Accounts Payable Manager Job Description Example
Who is an Accounts Payable Manager?
An accounts payable manager is a managerial staff of a company whose responsibility is to supervise all the bills and invoices that the organization must have to pay.
His/her job description entails creating and assessing the general ledger update, which connects their dealers, and also ensuring that their payments are timely.
He/she also supervises all staff in the accounts payable department and reports to the superior, such as the controller.
The manager must ensure that all the procedures and functions of his/her department agree with the management standard and objectives.
The sensitivity of his/her role entails that the accounts payable manager would need to be very cautious in carrying out his work description, because any little error could lead to the company loosing huge amount of money.
It is essential that he/she has good knowledge of basic accounting, mathematics, and computer skills.
The manager should also be someone that is trustworthy, efficient, and experienced since he/she plays vital roles in the daily transactions of the company’s business.
The competence of the accounts payable manager is directly seen on the company’s cash flow, credit rating, and operational costs.
This confirms the fact that any progress in this department will instantly have a lot of impact on the company’s profit generally.
Accounts Payable Manager Job Description Example
Below is the job description usually carried out by personnel occupying the post of manager in an accounts payable department of a company, it shows the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities such individuals performs on the job daily.
- Ensure accuracy, timeliness, and efficiency in job assignments and procedures to meet up with operational needs
- Creation of main policies and procedures for account payable unit
- Supervise the receipt of invoices, verification, record of transaction, and direct expense
- Examine all vouchers posted and direct them into accounts payable system for accuracy before check is signed
- Review all fixed asset expenditures and update fixed asset accounting records
- Resolve all payments or billing issues with vendors
- Ensure that the modified status information in the project accounting software corresponds with employee information, and are up to date
- Coordinate and set up processes, as well as research technical accounts payable issues
- Ensure the accuracy of financial statements; post information at the end of every month; and also handle monthly closing of financial records
- Supervise a team of accountants to ensure they are following the laid down procedures
- Serve as link between the organization and government to provide information required when there is need for such information
- Conduct interview, hire, train, and evaluate every member of the department to boost performance and development
- Make available accounting records to operational staff; provide solution to financial questions/concerns to meet up the needs of the business
- Provide source accounting record for audit request
- Create and implement goals, objectives, standards, and procedures for accounts payable unit, together with departmental management personnel
- Stay current on accounts payable trends, and also focus on how industry trends will influence and support company’s policy
- Maintain accurate information for historical purposes.
Accounts Payable Manager Resume Preparation
Certain sections of a resume for the post of accounts payable manager can be prepared by applying information stated in the sample job description given above.
The duties, tasks, and responsibilities of the manager in charge of accounts payable shared in the above work description can be conveniently applied in writing the job experience aspect of the resume, which serves as a proof of the owner’s ability to do the job effectively.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Accounts Payable Manager Job
To succeed in this field, accounts payable managers should have the following skills, knowledge, and abilities, which most employers will require when considering applicants for the position:
- Must possess very strong mathematical and accounting skills
- Possess in-depth knowledge of the principles and measures of financial record keeping
- Must be an outstanding Microsoft Excel user and also possess administrative skills
- Being able to read, understand, and interpret the principles, rules, and procedures as it regards accounts payable functions
- Ability to plan, direct, and review the work of subordinate accounts payable workers in the company
- Good analytical proficiency, accurate, swift, and attentiveness when dealing with administrative functions
- Ability to present excellent and courteous customer service, create, and maintain effective working relationship with other members of the department
- Possess strong skills in the act of communicating, both verbally and in writing
- Possess high integrity, creativity, and good interpersonal ability
- Ability to compute tax related matters.
- Acquiring of Bachelor in Accounting from a college or university is necessary, Masters degree will be an added advantage
- Chartered Accountant with up to date participation at seminars
- Certificate courses in computer packages and accounting software
- A good number of years of working experience.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.