Quality Assurance Engineer Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Quality Assurance Engineer Do?
Quality assurance engineers report to the director of engineering and have the primary responsibility of developing and maintaining production quality standards.
Their job description entails defining requirements for new products, monitoring production quality performance to identify opportunities for improvement, and carrying out of maintenance of quality files, procedures, and work instructions for proper adherence to quality system.
The role of these engineers entails ensuring that a product or service provides a high level of quality that meets customer expectation.
They put in place a system to measure an organization’s performance and then report on its findings.
They also liaise with managers and staff, coordinating procedures to address any deficiencies.
The work description of the quality assurance engineer also entails ensuring that the different products leaving a manufacturing or development company are fully operational, effective, and free from defects.
It also involves analyzing a product under various working conditions and confirming that it delivers on its promise.
QA engineers may work in different setting away from the nature of the product being tested, in the sense that they use a product not just the default way it is recommended but also in ways not intended, which will help them to understand the common problems that users may encounter while using it.
They work in a diverse range of industries, including software or web development, where their duties may involve designing or specifying inspection/testing mechanisms and equipment.
They analyze production/service limitations against standards and recommend revision of specifications where necessary.
The quality assurance engineer description may also involve relating with all other engineering personnel within a company as well as with customers and suppliers on quality related issues.
To get into this career requires having at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or in a related field.
It also requires three years working experience in an Agile or scrum development process.
The qualities you will need to be successful on the job include strong knowledge of software quality assurance methodologies, tools and processes, excellent analytical skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
Quality Assurance Engineer Job Description Example/Template
Quality assurance engineers perform various functions in a production setting to ensure that company’s products are of expected quality that customers will be happy with.
The job description example below highlights major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that make the role of a QA engineer important in production/manufacturing industries:
- Evaluate specification, requirements, and technical design documents to provide prompt and valuable feedback
- Develop detailed and well-structured test cases and plans
- Estimate, prioritize, plan, and coordinate testing activities
- Design, develop, and execute automation scripts using open source tools
- Find, record, track bugs, and perform thorough documentation
- Carry out detailed regression testing after bugs have been resolved
- Develop and apply testing processes for new and existing products to meet client needs
- Monitor debugging process results
- Investigate the causes of non-conforming software and train users to implement solutions
- Track defect densities and open-defect counts and other quality assurance metrics
- Stay knowledgeable of new testing tools and strategies
- Liaise with internal teams like developers and product managers to identify system requirements
- Perform reviews of automation code
- Mentor and lead team on testing automation
- Partner with business resources, system analyst, designers, and programmers to ensure that quality assurance processes and timelines are incorporated
- Identify resource needs, effectively plan, define test strategy, provide quality assurance estimate, and provide test management and test reporting throughout the testing cycle
- Train employees in inspection, statistical, and problem-solving techniques.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Quality Assurance Engineer Job
If you are looking to work as a quality assurance engineer, the following are typical requirements usually set by most employers that candidates for the position must meet to be considered for an interview:
- Education and Training: To become a QA engineer, you require a bachelor’s degree in Computer science, or engineering or in a related discipline. Experience in writing clear, concise, and comprehensive test plans and cases
- IT Skill: QA Engineers have strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools, and processes
- Communication Skill: Communication is an extremely important skill of a QA engineer. They must possess good verbal and written communication skill which they use in creating meetings and status reports; having the ability to criticize developers without offending
- Knowledge of the product: Having a good understanding of the design of a product will enable the QA engineer to perform a better test on it.
If you are an employer in the process of hiring for the quality assurance engineer position in your company, you can use the sample job description in this post in making a suitable one for your firm.
Your chances of attracting the best QA engineers to your offer is greater by publishing a detailed description of the role, which you can easily create by using the information and sample in this article.
Individuals aspiring to get into this career will also find this post useful as they will be able to learn so much about the duties and responsibilities they may be expected to perform working as a quality assurance engineer.
Did this post help you to understand what the quality assurance engineer job entails? Please, take a few minutes to tell us what you think about this post in the box below. You may also share your job description if you work as an engineer responsible for quality assurance in your company.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.