Housekeeping Manager Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Housekeeping Manager Do?
A housekeeping manager is a person who works at a hotel or onboard such as luxury accommodation like ships, yacht, universities, and clubs and coordinates the activities of persons who are detailed to ensure that the environment meets the minimum standards of habitability as set by the organization and/or health standards-setting organizations.
The fact that no hotel can do without a housekeeping manager is underlined by their job description.
It is the responsibility of the manager to ensure that each member of the housekeeping team understands the organization’s cleaning procedure; especially new employees.
He/she is detailed to maintain housekeeping equipment in a good working state and to determine the minimum standards of clothing for members of staff.
The housekeeping manager’s role also entails motivating, training, and retraining of members of staff under him/her.
He/she is responsible for addressing complaints of members of staff on situations preventing or inhibiting their utmost performance.
His/her work description also involves recognizing areas that need to be cleaned, and assigning such areas to specific members of staff.
Housekeeping managers are detailed to ensure housekeeping supplies and equipment are always available when they are needed.
They are also responsible for taking inventory of housekeeping supplies.
They ensure adequate staffing in the light of the responsibility assigned to their departments, but are also expected to ensure that the payroll of members of staff in their department does not exceed budget
h2>Housekeeping Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Housekeeping managers perform various functions in effectively managing people and resources to providing a satisfying housekeeping service.
The typical tasks, duties, and responsibilities housekeeping managers commonly perform in a hospitality setting like a hotel are highlighted below:
- Assign duties to members of staff
- Inspect the environment within the organization to ensure it meets the minimum best practice throughout the organization
- Develop minimum standards for prospective members of his department and minimum standards for rating the work
- Listen to customers’ complaints and ensure that the complaints are addressed efficiently and effectively
- Stand-in for any member of staff that is unavailable to carry out their duties in order to prevent any unfilled gap
- Responsible for ensuring dirty laundries are timelessly and appropriately cleaned
- Order supplies for the housekeeping department
- Ensure efficient use of departmental resources
- Direct all housekeeping activities
- Maintain good relationship with customers and/or clients and suppliers of housekeeping items
- Maintain good relationship with managers of other units in the organization.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For a Housekeeping Manager Role
If you are applying to a housekeeping manager position, here are major requirements and qualifications that you may have to meet to be qualified for the position and get an interview:
- Passionate about a hygienic environment
- Mathematical skills needed in order to appropriately mix cleaning agents according to the prescription of the manufacturer
- The ability to take the initiative and lead others
- Knowledge of the process of sterilizing equipment
- Effective interpersonal skill
- Work experience as a housekeeping manager may be considered in lieu of appropriate certification
- The ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- The ability to pay attention to details
- Good listening skill
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Good diplomatic skill
- Punctuality to serve as an example to employees
- Basic understanding of how to carry out plumbing and electrical repairs
- The ability to think critically over housekeeping issues and proffer cost-effective solutions
- Self-control is also a necessary characteristic of a prospective housekeeping manager to handle difficult people appropriately
- Proficiency in the use of information and communication technology tools is a plus for prospective housekeeping managers
- Pre-employment tests: Some employers may require that you pass certain assessment tests to prove your suitability for the job before granted an interview.
Are you an employer looking to hire for the housekeeping manager position? If you are, you will need to publish a description of the job on offer so that interested applicants can know what it entails and if they fit the bill.
To make a detailed description of the role and improve your chances of attracting the best individuals to your job offer, you can apply the sample job description highlighting the major duties and responsibilities of housekeeping managers provided in this post.
This article is also beneficial to individuals interested in the housekeeping career. They will have their knowledge of what housekeeping managers do increased and therefore will be able to make the best decisions regarding the career.
Did this post help improve your knowledge of the housekeeping manager duties and responsibilities? Please, leave your thoughts in the comment box below. And if you work as a manager of housekeeping services, please share your job description too.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.