This post presents exhaustive information on the construction site safety supervisor job description, including the main duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically carry out.
It also provides the major requirements that candidates for the construction site safety supervisor role are usually asked to satisfy to be qualified for hiring.
What Does a Construction Site Safety Supervisor Do?
A construction site safety supervisor is responsible for monitoring or overseeing construction sites and making sure that workers within the environment adhere to government regulations/standards regarding safety.
The construction safety supervisor job description basically entails making sure that workers within a particular construction site follow already established policies and/or safety measures/regulations.
In most cases, a construction safety supervisor draws up and implements policies/guidelines that help reduce the risk of workplace accidents.
He/she is responsible for determining the kind of policies that are needed within the construction site and how to carry them out.
He/she on a routine basis inspects the work site to determine if there is any form of hazards and to also develop policies/procedures that will help to eliminate it from the work environment.
The construction site safety supervisor’s work description usually also entails checking to know if the workers within the site are making use of proper protective equipment required for each work unit, and also make sure that they (the workers) fully understand how to use certain tools and equipment.
In a situation whereby a work-related accident occurs, the safety supervisor will have to carry out an investigation so as to determine the primary cause(s) of the accident.
It is based on his/her investigative findings that the construction safety supervisor draws up recommendations that should be adhered to so as to avoid the recurrence of such accident(s).
Construction Site Safety Supervisor Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Construction site safety supervisors perform a wide range of functions/duties in making sure that construction sites or workplaces are safe for the daily operation of workers at all times.
The job description below is a typical example of the kind of tasks, duties, and responsibilities commonly assigned to individuals who work as safety supervisors within construction sites and/or workplaces:
- Supervises day-to-day activities within a particular construction workplace
- Ensures that workers make use of necessary protective equipment like helmets, hand gloves, welding shades etc., where and when necessary
- Investigates accidents and tackle their causes
- Takes note of workers’ safety concerns and immediately acts on them
- Arranges training programs on safety measures within the workplace
- Develops plans for emergency procedures with the consent of the manager(s) of the workplace
- Receives and acts on reports regarding safety concerns from workers within the construction site/workplace
- Serves as a link between workers and top management when it comes to issues that have to do with the safety and proper organization of the workplace
- Introduces measures that will help curb accidents within the workplace.
Construction Site Safety Supervisor Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for a Successful Career
When hiring for the role of a construction site safety supervisor, most employers will expect you to meet the following requirements and qualifications to be able to access the job and offered an interview appointment:
- Must have excellent communication skills on all fronts
- Must be someone that pays keen attention to details at all times
- Must have good organizational abilities
- Must be able and willing to coordinate the activities of other workers in safety-related matters
- Must be someone that has good interpersonal skills
- Must be proactive and diligent in carrying out your duties
- Must never delay in acting towards any hazardous situation
- Possession of excellent leadership skills is a must
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in a field related to construction or civil engineering
- A degree or certification in occupational health safety is also required
- Licensing and accreditation with respect to the construction industry are a must-have
- A minimum of 3 years work experience as a safety officer/manager in a similar working environment
- A Master’s degree would be of added advantage
- You may be required to pass an assessment test to qualify for this role.
You will find the sample job description for the construction site safety supervisor position provided in this post useful if you are an employer in the process of hiring for the role.
You will be able to produce a great and precise description for the position in your organization easily and vividly too by making use of the content of this post, and that will enhance your chances of getting the best-qualified candidates applying for the job.
If you are interested in the safety management career, you will also find this post beneficial in learning about the roles and responsibilities that describe the position of the construction safety supervisor.
With the detailed information about this role that you get from this post, you will be more able to make better decisions about the career.