Logistics Consultant Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post discusses the job description of a logistics consultant in detail. It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that usually define the logistics consultant work description in most organizations.
This page also provides the major requirements, including skills, education, and experience that applicants for the logistics consultant position are commonly expected to meet to be hired.
Please, read on to learn about the logistics consultant career:
What Does a Logistics Consultant Do?
Logistics consultants are individuals with broad supply chain expertise and industry knowledge who are responsible for coordinating and directing distribution, transportation, and warehouse activities for a company, manufacturer, or its clients.
The primary responsibility in a logistics consultant job description is to analyze and solve supply-chain operation problems for the organization that he/she works for or its clients.
Logistics consultants work with manufacturing organizations, transportation companies, and logistics companies; the Air Force, consulting, and automobile companies, etc.
They are responsible for evaluating the supply chain operations of an organization; scrutinizing every stage of the logistics process, including conducting risk assessment, business process analysis, and output data analysis.
Findings from the analysis is utilized to advise clients on ways to improve packaging, order-processing, and quality-control procedures so that operations run more smoothly.
Logistics consultants are also responsible for supervising, coaching, and training warehouse workforce via meetings/workshops to share company specific strategies for streamlining operations.
They are also responsible for developing efficient solutions to improve on procedures, ranging from storage to quality control measures.
The logistics consultant work description also involves providing hands-on support to implement changes in supply chain procedures.
It may also involve performing direct management tasks, such as directing, optimizing, and coordinating full order cycle; coordinating shipments, handling products with regulated guidelines, and keeping track of quality, quantity, and stock levels; delivery times, transport costs, and efficiency.
It may also entail planning routes and processing shipments in line with standards.
Logistics consultants may also be responsible for computing shipping and import and export rates, and creating a long term plan to manage logistics, warehouse, and transportation and customer services.
They are responsible for resolving customer problems that may arise, solving process problems, and establishing a help channel for logistics problem escalations.
Logistics Consultant Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Logistics consultants perform various functions, which primarily involve directing the planning, storage, and transportation and delivery of goods while ensuring that stock is maintained and moved efficiently.
The tasks logistics consultants are required to handle will vary, depending on the industry they are in.
However, the major tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the logistics consultant are listed in the job description example below:
- Evaluate and monitor supply chain operations of the organization or clients
- Responsible for executing IT measures and tutor others in the use of logistics IT to optimize procedures
- Responsible for the design of warehouse layout, determine inventory levels, and plan equipment to ensure it meets specific requirements
- Aid communication between vendors and customers to achieve mutual satisfaction
- Responsible for planning and tracking the shipment of goods following the customers’ requirements
- Provide report on supply chain activities to Client Management or the relevant unit
- Collaborate with sales persons in managing freight quote process to guarantee that all orders have it applied at the right time
- Handle any arising problems or complaints related to the supply chain process
- Ensure that the organization meets its cost, productivity, accuracy, and timeliness targets
- Maintain metrics and analyze supply chain data to evaluate performance, and implement improvements
- Spot problems and opportunities and take corrective measure that deals with the root of problems
- Ensure that the organization/clients follow laws, regulations, and ISO requirements.
Logistics Consultant Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a resume as someone who has had some work experience as a logistics consultant, it is helpful to include the job or professional experience section in your resume.
In this section, you will be able to highlight the major duties and responsibilities that you have performed as a logistics consultant with your past employer or that you are currently performing on your present job.
This will help the recruiter to see how successful you have been working in the logistics consultant role, which will be a boost to your resume.
You can apply the sample logistics consultant job description above in completing the professional experience section of your resume.
Logistics Consultant Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the logistics consultant job, most recruiters will want you to meet certain specific requirements before you can be granted an interview or hired.
Applicants who meet the requirements are taken to be those who can perform the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the logistics consultant position and stand a chance of getting the job.
Shown below are major requirements anyone seeking the logistics consultant position may be asked to fulfill by most recruiters to advance to the next stage of the hiring process:
- Education: To work as a logistics consultant applicants must possess at least a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, or Industrial Engineering or in a related field of study. But a Master’s degree is often preferred
- Knowledge: Recruiters seek logistics consultants to assess and improve their supply chain processes, so it is important that they have broad knowledge of supply chain in addition to practical experience working with one or more of the following: material handling/flow, warehouse management, and reducing cost and improving operations
- It is also important that applicants for the logistics consultant role have working knowledge of SAP training matrix, cost controlling, lean manufacturing, and Six Sigma
- Certification: Recruiters are interested in individuals with PMP certification and other certifications from professional bodies like APICS OR CSCMP. It is not an entry requirement but a plus to the individual, because it helps to strengthen supply chain performance
- Computer skills: Logistics consultants must have computer knowledge, especially with Microsoft Office tools, Database tools (such as Excel or SQL), and working knowledge of logistics software (WMS, MES, ERP, FreightPOP, ePROMIS, and ASCTrac), and business process management software (such as Odoo, Microsoft Dynamics, or NetSuite)
- Self-starter: Applicants must be self motivated individuals with energy and drive, able to work with little supervision and track multiple processes
- Problem-solving skills: It is important that applicants can spot problems and generate rational and logical solution to the problems
- Critical thinking skills: Logistics consultants are responsible for analyzing problem areas in a company’s operations, it is important they have the mental capacity to generate solutions, analyze options, and devise a concrete plan that takes into account multiple factors, including risk, existing resources, and cost of implementation
- Communication and interpersonal skills: They have to interact with multiple individuals, including management, employees, and suppliers, and customers. So, it is important that they have exceptional verbal and written communication skills to convey information to others
- Organizational and coordination abilities: The logistics consultant is responsible for several processes in a fast-paced environment, so they must have the ability to harmonize and monitor several at the same time.
To hire the right logistics consultant for your organization if you are a recruiter or HR manager, you need to make and publish a full description of the job to guide interested persons with their applications.
This post provides detailed information on duties, skills, responsibilities, and requirements of a logistics consultant to help you make effective description of the position to attract and hire the most resourceful candidate for the job.
This article is also a detailed and thorough guide for those desirous of the logistics consultant career to increase their knowledge of the duties and responsibilities the role entails.
Did this article help you learn about what logistics consultants do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You can also share your job description if you work as a logistics consultant.