Barista Job Description Example
What Does A Barista Do?
A barista otherwise known as a bartender is that friendly worker usually behind the counter at any coffee shop; they make and deliver coffees to whomever cares and orders.
A barista’s job description entails using a coffee machine to produce espresso coffees and making them into cappuccinos, lattes, and macchiatos.
He/she will also be required to serve snacks and light meals.
To be effective at this work, customer service skills would be an important skill that one would need to develop.
It usually involves working on shift patterns, and most of the times working on some weekends and holidays.
When you walk into any coffee service establishment, baristas are usually the first people you will come across.
They’ll walk towards you to know your coffee choice and go ahead to prepare according to your specification.
They are also responsible for providing you with a description of available menu items and suggesting possible products that might appeal to you.
Baristas are usually known for their ability to be great multi-taskers; making beverages in an extremely fast paced environment – following the standard recipes and also getting it right the first time.
If you are someone who loves working in a fast-paced environment; hot, busy and noisy, this is an ideal job for you.
This is one role that can be so physically demanding, as it requires standing up on your feet for long hours, and as such only someone who is physically fit can work at it effectively.
This position does not need formal education; however, those with one have a higher chance of impressing their employer.
Job Description Example of a Barista
The position of a barista comes with its own sets of responsibilities, tasks, and duties, which are given below in the job description example for the role:
- Prepare and serve beverages like coffee, blended coffees, espresso drinks, and teas whether hot or cold
- Ensure work area is clean and sanitized, including sanitizing utensils, or equipment
- Clean seating areas
- Describe items on the menu to customers
- Suggest products that might appeal to customers
- Order, receive, and/ or stock supplies for coffee making
- Receive customer payments, and process and offer change if required
- Replace coffee that doesn’t meet customer’s satisfaction
- Perform general and preventive maintenance on machines used for coffee making regularly
- Serve foods, such as muffins, biscotti, or bagels
- Take orders from customers and convey to other employees for preparation
- Demonstrate to customer, how to make use of retail equipment, such as espresso machines
- Answer any inquiries from customers as regards beverage menu and how it is prepared
- Educate customers on current promotions and new products
- Respond to customer complaints
- Dismantle machinery and clean appropriately as the need arises
- Monitor inventory
- Stock inventory according to requirements by employer
- Perform opening and closing duties for every shift
Barista Resume Preparation
Baristas resumes can be prepared by extracting information from the sample job description provided above in producing the professional experience section of the resume, as well as other parts.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for the job of a Barista
Below are basic skills and abilities that a barista must possess before he or she is usually considered for the job by most employers:
- High School Diploma is most preferred
- Experience of working in a similar position, and/or in any similar establishment increases your chances
- Experience with coffee making and use of its equipment
- A passion for serving people
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic
- Versatility in all forms of coffee making/ beverage recipes and standards
- Basic money-handling skills; ability to perform basic math
- Enhanced stamina; ability to stand for long hours; ability to lift and carry moderate amounts of weight
- Possess a sense of urgency
- Ability to be flexible
- High energy level
- Good organizational ability/skill
- Customer service orientation
- Good communication skills: ability to read well and speak fluently in required language
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team member
- Possess integrity, reliability and honesty
- Ability to successfully resolve disputes
- Ability to multitask and get several assignments done within a short time
- Ability to work under pressure and still deliver effectively
- Peoples skills: ability to handle people effectively, no matter how difficult they seem to be
- Ability to smile constantly at customers
- Ability to work in an extremely fast-paced environment