This post provides complete information on the job description of a restaurant general manager, to help you learn the work they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the restaurant general manager work description.
It also highlights the major requirements candidates may be asked to meet to be hired for the restaurant general manager role.
What Does a Restaurant General Manager Do?
The restaurant general manager is responsible for overall management of the restaurant, ensuring that the restaurant is run efficiently and profitably. The general manager runs the daily operations of the restaurant day to day.
A restaurant general manager leads by example and motivates his or her staff, plan promotion strategy, schedules promotions, and shows them how to perform their duties well.
Another task of the restaurant general manager is the training of his or her subordinates on maintaining cleanliness at work place, proper handling of food, use of equipment and complying with all health codes.
They ensure that all customers are properly served in a way they like so they will return to the area once again, and tell other customers as well.
They make sure that the restaurant is meeting or exceeding the company’s sales goals by doing things like updating menus often and ordering enough inventory.
The restaurant general manager job description entails ordering cleaning supplies, glassware, and cutlery, as well as ensuring that food quality is maintained by checking the kitchen frequently.
It also involves hiring and training new employees to staff the restaurant.
As a restaurant general manager, you have a duty to take care of contracts with suppliers, such as staffing or leasing equipment, or purchasing maintenance services.
It is the duty of the restaurant general manager to take care of the finances of the restaurant by making sure that receipts are analyzed properly and all bills are paid accurately on time so there is enough cash on hand to pay operating expenses and capital expenditures.
Ensuring that all staff is getting the training they need, as well as ensuring that proper equipment is maintained properly and transportation costs are met is a part of their duties.
The restaurant general manager manages the budget and all the money coming in and out of the restaurant in a way it will be used for profit and loss, so most of them have to be profitable all times.
They ensure the company’s image is maintained by making sure that their work places are clean, well lit, and have plenty of supplies on hand at all times.
Among their tasks is tracking employee attendance and using reports to monitor trends to ensure that there are no significant declines in employee turnover or absenteeism.
Restaurant general managers make sure that all the staff has the required safety gear needed for their positions, such as fire extinguishers, personal flotation devices, and personal protective equipment (PPE) for food handlers, so accidents will never happen again.
Restaurant General Manager Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The restaurant general manager job description entails the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Hire, train, and mentor restaurant staff
- Ensure that all quality control and performance standards are met
- Maintain inventory of supplies, equipment, food and liquor for resale or consumption on premises or for delivery to other locations under the restaurant management’s supervision
- Act as liaison between customer service representatives and kitchen staff to ensure satisfaction with product quality and consistency of menu items served
- Order supplies, equipment, food and liquor for resale or consumption on premises or for delivery to other locations under the restaurant management’s supervision
- Prepare employee schedules for approval by corporate staff or franchisee owner
- Ensure that all safety and sanitation regulations are met by staff members, maintenance personnel and contractors
- Monitor customer traffic flow and seating capacity to ensure maximum profitability of the business
- Maintain trust, respect, and confidentiality of all customer information (credit card numbers, addresses)
- Oversee the hiring of employees in accordance with each restaurant’s new hire procedures (including drug screening) to ensure the development of an effective and productive workforce.
Restaurant General Manager Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a restaurant general manager or are presently working in that role and are making a resume/CV for a new job, you can make the Professional Experience section of your resume very impressive by using content from the above restaurant general manager job description sample in creating it.
You can highlight the restaurant general manager duties and responsibilities from the sample job description above in your Professional Experience, to show that you have been successful working as a restaurant general manager.
This piece of information in your resume can boost your chances of getting the job that you are seeking, especially if the new job requires having some experience working as a restaurant general manager.
Restaurant General Manager Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the restaurant general manager job, here are major requirements most recruiters/employers may want you to fulfill to be hired:
- Requires at least one year experience in a management role in the food service industry or knowledge of food service products and procedures
- Must be organized, focused, and efficient under stress
- Possess excellent communication skills (written and oral and ability to work well under pressure)
- Skilled in using computers and software to keep track of costs, sales, inventory, etc.
- Should have an excellent work ethic, proven experience in a food service environment, and an interest in people
- Must be very organized with good time management skills and be able to prioritize tasks effectively
- Should be able to think creatively to solve situations that may arise within the restaurant or other duties as assigned by management, must have good organizational skills and strong people skills
- Must have excellent customer service skills, including the ability to interact with customers on a regular basis as well as in front-of-the house areas when necessary, needs quick thinking ability as well as a sunny disposition at all times despite what has happened previously.
Restaurant General Manager Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average salary for a restaurant general manager in the United States is $54,699 per year.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the restaurant general manager career; they can learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities of restaurant general managers, to be able to decide if that is what they want to do.
It is also helpful to recruiters/employers needing to make a detailed job description for the restaurant general manager role in their companies for use in hiring for the position.
They can apply the restaurant general manager job description example provided on this page in making one for their companies.