This post provides in-depth information on the job description of a project assistant, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
What Does a Project Assistant Do?
A project assistant is a person whose role is to provide support and create balance in the time and scope of executing projects under the direct supervision of the project director in an establishment.
The job description of the project assistant is to ‘cover-up’ for the director by seeing to it that all aspects of a project are dully attended to and completed at the right time, regardless of challenges that may be encountered.
He/she will carry out administrative duties by collecting data, sorting, filing and sending out project files to the right personnel, workers, and stakeholders.
As a coordinator, he/she is responsible for supervising projects in progress and ensures that all issues related to the projects are clarified and completed to avoid confusion and interruption during execution of projects.
He/she takes records of all project items, and sees to it that they are adequately delivered to the various departments as directed by the project director.
As the supporting system of the director, project assistants are in charge of logistics related to work.
They make arrangements for meetings, presentations, seminars and trainings being organized and call the attention of the director to them where and when they are needed.
As a record keeper, he/she attends meetings with the director and pays apt attention throughout to get details of items discussed at the meeting and run them by the director when needed.
He/she will evaluate the nature and condition of projects and make useful suggestions to the director on the best practices and strategies to apply in project execution.
As a guide to the director, they keep track of all activities, and ensure that they constantly remind and intimate the director of what needs to be done even when they have forgotten about it, in order to meet up with deadlines.
While the project assistant will constantly seeks advice and direction from the director, he/she has the knowledge and skills to work on their own independently in the absence of the director.
Project Assistant Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities usually carried out by project assistants are shown in the job description example given below:
- Write letters and send them to appropriate bodies, and receive incoming mails
- Create specific strategies for easier and effective execution of projects
- Maintain contacts with potential stakeholders who may be interested in investing in projects
- Supervise tasks assigned to project workers as instructed by the director
- Supervise project workers and ensure that they stick to project specification and guidelines
- Keep records of all information related to project for documentation, clarification and presentation to management
- Draft project proposal ideas and present them to the director with convincing proof for approval
- Intermediate between the director and other workers to prevent agitations that may hinder the smooth flow of project execution
- Draft project budget on a monthly basis and ensure that it meets all necessary protocols
Project Assistant Job Description for Resume
The work history section of the resume for the project assistant position can be made using the sample job description given above.
Project Assistant Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
The skills, knowledge and abilities usually required by employers to be considered for the position of project assistant consist of the following:
- Excellent skills with Microsoft Word Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Ability to manage time effectively.