Sample Interview Questions for HR Manager Position (with Answers)
The HR manager job interview is a highly technical one and the candidate should expect questions from various aspects of management.
The interviewer’s questions would border on your experience in the human resources field and how well you have been able to resolve conflict in the workplace.
These and other questions that you will read on this page are what to expect if you are taking an interview for a HR manager’s job; they help the employer to determine if you are the right person for the job in their organization.
Answers are also provided to some of the common questions you might face in a human resources manager interview session to help you to effectively prepare for it, keep on reading:
What Interviewers look for in an HR Manager?
The hiring manager is usually on the lookout for certain traits in candidates when conducting an interview for an HR manager position.
The hiring manager wants someone who can take initiatives even during the interview session. They want an employee advocate, someone who can get up and fight for their staff.
Hiring managers want an HR manager that’s an advocate of change, a champion, not a quitter.
10 Most Common HR Manager Interview Questions
Here are some questions (with answers) an aspiring HR manager will likely encounter during the course of a job interview, kindly do study them as they’re going to be of benefit during your interview:
- Why did you choose HR as a profession?
This question is to check your true intentions towards the work. Your answer should show a transparent passion for helping, nurturing, and developing people, and being a team player.
2. How long have you worked in human resources?
Let your answer show your level of experience on the job and state some outstanding instances of how experienced you are.
3. How did you successfully handle conflict in an organization?
Variations in conflict management abound, but let the interviewer see how your experience has helped you to resolve a problem, give examples.
4. What part of working in HR do you hate the most?
This question is supposed to showcase your weakness within the department and any grey area of your work you need to develop.
Let your answer convey to the hiring manager the eagerness and flare you’ve got for the work, while admitting some lapses, situations, and certain tasks that cause you to be uncomfortable, which you need help with.
5. What’s your approach on recruiting?
The hiring manager is trying to see if your management style fits the company. Be honest and truthful about your answer and back it up with specific examples.
6. What’s the foremost effective method to drive traffic?
This is a two-fold question; the hiring manager is seeking your view on driving business results and your effectiveness in managing such, as outlined by you. This is often where you would like to point out your presentation skills.
7. What’s your ideal workplace?
Another double question rolled into one by the hiring manager. Be honest in letting the interviewer get the image of the type of labor environment you thrive on.
Be liberal to mention strategy, the way to revamp the workplace and company culture if employed.
8. How do you see HR jobs within the next few years?
The aim of this question is to seek out if you’re abreast with developments within the position you’re applying for. Cite instances from newsletters, seminars, conferences, and reports from leading industry experts on HR and the likes.
9. What management style suites you?
Here, the hiring manager is trying to see if you fit into the corporate system. Mention the corporate culture in your response and the way you’ll adapt, and your flexibility.
10. Any questions for me?
With this question, the interviewer wants your precise feelings and concepts in your question. So ask questions on company profile, culture, and strategy.
More Interview Questions for HR Manager Position
Here are additional HR manager interview questions you can practice with before going for the interview:
Sample Behavioral Interview Questions for HR Manager Position
- Tell me a few goals you set and the way you achieved it?
- Tell me about how you worked under pressure?
- Tell me a few goals you did not achieve?
- How do you stay motivated when the task you are doing is repetitive?
- How difficult was it for you to say “no” to a task?
Sample Case Interview Questions for HR Manager Position
- How would you introduce a product into a market?
- Will you recommend restructuring to the management if the necessity arises?
- How will you cope being employed with an underperforming subordinate?
- How will you revamp the company in terms of personnel, when income is dropping?
- If you’re given data and asked to oversee a large project towards the expansion of the company, what steps will you take to carry out this instruction?
Sample Competency Interview Questions for HR Manager Position
- Describe how you once handled conflict in your workplace?
- How do you cope when struggling or in adversity?
- How did you overcome a workplace challenge?
- Tell me a time when your skill in communicating helped remedy a nasty situation?
- What has been your biggest HR achievement so far?
Sample Problem Solving Interview Questions for HR Position
- Describe a time you used your creativity to unravel employment related issue?
- How does one cope when faced with a challenge you’ve never encountered before?
- What was the foremost stressful situation you ever faced at work and how was it solved by you?
- Do you tackle issues on your own, before asking for help?
- If you’re unable to satisfy a given deadline, what steps will you take to make sure the task scales through?
Sample Situational Interview Questions for HR Manager Position
- Let’s talk about a time you failed in your task, how did you handle it?
- If you’re to work within the same office with someone you don’t get along side, how will you set about it?
- How did you create an impact on a difficult client?
- Give an example of a situation you observed and the way you solved it?
- How will you deal with an important workload?
Sample Communication Interview Questions for HR Manager Position
- What is your best way of communication?
- What makes you to be the best candidate for this role?
- Which is your strongest means of communicating, verbal or written?
- Do you proofread and edit your memos, emails and letters before sending them out?
- Please describe the type of personality you are?
Sample Interpersonal Skills Interview Questions for HR Manager Position
- Who was the worst boss you ever worked with or under and why?
- How do you keep your team motivated once they are cast down?
- What do your critics mention about you the most?
- What kind of person do you enjoy working for/with?
- What makes an honest team player?
Sample Leadership Interview Questions for HR Manager Position
- Do you monitor the performance of the people you lead?
- Are you efficiently ready to assign duties without bias?
- What values are most vital to you as a leader?
- What is your leadership style?
- Who is your favorite leader and why?
Sample Management Interview Questions for HR Manager Position
- What is your greatest strength?
- How do you manage the performance of your employees?
- Describe how you’ll manage your week?
- Explain your management style?
- How do you adapt to change?
Company Culture Interview Questions for HR Manager Position
- What three qualities are most vital to you during a job?
- Do you take initiatives or rather follow company guidelines?
- How does one stay organized?
- What are you passionate about?
- How did you handle a workplace conflict that involved you?
HR Manager Interview Success Tips
To achieve success in your HR job interview, applying the following ideas will be helpful:
- Be early at the venue of the interview; be relaxed to gather your thoughts together.
- Work on questions you read in this article alone or with a colleague.
- Go with extra copies of your resume and pen and paper. Be well dressed for the occasion.
- Be confident and focused.
- Never forget to say “thank you” to the security person and receptionist, and other official around.
If you want to do excellently well in a human resources manager interview, then it is important to find out the possible questions that you may be asked at the interview before the interview day.
This post has just revealed them to you, so you now have an advantage and are better prepared for your next HR manager interview.