This post provides exhaustive information on the nursing home housekeeper job description, to help you learn what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the nursing home housekeeper work description.
It also presents the major requirements candidates need to fulfill to be hired for the nursing home housekeeper role, as well as the estimated salary they may earn.
What Does a Nursing Home Housekeeper Do?
The nursing home housekeeper job descriptionis involves providing excellent care to patients, fellow employees, family members, and the patients’ families.
It also entails maintaining and operate the nursing home or the assisted living.
This employee ensures that all equipment is in its proper place and working condition.
As a nursing home housekeeper, you can arrange transportation services for patients when they need to see a doctor, attend family events, or just go out on a date with their spouse.
It is part of the duty of the nursing home housekeeper to arrange meals for the patients.
Working with other caregivers and making sure that there is a proper order in the facility is among their tasks.
He/she has a duty to make sure the nursing home is clean and free from pests.
They must also manage records and care for patients’ personal property such as car keys, eyeglasses, pictures, etc.
The nursing home housekeeper job description ensures that patients’ rooms are clean and tidy.
The nursing home housekeeper must also keep track of patients’ personal effects such as eyeglasses, photographs, and compact discs, and anything else the patient may want to take with them.
This employee can also get involved in activities in the community of the nursing home or any other organization that serves its residents by joining in their annual fundraisers, sporting events, and recreational gatherings.
More on Nursing Home Housekeeper Job Description
Another duty of the nursing home housekeeper is to arrange activities and programs for the patients.
He/she is also responsible for taking care of all incoming and outgoing mail of the facility.
They are also supposed to perform general clerical functions and maintain current records on nursing home residents and staff with copy of medical charts, prescriptions, physicians’ orders etc. on hand at all times.
The nursing home housekeeper must also ensure that there is no abuse or neglect in the facility.
They are responsible for providing excellent care to patients, fellow employees, family members, and the patients’ families.
Nursing Home Housekeeper Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The nursing home housekeeper job description entails the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Organizes and maintains the nursing home or assisted living facility in a clean, orderly, and comfortable environment
- Prepares medications and meals for the patients according to their diet
- Assists the physician in providing care and treatment to the patients and ensures that they are properly cared for
- Assists other staff members in providing care as needed during off-duty hours
- Keeps records of all incoming/outgoing mail in a timely manner
- Maintains records of all medical charts, prescriptions, physicians orders on hand at all times
- Maintains current records on nursing home residents and staff with copy of medical charts, prescriptions, physicians orders etc. on hand at all times
- Assists staff in providing care as needed during off-duty hours
- Conducts meetings to review services and patient care
- Provides information needed by family members or other individuals familiar with residents’ needs and desires
- Recommends changes to improve, upgrade, or update living arrangements
- Supervises housekeeping staff, helps with the planning of housekeeping procedures and activities
- Prepares reports on the nursing home’s program activities and progress in accordance with regulations
- Performs medical-related clerical duties as requested by physicians or other qualified health care professionals (nurses, physical therapists)
- Monitors attendance for all shifts and maintains accurate records of work hours for payroll purposes in accordance with company policies/procedures.
Nursing Home Housekeeper Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume or CV as someone who has worked before as a nursing home housekeeper, or are presently working in that role, you can create an effective Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the sample nursing home housekeeper job description above.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities from the sample nursing home housekeeper job description in the Professional experience part of your resume to show to recruiters/employers that you have been effective performing the nursing home housekeeper job.
This piece of information can greatly enhance your chances of being hired for the new job, especially if having some work experience as a nursing home housekeeper is important for the new position.
Nursing Home Housekeeper Requirements: Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills for Career Success
If you are seeking the nursing home housekeeper position, here are major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired:
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent and some experience in the health care field
- At least three years of experience in nursing home housekeeping, an abled bodied person can also apply for this position if they complete training programs and obtain certification from the appropriate state board of licensing
- Strong understanding of English and ability to follow instructions
- Must also be eligible for state certification or licensure
- The nursing home housekeeper will also have to have a pleasing personality and friendly, courteous manner
- Must also have basic computer skills and the ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Should be willing to travel between locations if needed by the company, such as from medical facilities to different homes and offices
- Must know how to use a computer and be familiar with medical terminology and policies
- Must also be able to work at night as well as on weekends if necessary according to the contract of employment
- Willingness to help patients who are suffering and unable to attend to their daily activities, like eating, bathing, toileting, etc.
- Must be able to lift heavy items not exceeding 50 pounds, such as mattresses, walkers, wheelchairs, etc.
Nursing Home Housekeeper Salary
According to salary.com, the average hourly income for a housekeeper in the United States is $13 as of April 26, 2022; however the range is usually between $12 and $15.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the nursing home housekeeper career; they can learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities they perform.
It is also helpful to recruiters/employers in writing a detailed job description for use in hiring for the vacant nursing home housekeeper role in their organizations.