This post provides detailed information on the computer field service technician job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the computer field service technician role.
What Does a Computer Field Service Technician Do?
Computer field service technicians are responsible for providing technical services on PC and laptop computers, enterprise-level servers, storage drives and sub-systems, networking devices, and computer and telecommunications systems at clients’ locations.
Their job descriptions entail providing support to various kinds of mass storage, vendor server, desktop, networking, and core legacy devices.
To be effective in performing their roles, computer field service technicians must have strong knowledge of different desktop applications and Microsoft operating systems.
Field service technicians’ responsibilities include taking calls and providing site specific support (Legacy and DTS), as well as providing hardware, software, and networking support for laptops, desktops, and servers.
They also change, add, move, and install equipment as may be required.
Their duties also include preparing and presenting incident/performance reports to the customer and to the service delivery manager.
It is also part of the work description of the computer field service technician to test and certify networks, PCs, client approved applications, and servers before they are used to ensure optimum performance.
He/she is also responsible for performing advanced troubleshooting on hardware and software problems, including legacy systems, DTS, and interconnectivity issues.
The computer technician’s job description also entails Installation and maintenance of mainframe, enterprise servers, and high-end networking and complex product configurations; telecommunications equipment, servers, peripherals, and drives; high-end document processing equipment, PCs, and storage-subsystems and drives.
It is his/her duty to ensure customers are satisfied throughout the service delivery process, including escalating or carrying out proper follow up on presented problem to ensure it is completely resolved to the client’s satisfaction.
To succeed in this career, the computer service technician must display a high degree of professionalism in every area, including dressing, demeanor, and action.
Computer Field Service Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Computer technicians perform various daily functions in ensuring effective maintenance of their clients’ PCs and peripheral devices.
The work of a computer field service technician is characterized by the duties, tasks, and responsibilities provided in the job description example below:
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of personal computers and peripheral devices
- Help clients in troubleshooting problems and guide them to understand IT systems
- Apply helpdesk software to receive and respond to service requests from customers, document problem/resolutions, and to track time spent on resolving problems
- Keep record of problem resolution procedures and equipment inventory
- Adhere to established computer and network policies and procedures to ensure the security and health of systems; give feedback to help in continuously developing policies and procedures that meet current reality
- Keep and utilize necessary PC images
- Attend meetings regularly to be conversant with latest policies and procedures and to discuss issues of work
- Ensure professional attitude and appearance always
- Ensure any observed threat to the computer/network environment is reported promptly to senior technical staff and management
- In conjunction with senior staff, work with software vendors, local telephone providers, and other outside vendors to purchase new equipment, troubleshoot and resolve problems as may be needed
- Carry out research independently and in collaboration with senior staff to continually remain updated on changes in technology, in accordance with the policies and procedures of the company.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Computer Field Service Technician
To hire suitably qualified individuals for the computer field service technician role, employers commonly set certain requirements for interested applicants to meet.
Below are major requirements, including skills, qualities, and educational qualifications you may need to meet to be considered for employment as a computer field service technician by most recruiters:
- Strong knowledge and skills in performing diagnostic, troubleshooting, and repairs of computer software, hardware, and peripheral devices
- Exceptional customer service skills to be able to communicate effectively with a cross section of people, including management, clients or end users, and the technical community; ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people in a remote environment
- Possess intermediate level of troubleshooting skills to discover root cause of IT issues, application error, basic connectivity, etc.
- Strong ability to work independently and to follow instructions from different people
- Strong prioritization skills to be able to handle multiple tasks or projects simultaneously
- Strong ability to work in a team setting and to share necessary information with individuals and groups (both technical and non-technical)
- Intermediate level knowledge of handling and preventing threat to customers’ systems, including computer viruses, malware, and other threat
- Basic knowledge and understanding of networking, including cabling, wireless connectivity, connections to routers and switches, and its application; as well as knowledge of mainframe emulator programs
- Possess valid driver’s license and ability to carry equipment.
The information shared in this post, including the sample job description and the duties and responsibilities of computer field service technicians is useful to employers needing to write a good description of the role for use in recruiting capable hands for the position.
This article is also helpful to individuals looking to start a career in the computer repair industry; they will learn all they need to know about the duties of computer field service technicians.