This post provides exhaustive information on the hotel houseman job description, to help you understand the work they do.
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a hotel houseman, to help you understand the work they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the hotel houseman work description.
It also presents the major requirements you will be expected to meet if you are seeking the hotel houseman role.
Please, continue reading:
What Does a Hotel Houseman Do?
The hotel houseman job description entails cleaning hotel rooms and hallways, as well as bathrooms and public spaces.
It also involves cleaning all items, including windows, countertops, bedding, and carpets.
Hotel houseman keeps the equipment, such as vacuums and wood cleaning products in good working order.
They run errands to procure supplies, such as paper towels and toiletries when the supply is running low.
It is the hotel houseman’s role to keep guests happy by being a good listener.
They also serve as a liaison between the hotel and individuals who wish to make reservations or check-in.
Hotel houseman keeps documentation and log sheets on all work orders with dates completed and items, etc. received.
They also remove trash and debris from the halls and rooms that are vacated by guests.
Maintaining the integrity of the guest rooms by making sure that items of value, such as jewelry, clothing, and other valuables, are not deposited in the rooms is a part of their tasks.
They will schedule meetings with guests and provide feedback on status and key issues when necessary.
Housemen are also responsible for meeting and greeting hotel guests as they enter the facility and ensure that linens are clean and ready for guests at all times.
Their job description entails attending to guest queries or issues and maintaining a safe environment by checking locks on doors, and ensuring that rooms are secure before leaving the facilities.
It is the job of a hotel houseman to ensure that any dangerous or potentially dangerous objects do not fall into the hands of children.
So, it is their duty to clean these areas thoroughly.
They will also check all guest rooms for cleanliness and make sure that guest requests are followed promptly.
Hotel Houseman Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The hotel houseman job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Cleaning rooms, hallways, bathroom, windows, and common areas of the hotel
- Dusting furniture and mirrors, especially in public areas, such as lobby and bar areas in relation to guest’s need to have their face visible through mirrors when they are coming into a business or walking around the hotel’s property
- Refilling cleaning chemicals on specific tables that customers have requested that they be cleaned regularly (i.e. fruit and dessert table, etc.)
- Washing the windows and mirrors until they are clear and spotless.
- Changing linens, towels and sheets on timers 7 days a week as required by the hotel’s cleaning schedule
- Changing fabrics on curtains every 3 weeks or so as needed by the hotel’s cleaning schedule
- Making sure that items aren’t left out at check-in time (i.e. keys, hotel identifying cards, etc.)
- Making sure that the cleaning products are in good working order (i.e. vacuums and other cleaning supplies)
- Cleaning bathroom areas such as mirrors and door in the ladies’ room to remove soap scum prior to guest’s arrival
- Making sure that all carpets are clean and spotless prior to guest’s arrival
- Confirming that guest’s room is ready for them when they arrive at the front desk or check-in area, with a smile.
More Hotel Houseman Duties and Responsibilities
- Confirming that guests have been taken care of properly
- Making sure that the area is kept clean and safe for the guests when they are still in the property
- Confirming guest’s satisfaction with their room
- Removing garbage from the property to help prevent germs and odors at all times
- Making sure that all carpet areas are disinfected regularly to ensure that germs and bacteria can be killed on a daily basis.
Hotel Houseman Job Description for Resume
If you have worked previously in the position of a hotel houseman or are currently working in that role and are making a resume or CV for a new job, you can apply the sample hotel houseman job description above in making an effective Professional Experience section for your resume.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities from the above hotel houseman job description in your resume’s Professional Experience section, to show that you have been effective working as a hotel houseman.
This piece of information in your resume can significantly influence the recruiter/employer to grant you an interview or hire you, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires some work experience as a hotel houseman.
Hotel Houseman Job Description Requirements: Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking the hotel houseman job, here are major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired:
- At least a high school diploma
- Be licensed to drive a car in order to go out on deliveries and purchases occasionally
- Have the ability to work in any weather, even in the rain or snow when necessary, as well as keep his/her cool during emergencies when guests are having trouble with their rooms (i.e. plumbing issues or lighting)
- Possess a valid driver’s license and have a reliable means of transportation (i.e. car) since they may need to make deliveries, depending on distance from facility they work at
- Must be able to lift heavy objects (i.e. a large sofa) if necessary and put them in the room if requested
- Possess ability to make notes in written form as well as verbally to ensure that all guests are happy with their room and hotel services
- Must be able to work outside for long hours in order to clean areas needed before guests arrive at the property
- Extremely neat and organized since guests will want their rooms to be spotless after a long day at work
- Be mature enough to be able to handle any types of problems that may arise with guests such as complaints (about items not working properly, dirty carpets, etc.).
Hotel Houseman Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average compensation for a houseman in the United States is $30,308 per year.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the hotel houseman career; they can boost their knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of the role from this page.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers looking to find and hire the best candidates for the vacant hotel houseman position in their companies.
They can apply the sample hotel houseman job description on this page in making one for their companies for use in their hiring process.