Logistics Specialist Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Logistics Specialist Do?
A logistics specialist covers a wide range of duties when it comes to the field of management. In the case of a company, a logistics specialist deals with the shipping, storing or warehousing, and receipt of goods and services for the firm.
His/her job description entails making sure that the company’s storeroom or shelves are stocked at all times; that receipts and invoices are properly filled and entered, and orders that are made by the firm are tracked always as at when due.
The logistics manager is also responsible for making sure that delivery vans or cargo ships (as the case may be) are properly loaded.
A logistics manager in a bid to carry out his or her duties effectively has to fully gain knowledge of the firm’s product(s) and how they can be stored appropriately.
He or she must be abreast with new findings and trends that relate to the company’s product(s) so as to be able to make meaningful contributions to top management as regards product improvement.
He/she usually has expertise in the handling of different equipment normally used for the storage and shipment of products.
The upkeep of the organization’s storage houses is also overseen by the logistics specialist.
In the case of international transactions, he/she prepares the necessary shipping and export documents.
The specialist’s role also involves developing a deep understanding of the needs of customers and taking required action to make sure that the needs are met, thereby maintaining and developing positive business relationships with customers.
The needs of customers usually revolves around the timely delivery of goods and services that they ordered for and the perfect condition of products that were delivered to them.
The specialist’s duties also entail reviewing the company’s logistics performance with customers in line with laid down targets and agreements, i.e. terms and conditions.
In a bid to enhance logistics performance, he/she has to implement appropriate technology (based on current trends).
A logistics specialist works hand-in-hand with various departments within an organization so as to effectively meet the requirements of customers; to maximize opportunities for sales or minimize shortages that may have a telling effect on the business as the case may be.
He/she also makes presentations or proposals in which he/she explains proposed solutions to the company’s top management and/or customers.
The logistics specialist work description also entails managing the logistical aspects of a product; the planning, coordination, and repair of the product as at when due.
It also involves ensuring the availability and allocation of supplies based on orders, as well as redesigning of movement of goods and services so as to minimize costs.
The specialist also performs managerial duties like hiring and training of required staff to carry out logistics tasks.
His/her description also entails providing and analyzing technical data in relation to logistics operations.
The development of transportation costs on particular projects is also done by the logistics specialist.
Logistics Specialist Job Description Example/Template
Logistics specialists perform various functions in ensuring that their firms don’t run out of stock.
The typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities carried out by logistics specialists are highlighted in the job description example below:
- Maintain and administer company inventory control and property management procedure
- Develop important reports, outline/schedule and conduct stock-taking as at when due
- Take responsibility for property and maintenance of issues
- Help in planning and maintaining of logistics policies and procedures
- Keep proper records of all forms of transactions relating to the company’s logistics operations
- Resolve problems that are related to transportation and logistics systems
- Negotiate transport or logistics rates with suppliers and customers so as to improve the supply chain
- Analyze areas of corporate logistics so as to find out the most cost-effective means or method of transporting supplies
- Communicate transport or logistics cost to customers or suppliers as the case may be
- Evaluate and process claims made by customers
- Monitor the entire process of product movement
- Track shipments across different channels.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Logistics Specialist Role
If you are seeking to work as a logistics specialist, here are common requirements, including skills, knowledge, and qualifications you will need to possess to access the role with most companies:
- Good communication skills on all fronts, as well as excellent interpersonal skills so as to ensure free flow of company logistics process
- Good customer care ability
- Ability to work as part of a team whenever it is necessary to do so
- Good analytical skills and ability to prioritize in the face of multiple tasks
- Excellent time management skills so as to ensure efficiency in service delivery at all times
- Ability to be proactive when dealing with customer complaints or requests
- Good numerical and IT skills
- A degree in any social science or management field
- 1-3 years of relevant experience in a similar role
- Any other professional certification will be of added advantage.
Are you an employer needing a job description for the logistic specialist position for use in hiring new people for the role? If you are, then you can use the sample copy in this post to create a good one for your company.
You will be able to make a detailed logistics specialist work description from the in-depth information in this post, which can help you attract the best qualified candidates for the job.
And if you are someone interested in becoming a logistics specialist, this post will also help you learn a great deal about what they do. You will then be able to make up your mind if that is the career you want to get into.
Did you find this post helpful in learning about what logistics specialist do? We will appreciate knowing what you think about this article, please leave a comment in the box below. Do also share your job description if you work as a logistics specialist.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.