This post provides detailed information on the teacher aide job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that individuals seeking the job of a teacher aide must meet to be hired by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Teacher Aide Do?
A teacher aide is responsible for assisting children in classroom activities.
The teacher aide job description involves helping the teacher with classroom tasks and activities and providing support in the field.
It also entails working under the supervision of the principal, maintaining a safe school environment by performing tasks such as cleaning up and disposing of waste, attending to minor health needs, etc.
Teacher aides help with basic administrative duties, such as sending out school letters, photocopying documents, and maintaining supplies, and doing other clerical work.
Their duties also include helping children with assigned work.
Teacher aides are responsible for setting up the classroom for the day and for after school activities, such as laying out tables, chairs, etc.
They are responsible for keeping the class library stocked with new books and handling of overdue books as well.
The teacher aide work description also entails monitoring students during lunch to ensure they are eating in a safe manner and supervising recess periods during their lunch break.
It also involves monitoring the students and helping in an emergency.
Teacher aides keep themselves knowledgeable in their department, staying current with curriculum changes and activities that students do during the year.
They assist students who have special learning needs, such as those with disabilities, and are also responsible for reporting any incidents of bullying or misbehavior by students.
It is also the duty of the teacher aide to administer medication and help students with the necessary medical needs.
Additionally, they also assist the teacher in organizing special events, and may be required to attend department meetings, parent teacher conferences, and other school activities.
Teacher aides follow up on student progress before and after school, such as ensuring that students are attending class sessions or are showing good academic proficiency or growth during the year.
Teacher Aide Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The teacher aide job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Provide orientation to new students to help them with the transition to school
- Help teach the classroom lessons
- Get the classroom ready after a class for the next one
- Be responsible for filing work sheet and report cards on a daily basis
- Participate in PTA/school visits as assigned by supervisor
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all student information in database
- Attendance at all staff meetings and school activities
- Assist in maintaining a safe environment for students and staff by observing established school rules
- Provide tutoring to students with exceptional needs
- Assist cafeteria staff to make sure they have sufficient food, supplies and equipment to prepare meals
- Answer questions from students about the school, peers, or curriculum
- Maintain a student discipline diary of incidents and monitor those who have been referred
- Communicate with parents or guardians by phone or in person to address issues of concern
- Assist in setting up bulletin boards and class projects
- Set up supplies in classrooms before and after school hours
- Aid teachers in the classroom
- Develop relationships with students, families, and staff
- Assist in creating a positive and lively school environment
- Greet new students and parents with a friendly smile
- Assist bus drivers with transportation needs of students
- Call parents if there is an emergency in school
- Assist with meeting planning and preparation.
Teacher Aide Job Description for Resume
If you have worked previously as a teacher aide or are presently working in that role and are making a resume or CV for a new job, you can make an effective Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the teacher aide job description example provided above.
You can express the duties and responsibilities you have performed or are currently carrying out as a teacher aide in your resume Professional Experience by utilizing the above teacher aide job description sample.
This will prove to employers/recruiters that you have been successful performing the teacher aide duties and responsibilities, which can greatly improve your chances of being hired for the new position you are applying for, especially if it requires someone with some teacher aide work experience.
Teacher Aide Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important requirements you may be asked to fulfill to be hired for the teacher aide role:
- Have completed a minimum of 48 hours approved hours in child development, speech and language pathology or special education programs
- Possess certification from the State of location
- Must have a current TB test (Tuberculosis test) within the last twelve months
- Be 18 years or older and a High School graduate or meet equivalent qualifications
- Have a valid driver’s license and car insurance
- Able to attend and complete an employment screening process with pre-employment medical exams, criminal background checks and drug and alcohol testing
- May be asked to take drug test from time to time without prior notice during employment
- Willing to participate in the self-development of basic education skills (reading, writing, math, computer skills), as well as life skills training
- Prepared to abide by the Code of Conduct and the disciplinary process of the school
- Willing to accept flexible work scheduling (consistent from one day to the next)
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds for over 6 hours at a time
- Have good work ethic, positive attitude, and self-motivation
- Willing to relocate based on job location
- Ability to participate in a pre-hire conference regarding the job requirements and philosophy
- Must be able to learn necessary computer and software applications
- May be subject to a polygraph test as part of the pre-employment process.
Teacher Aide Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average compensation for a teacher Aide in the United States is $28,974 per year.
A teacher aide’s job description and responsibilities can vary depending on the school district and their position in a school.
The information above is a good starting point, but you may find that your teacher aide job description includes additional duties.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the teacher aide career. They can learn all they need to know about what teacher aides do, and so be able to make the right choice whether to choose the career or not.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the teacher aide role in their organization, for use in hiring for the position.