Retail Sales Assistant Job Description Example, Duties and Responsibilities
What Does a Retail Sales Assistant Do?
Retail sales assistants are front line store personnel who deliver various customer-focused services to drive sales and maximize profits for a retail establishment.
Their job description entails fulfilling a range of customer service requirements to ensure clients have an enjoyable retail experience.
Sales assistants are customer’s first port of call in a retail store; they assist customers in identifying choice products, providing product information and offering advice on products that’ll best meet set requirements.
They promote sales by employing cross selling and up selling techniques.
Their role also involves overseeing the processing of debit/credit card transaction as well as collection of cash payments for product purchase.
Usually, sales assistants in a retail setting provide customers with warranty and after sales services.
They handle refunds or exchange for product returns. They also decide when to offer customers discounts on purchases.
As part of their work description, retail sales assistant monitor level of inventory stock displayed on shelves to facilitate restocking of out of stock items.
They are responsible for the overall cleanliness, upkeep and maintenance of a store.
They also order new merchandise and ensure received items are properly displayed.
Sales assistants oversee the arrangement of window displays and general store layout.
They escalate difficult customer complaints, as well as communicate other store issues to the retail sales manager to initiate resolution.
In performing their duties, retail sales assistants balance cash registers at the end of a shift and ensure sufficient change for the next shift.
They comply with established strategies to achieve sales objectives.
They also build and maintain positive trust relationship with clients, such that enhances patronage and increases clientele.
Sales assistants in the retail industry maintain an up-to-date knowledge of products and services so as to effectively conduct sales with customers.
To work as a sales assistant in retail store requires at least a high school diploma and some experience in sales.
Some of the main qualities needed to succeed in this job include customer service skills, as well as communication and IT skills.
Retail Sales Assistant Job Description Example/Template
Sales assistants working in retail stores perform various functions geared towards meeting and increasing their store’s sales goals.
Here are major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the job description of retail sales assistants in most stores:
- Converse with customers to identify their purchasing requirement and assist in locating desired items
- Provide customers with essential product information, as well as offer them a demonstration of product features
- Direct or escort customers to appropriate aisles or store sections where they can find choice products
- Provide solutions or replies to address customers’ problems or inquires
- Oversee the tagging of products to ensure correct prices are reflected
- Provide customers with after sales services and warranty agreements
- Monitor displayed products to facilitate replenishment of emptying shelves
- Oversee the upkeep, maintenance and general cleanliness of a store and it’s premises
- Collect cash payments and process credit card transactions for the purchase of goods
- Evaluate stock inventory to determine the need for new shipments or product order
- Receive new shipments and ensure proper storage of excess stock
- Handle cases of product return, refund or exchange
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of store products and services in order to effectively conduct sales
- Upsell and cross sell in order to increase sales and maximize company profits
- Keep a watchful eye for shoplifters and pilferers to minimize risk of theft
- Work closely with retail sales managers to ensure sales targets are achieved.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Retail Sales Assistant Job
Are you looking to work as a sales assistant in a retail environment? If you are, then here are common requirements you will be expected to meet by most recruiters to qualify for the job:
- Education and Training: To become a retail sales assistant, you require at least a high school diploma and a background in sales. Most employers provide on-the-job training in order to acquaint retail personnel with sales processes
- Customer Service Skills: Retail sales assistants are adept at courteously relating with customers to meet their requirements
- Communication Skills: They are able to effectively communicate with customers to identify their purchasing needs
- IT Skills: They are proficient in using computer systems to maintain customer profile and database.
The sample retail sales assistant work description provided in this post is useful to employers who are hiring for the role.
They can use it as a template in designing a comprehensive job description that attracts the best persons for the job, and in assigning tasks to them.
Also, if you are interested in the retail sales assistant job, you will find this post helpful in learning more about what the role entails, and what you need to do to succeed in it if hired.
Did this post help you to learn more about what retail sales assistants do? Please, share you view about this article in the comment box below. You may also share your daily activities if you work as a sales assistant in a retail store.