Sample Interview Questions for Account Manager Position (with Answers)
If you have been scheduled to take a job interview for the account manager position, it’s important to prepare well for the questions that will be asked to stand a better chance of getting the job.
This post provides lots of samples of account manager interview questions that you can practice with to get you very prepared for the real interview.
What do Interviewers look for in an Account Manager?
When hiring for the account manager position, interviewers usually look for a mix of skills, traits and experience, which include:
- Skills in problem solving and creating innovative solutions to problems.
- Skills in self-management, including prioritization skills, time management, and time tracking experience.
- Experience with interfaces with top business counterparts who have their own criteria for evaluation of potential new hires.
- Accounting background or personal knowledge about accounting system capabilities, requirements for different care providers, cost/performance ratios or other pertinent topics would also be strong assets.
10 Most Common Account Manager Interview Questions and Answers
Here are some of the major interview questions for account manager position (with suggested answers) that you can use in your preparation:
- What is your biggest weakness?
Being too perfectionistic and wanting to be perfect and never making mistakes.
2. What is your greatest accomplishment?
I made $5 million last year at my company and we sold a product that nobody else could sell successfully before, so we can offer it at a lower price than the market had been charging for the same thing.
3. What would your supervisor say about you?
He would say that I always give it my all and that I’m very much a team player, and that he really relies on me.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
In five years I’ll be in charge of my own department, hopefully with a promotion to an executive position in the company.
5. What are your strengths?
I always give it my all, work hard and never quit, and I am very creative at finding ways to getting results and solving problems.
6. What is your biggest flaw?
I can be very demanding and hard to get along with at times. I tend to be very straight forward, honest and blunt to a fault sometimes. However, I am just harsh on myself; others do not see me to be too critical or judgemental of others.
7. Tell me about a difficult situation you’ve been in and how did you handle it.
I really screwed up a client presentation and lost the account; to make matters worse, everyone was expecting me to present it. After that, I had a pretty tough talk with my boss and I told him what happened.
We had an open and honest discussion and I even told him he didn’t have to give me a second chance. He surprised me by saying that he felt some responsibility in not properly training me for the presentation after we got the account last year, but that he was not going to let me be fired over it.
He just said that I would have to work hard to prove myself, but as long as I was working hard, I wouldn’t be fired.
8. What are your thoughts about working evenings and weekends?
I am very comfortable working nights because I get bored if I’m home and don’t have to do anything. As far as weekends go, I still like to have fun on Fridays and Saturdays just like all my friends, so I’m only willing to work Saturday between 3pm and 9pm or Sunday all day.
9. If you had the opportunity to take a different job and advance faster in your company, with less pay, would you?
Yes, I really like money but I also really like what I do so if it was a fast track to get to where I could do more cool things at work and not have as much stress, then I’d do it in a heartbeat.
10. What is your favorite hobby?
I love to go fishing and spending time with my family on vacation.
More Sample Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
Here are additional sample account manager interview questions you can apply to boost your preparation for your next interview:
Sample Behavioral Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
1. What track record do you have in CRM that shows your ability to create new features and functionality?
2. What are some of the most significant projects you’ve led? For example: revenue growth, customer satisfaction, etc.?
3. How would you describe your approach to leading and motivating people? Are you a strong team player who prioritizes collaboration over competition or do you prefer to work independently?
4. Think about one recent instance where someone challenged your thinking on a project or task that had significance for the company’s progress; what did it feel like for you in the moment and how did it ultimately turn out?
5. How do you work with others to share information and identify problems and opportunities?
Sample Case Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
1. What value does your company offer customers?
2. How would you advertise your service to a new customer?
3. What is the importance of working hard in a stressful situation?
4. Describe a time where you were faced with a difficult problem that you solved.
5. What have been the main challenges that have come up during your career?
Sample Competency Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
1. What are your strengths?
2. What are your weaknesses?
3. How would you rate your level of self-confidence on a scale of one to five?
4. What is the most difficult situation you have faced in the last few years, and how did you handle it?
5. Can you give an example of a time when you were able to successfully balance multiple projects or priorities at once?
Sample Problem-solving Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
1. What are the strengths and weaknesses of your company?
2. What is the goal you would be working towards if you were given this position?
3. How do you characterize your potential in getting along with co-workers, customers, and managers?
4. What strategies do you typically use when faced with a challenge to solve it?
5. Why do you think you are right for this position?
Sample Situational Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
1. What do you think would be the best way to approach a new client?
2. How would you make a sale to this person?
3. What is your past experience as an account manager like?
4. Sell me on our company. Why should we hire you for this position and what value will you bring to the department?”
5. If I were your client and wanted to reach you, what would be the best way for me to do so?
Sample Communication Skills Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
1. What has been your experience in managing an email inbox?
2. Would you please give me an example of a time when you had to handle a sensitive situation with someone else?
3. How would you handle a situation where there was disagreement on what the client wanted, and what is best for them?
4. What do you think an effective presentation looks like? And how do you know when one is successful or not successful?”
5. What is some information about yourself that I should know before we talk further?
Sample Interpersonal Skills Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
1. What is your experience in managing and motivating a team?
2. How would you make the right decisions about the completion of an important project with conflicting deadlines?
3. What do you think is more important: personal fulfillment or success?
4. What types of people don’t work well with you and why is that the case?
5. How often do you need help or guidance from your superiors to complete tasks successfully?
Sample Company Culture Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
1. How do you measure success?
2. What kind of business culture is in place in your previous company?
3. When you’re not working, what do you prefer to do?
4. If something went wrong, what would happen first and what would happen second?
5. How long can someone expect to work at your company before they get promoted?
Sample Leadership Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
1. How does the account manager see his or her role in the organization?
2. What are some of your strong points as an account manager?
3. Describe yourself in a three words?
4. How would you describe your management style?
5. What are some of your greatest accomplishments?
Sample Management Interview Questions for Account Manager Position
1. What are the seven most important qualities of a manager?
2. What tools would you use to assess a new hire?
3. What are the qualities of effective leaders?
4. How do you motivate your team?
5. What’s one of the most important qualities for success in business?
Account Manager Interview Success Tips
If you are aiming for success at your forthcoming account manager interview, you will find these tips helpful:
1. Create a positive first impression.
2. Meet the interviewers halfway.
3. Listen carefully and keep the focus.
4. Be prepared for the interview and practice with commonly asked question like the ones on this page in advance.
5. Be organized and professional.
6. Dress for Success.
7. Think before you speak.
8. Be confident, yet humble.
9. Have a great attitude and personal brand.
10. Say thank you and send thank you letters.
Your chances of doing excellently well in your account manager job interview is greater if you practiced with commonly asked questions before the actual interview date.
This page provided valuable interview question samples for the account manager role that you can practice with to get familiar with the questions to expect.