This post provides detailed information on the interaction designer job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the interaction designer role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does an Interaction Designer Do?
An interaction designer is responsible for the design of interactive products. He/she is concerned about the look and feel of the software, for example which pop-up windows do users prefer, how to organize and structure the menus, and how to make the software more appealing and easy to use.
They will also be involved in user research. They need to understand how their users work and what they expect from a product.
The designer will ask users to try out their ideas so that they can improve them further if necessary.
A good interaction developer will come up with innovative ideas different from others’ ideas. As a result, they should have excellent design skills
Interaction designer may also be involved in development. They will take the lead on this part of the job
The interaction designer job description involves interacting with designers from other departments, including UX designers, product managers, and programmers.
It also entails developing a wide variety of digital products for various devices, such as PCs, laptops, and smart phones, as well as interactive web sites.
Interaction designers should have good graphic design skills as their work requires them to create attractive design for their clients’ work.
They have a duty to help the team by suggesting ideas and helping with tasks that need to be completed.
Interaction designers may also be involved in various other job titles, such as user experience designer, graphic designer, and information architect.
Creating a better interactive experience for users is also part of the tasks interaction designers commonly perform.
This includes the creation of websites and mobile applications, as well as online games.
Interaction designers make sure that the product is organized and easy for people to use.
Interaction Designer Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The interaction designer job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Designs an interface for a software application that makes it easy for users to perform specific tasks. For example, an interface designer might create a user’s shopping cart, build a product review section, or develop an interactive security system
- Creates user interfaces for online advertising websites that sell products or services online, such as eBay and Amazon
- Designs the user interface component and technical requirements for websites and programs. For example, a website designer might create the logo design of the product shipping company or monitor client feedback and provide technical support to clients
- Develops software, such as apps for Windows 8.1 or Widows 8 that are interactive and involve the use of touch screen technology
- Designs software (programs), including promotion strategies to increase usage of the program or website by consumers
- Maintains a portfolio that displays the designer’s work and abilities
- Designs and develops apps for smart phones, tablets, and computers, such as laptops
- Examines websites created by others for usability and provides feedback on possible modifications to improve their design
- Creates prototypes of different apps and programs that users can test out early on in the development process to get user feedback before going live with the product.
Interaction Designer Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as an interaction designer or are presently working in that role and are making a resume or CV for a new job, then you can craft a compelling Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the sample interaction designer job description provided above.
You can highlights the duties and responsibilities you have performed or are currently carrying out as a interaction designer in your resume’s Professional Experience by utilizing the above interaction designer job description example.
This will show that you have been successful performing the interaction designer job, which can greatly enhance your chances of being hired for the new position, especially if it requires someone with some interaction designer work experience.
Interaction Designer Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important requirements you may be asked to fulfill to be hired for the interaction designer position:
- They work closely with people and are selective about the projects they work on. In addition, strong ability to communicate effectively with customers and other stakeholders is a skill interaction designers must have
- Good computer and software programming skills. They must be able to use common software application programs, such as Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Excel, in conjunction with work software, such as Access on a desktop or Pixelmator to design simple designs or complex projects
- Interaction designers are required to have math skills that can help them come up with an effective layout of an interface; determine the color layout of a website; or understand how a particular function works within a given software application program
- Creative in producing designs that are best suited for a particular end use or situation. Some examples of end uses include website design, a product’s packaging or advertising, data management in websites and apps, software used by consumers to perform tasks on a computer, video games and apps distributed online, virtual reality applications sold via the app store and so on
- Good communication skills, such as speaking clearly and effectively over the phone, using email or chat, being attentive to details, building effective relationships with clients and other stakeholders, being persuasive when presenting ideas or asking questions
- Understand the process behind application development and website design so they can make effective suggestions to software developers of possible changes or modifications to enhance end product usability or performance..
Must be able to:
- observe and test out different websites, apps, and software programs to know what users will be looking for when they work with the application or software
- analyze user behaviors (such as searching for keywords in a search engine) and interpret data such as clicks, responses, and other information related to the software application or website
- work with a team, communicate effectively when working in a team environment and collaborate with software developers, designers and other stakeholders of the project.
Interaction Designer Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average salary for an interaction designer in the United States is $122,552 per year.
As technology continues to evolve, there are more opportunities for interaction designers to design the latest and greatest applications and websites that will be used by millions of consumers.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the interaction designer career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities interaction designers typically perform.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the interaction designer position in their organization, for use in hiring for the role.