assist customers in making decisions that will save them money in their purchases
- Provide help to customers by offering advice whenever necessary
- Resolve issues and complaints from clients by providing them with appropriate information
- May be responsible for handling payments and ad, playing a part in various events and customer promotions
- Take orders or sell products
- May be responsible for setting up insurance policies and booking tickets for customers
- Keep the company’s database and enter necessary customer information unto the existing ones whenever necessary
- Collect payment for goods or services; give refunds when necessary
Customer Service Assistant Job Description for Resume
When preparing a resume for the role of customer service assistant, the sample job description given above provides the right information for making the professional experience section of the resume.
Customer Service Assistant Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
To be considered for employment as a customer service assistant in most companies, there are certain skills, knowledge, and abilities you will be required to have, these include:
- People’s skills: This is one skill that is just as important as a formal qualification, when it comes to this position. You must be able to easily get along with people
- You must possess excellent communication skills for effective interaction with diverse groups of people
- You must possess a friendly personality to be easily approachable by all persons
- You should have a fair knowledge of IT; ability to find your way around the computer system and other related gadgets
- A previous experience of working in a related field, or dealing with people whether face-to-face or over the telephone, or by email will give you an edge
- Possession of basic math skills to be able to perform simple calculations on the spot
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to maintain positive disposition and be effective at work even when under pressure
- Possession of administration skills
- Ability to be patient with customer no matter how difficult they might be
- Possession of a polite, thoughtful and friendly attitude
- Ability to meet up with given deadlines
- Ability to multi task and still work effectively