This post provides detailed information on the order picker job description, including key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired for the order picker role.
What Does an Order Picker Do?
Order pickers work in production and warehouse facilities where they pick materials and deliver them to loading dock.
The order picker job description entails picking, wrapping, and moving products to fill individual customer order.
In performing their duties, order pickers prepare container and boxes which are used in packing large volume of goods.
They keep picking equipment and containers clean, ensuring they fit the products being delivered.
Their role also involves assembling various types of products according to the quantity specified by clients.
Order pickers usually maintain accurate inventory by recording incoming items in the inventory and conducting periodic itemization of stock.
They pack and repack orders in accordance with weighing instructions, and also read material orders and comply with verbal instructions for work assignments.
As part of their responsibilities, order pickers move products and materials manually or by means of material handling equipment.
They perform physical activities such as loading, unloading, and sorting of goods at storage/distribution centers.
They also wrap, stack, and attach labels to products.
Order pickers, as part of their duties organize and maintain a tidy work area; complete and verify an order before placing them on conveyors or other loading platform.
Their work description also involves operating forklifts in storing or unloading shipments, as well as performing picking tasks in a timely manner, keeping to safety guidelines.
In fulfilling their role, order pickers ensure compliance with OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) standards, and adhere to established government laws and company policies/practices.
They also inspect inbound and outbound shipments to ensure they are free of damage, as well as assess inventory levels to determine the need for stock replenishment.
Operating automated tools such as RF scanner, which are used in picking accurate orders is also a description of order pickers’ duties.
To get into the order picker career requires at least a high school diploma. Also, to succeed on the job, some of qualities to have include physical strength, stamina, and attention to details.
Order Picker Job Description Example/Template
Order pickers perform various functions in a warehouse setting where they ensure customer orders are prepared and delivered promptly.
The job description example below shows the major tasks, duties, and responsibilities order pickers are commonly assigned in most companies:
- Fill and complete customer orders in containers and shipping boxes
- Perform quality checks to identify and replace damaged materials
- Label or mark containers with identifying information such as client name and address
- Shrink wrap products and material orders prior to loading on trucks
- Operate RF scanners in order to accurately fill orders and effectively manage inventory
- Monitor inventory levels to determine need for stock replacement
- Fill customer order according to size, color, quantity, and quality specifications
- Maintain order picking equipment and facilitate repairs in case of a damage
- Adhere to health and safety policies when performing picking assignments
- Carry out loading and unloading of material orders and shipment
- Pull inventory from racks either manually or using automated equipment and hand-held devices
- Complete orders and place filled boxes on conveyor belts for sealing and labelling
- Weigh individual packages prior to delivery to ensure they meet weight specifications
- Prepare prepaid labels and arrange payment for third-party shipping company
- Maintain proper record of shipped packages using computer programs.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Order Picker Job
If you are looking to apply for the order picker job, here are typical requirements you may need to meet to qualify for the role by most employers:
- Education and Training: The order picker job does not have specific educational requirements. With at least a high school diploma, you can secure an order picker job. Employers usually provide on-the-job training, but experience using forklifts and pallet jacks increases chances of getting the job
- Physical Strength: Order pickers are able to lift and move heavy boxes/containers during loading
- Stamina: They are able to withstand long hours of rigorous work while standing or moving
- Attention to details: They are adept at filling customers’ orders according to given specifications. They ensure selected materials are of specified type, quantity, and quality.
If you are an employer or hr manager looking to hire for the order picker job in your company, you can quickly make a good job description for the role by utilizing the sample copy given in this post.
With the information in this post, you are sure to be able to create a detailed work description that can attract the best order pickers to your company.
Also, if you are a job seeker interested in the order picker job, this post helps you to learn deep facts about the career and the kind of duties and responsibilities you may be assigned when employed.