The software engineer salary in New Jersey is $103,669 yearly.
This post presents complete information on the salary of a software engineer in the State of New Jersey, including the cities and companies that pay the highest salaries in New Jersey to help you make the best decision about working and living in the State.
Please, read on:
New Jersey is one of the North East States where software engineers are enjoying a boom.
Software engineers in New Jersey get $103,669 as yearly salary, with $3,000 as bonus.
The State pays the same as the national average, and with the high cost of living of 118.2%, it will be an uphill task for a beginner software engineer to have good savings in the State of New Jersey.
Software Engineer Salary across New Jersey Cities
Three cities stand out in the state of New Jersey as potential high earning cities; Elizabeth beats the state average by 2.0% and Passaic with 11.2%.
The difference between the first highest paying city Passaic and the last New Brunswick is 18%.
Top 10 Paying Cities for Software Engineers in the State of New Jersey
Some cities in the state of New Jersey pay software engineers higher than others.
The table below shows the top 10 cities that pay software engineers high in the state of New Jersey:
|Yearly Salary ($)
Software Engineer Salary Based on Skills in the State of New Jersey
A good set of the much needed skills will stand a software engineer in New Jersey out.
Listed below are the top skills a software engineer needs to have to earn good salary in New Jersey:
- Scala skilled software engineers in New Jersey earn 24.30% as add on to their salaries, which is $25,192 yearly add on.
- Os. Kernels skilled software engineers in New Jersey earn 17.55% as add on salary which translates to a yearly add on of $18,194.
- Big Data skilled software engineers in New Jersey earn 17.30% as yearly add on which translate to a yearly salary add on of $17,934.
- Microservices skilled software engineers in New Jersey earn an add-on of 16.13%, which is $16,722 to yearly salary.
- Machine Learning skilled software engineers in New Jersey earn 11.71% as add on, which translates to $12,139 yearly.
- Data Structures skilled engineers in New Jersey earn 10.99% as add on, which translates to $11,393 yearly.
Software Engineer Salary Based on Experience in the State of New Jersey
The listed years of work experience below shows how the State of New Jersey software engineers earn:
- Below 1 year in New Jersey as software engineer earns $95,528 yearly.
- 1-2 years as a software engineer in New Jersey earns a yearly salary of $98,146.
- 3- 5 years on the job as a software engineer in New Jersey earns $100,000.
- 6-9 years as a software engineer in New Jersey earns a yearly salary of $112,259.
- 10 years and above in New Jersey as a software engineer earns $128.611 yearly.
10 Highest Paying Companies for Software Engineers in the State of New Jersey
The table below shows the companies paying software engineers the highest salaries in the State of New Jersey:
|Yearly Salary ($)
More Benefits for Software Engineers in the State of New Jersey
Salary is not the only benefit that software engineers in New Jersey get. They also get other benefits that come with the job.
Here are some of the benefits New Jersey software engineers also get:
- Stock options. Software engineers in the State of New Jersey are given stock options, which are converted into cash in the form of dividends.
- Visa sponsorship. Software engineers in New Jersey are helped by the companies they work for in getting visas to attend seminars, forums, and symposia outside the country. It’s a benefit they enjoy when the need arises.
- Referral program. New Jersey software engineers get benefits from doing referrals of software applications and directing people to where such applications are online.
- Commuter assistance. Getting to work can sometimes be hectic for the software engineer in New Jersey; engineers are given commuter assistance to help them get to and from work.
- Food provided. Getting food and launch breaks can be a tasking affair for the software engineer in the State of New Jersey, most especially when it’s testing time. It becomes difficult to go out on breaks, so the company provides food for them in such situation.
What Related Job Titles to Software Engineers Earn in the State of New Jersey
Here are related jobs to software engineers in the State of New Jersey and the salaries they make:
- Back end developer in New Jersey earns a yearly salary of $97,889.
- Application developer in New Jersey earns a yearly salary of $94,604.
- Full stack developer in New Jersey earns a yearly salary of $91,494.
- Developer in New Jersey earns a yearly salary of $84,598.
- Front end developer in New jersey earns $78,052 yearly.
Software Engineer Job and Salary Outlook in the State of New Jersey
Software engineers in the State of New Jersey earn high and they rank amongst the top earners in the Country.
The State pays software engineers the same as the National average.
Due to its location (North East) the possibility of getting a positive wage increase is difficult because the difference between the top earning cities is a mere 18%.
The cost of living, which is 118.2%, will be the most considerable option to think of when making a choice for New Jersey to work as a software engineer.
How to Increase your Salary as a Software Engineer in the State of New Jersey
Listed below are some of the ways a software engineer in the State of New Jersey can increase their salary:
- Relocate. There are cities that pay high salaries to software engineers in the State of New Jersey, as shown above.
Therefore, moving from your present location to one of these cities can increase your chances of a higher pay.
- Get a good education. Education is the most important of all the needs on how to increase your salary in the State of New Jersey.
Get a good and relevant degree in a relevant field and boost your chances of getting an increase in salary.
- Get a set of good skills. To earn a high salary in New Jersey as a software engineer, you need to get the high-in-demand skills. See above for the high paying software engineering skills in the State of New Jersey.
- Work for high paying companies. Some companies in New Jersey pay more salaries to software engineers than others.
Therefore, software engineers will greatly enhance their chances of getting higher pay by working for one of the listed companies above.
More Career Opportunities for Software Engineers in the State of New Jersey
Software engineers in New Jersey can explore other career opportunities applying their skills and experience.
Here are other career opportunities you can get into with your software engineering training, skills, and experience, with their salaries:
- Nano systems engineers in New Jersey earn $117,000 yearly.
- Aero engineers in New Jersey earn $114,000 yearly.
- Statistician engineers in New Jersey earn $112,000 yearly.
- Computer systems analysts in New Jersey earn $108,000 yearly.
The North East is noted as a trail blazing region in the U.S. for software engineers and New Jersey is part of the region.
New Jersey software engineers are amongst the top 20 earners across the U.S. However, getting a job and salary improvement in the State can be difficult as the top paying cities in the State only have a differential of 18%.
With the high cost of living, 118.2%, one can only conclude that without education, skill, and a number of years of experience working as a software engineer, it may be difficult breaking even in the State as a software engineer.