Freelance Translator Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
What Does a Freelance Translator Do?
Freelance translators generally convert written materials from one language into another whilst making sure that the translated version gives the same meaning as the original.
Generally, the target language is the translator’s mother tongue.
A freelance translator generally needs an excellent command of two or more languages. The popularly demanded ones are the official languages of the United Nations (UN) and the European Union (EU) which are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish
The job description of a translator might include trans-creating; this is a mix of copywriting, translation, and localization, where the text is linguistically and culturally adapted to suit the reader.
It should be noted that they can translate a variety of content including technical documents, legal, scientific, literary, educational and commercial documents.
Most freelance translators work from home, directly with clients, or for translation agencies, although other organizations may employ in-house translators.
Translators must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to relate with people from different nationalities to be successful in their careers.
They must also be proficient in software and applications used in translation.
In addition, they must possess a high level of organization and discipline.
The work description of a freelance translator may require him/her to specialize in a particular industry in which he/she has relevant experience or knowledge, such as finance, business, medicine, or the arts.
He/she works on a freelance basis or pursues employment with a government, educational, or commercial organization.
Freelance Translators Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Freelance translators perform various functions in ensuring correct and effective conversion of written documents from one language to another.
Heighted below are important tasks, duties, and responsibilities that typically make up most freelance translators job description:
- Listen or read through the material in one language
- Understand the context and meaning the material
- Convert the material into the second language while preserving the original meaning
- Translate video, online, and television media by providing subtitles
- Collaborate with subject matter experts and other colleagues to understand technical texts
- Translate material accurately
- Use online translation tools for additional assistance with translation
- Provide clients with quotes based on complexity level and project length
- Follow up with clients to ensure understanding and satisfaction
- Use highly specialized translation software to encourage efficiency and consistency
- Follow industry quality standards established by the Association of Translation Companies
- Translate different documents, including literary, technical, scientific, legal, research, educational, and commercial materials.
Freelance Translator Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a freelance translator, you will need to be able to convince recruiters that you can achieve the objectives, obligations, and purpose of the role by possessing certain qualities, qualifications, and experience.
Shown below are major requirements you may be asked to fulfill by employers to be considered for the freelance translator job:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in International Languages, as well as fluency in at least two languages
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Possess great understanding of grammar
- Possess strong knowledge of specific subjects
- Ability to have interpersonal communication
- Accuracy in translation is a must
- Be able to pay attention to details
- Be proficient in software tools related to tasks at hand
- Must be self-motivated
- Should have the ability to meet deadlines and be able to work under pressure
- Ability to compile information into terminology and glossaries before deadlines
- Be able to relay the tone and style of the original language
- Render spoken messages clearly, accurately, and quickly
- Possess the ability to concentrate while others are moving or speaking around them
- Possess general business skills to manage careers and finance successfully
- Must be sensitive to cultural expectations and differences amongst their clients
- Sign language translators must be able to do quick hand, arm, and finger movements
- Ability to listen carefully when interpreting for audiences to ensure they hear and interpret correctly
- Outstanding ability to clearly speak in the languages being translated from and to.
If you are an employer needing to hire the best freelance translator around, the sample job description provided in this post will be useful to you in effectively describing the vacant position in your organization.
With a good description of the job, prospective candidates will be able to know the duties and responsibilities of the freelance translator in your organization and to assess themselves whether they could effectively perform the role.
This will enable the recruiter to get the best candidates for the job.
This post is also useful to individuals interested in becoming a translator; they will be able to learn about what freelance translators do and how to achieve success in the career.
Did this post help increase your knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of freelance translators? Please, make a comment in the box below. You can also share your job description if you work as a translator.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.