Business Analyst Job Description Example
What Does a Business Analyst Do?
Business analysts are professionals who are concerned with evaluating the overall structure of a given business, with very important facets such as management, accounting, sales and marketing, systems management, labor, and facilities.
Their job description entails evaluating a business objectively and offering fair suggestions on how to improve the overall efficiency of some specific areas of the company, with special attention on increasing both the profitability and the stability of the company.
For several years, a business analyst would use general principles for almost every type of company, irrespective of the industry affiliation.
To some extent, some degree of success was recorded, as the basic principles of communication processes, risk management, process management and utilization of labor translate well into just about any business setting.
With the emergence of computers and technology in the middle of the 20th century, IT business analyst positions also emerged to assist companies convert their data to electronic use rather than strictly relying on traditional methods.
These days, many business analysts are responsible for providing this level of service to many business communities, often assisting many struggling companies to make the needed changes that put their business operation on a better foundation.
In recent times, it is very common to find a business analyst whose duties focus on a limited set of business functions or a particular industry.
One common example is the case whereby a business analyst specializes in evaluating the information technology infrastructure of a company.
The Information Technology business analyst’s job might be to focus on the efficiency of the network linking all sections and locations of the company together, the quality of the computer hardware used in each of the departments of the company, as well as how efficiently information flows from one end of the company to to another using databases and software.
Business Analyst Job Description Example
Below are major duties, tasks, and responsibilities which form the job description of most business analysts.
- Work with Surveillance users to analyze, organize, and document business requirements for reports, surveillance, and relevant workflows
- Use knowledge of functional requirements to help with user interface design as well as wireframe documentation cum review
- Work with component testing staff in order to ensure that deliverables meet business requirements
- Recommend and develop new methodologies for compliance requirements and supporting information management security in relation to data management
- Collaborate with business partners to help in identifying, analyzing, and resolving inconsistencies and data errors
- Work with data analysts cum architects in order to ensure database designs are correspond with information architecture cum information management, as well as industry standards.
The job description sample given above can also provide the relevant information for writing the job history section and other parts of a resume for the post of business analyst.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for the Position of Business Analyst
Here are important skills, knowledge, and abilities individuals seeking the job of business analyst are required to possess to excel in the position:
- Experience and knowledge of Trade Surveillance domain
- Experience and knowledge of business/data analysis
- Experience and knowledge of front, middle, and back office trade processing platforms as well as knowledge of flows and trading products
- Experience and knowledge of standard business modeling techniques like use cases, cross-functional process flows and wireframes
- Experience and knowledge of data modeling
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact with all non-technical and technical members of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to flow and interact with company’s senior management
- Must be able to multi-task with ease
- Must be able to deliver technical projects on time
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent presentation cum documentation skills
- Proficiency in Project, Visio and Microsoft Office.