This post provides a huge list of sample interview questions for mechanical engineers, with suggested answers, to help you to effectively prepare for the interview.
When preparing for a mechanical engineering job interview, you can improve your chances of passing it by getting familiar with likely questions to be asked and practicing your response to them before the interview day.
This will help build your knowledge about your job and confidence in the way you answer the questions that will be put to you, increasing your chances of being hired for the mechanical engineering position you are applying for.
Please, read on:
What do Interviewers look for in a Mechanical Engineer?
The interviewer for a mechanical engineering position typically looks for candidates who have a solid skill set in solving problems and those with the ability to keep up with fast-paced manufacturing.
They also look for someone who is able to complete tasks with accuracy, as well as those who are detail oriented.
10 Most Common Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions and Answers
Here are common questions you might be asked in a job interview for mechanical engineer position, with answers:
- How do you think machines will change in the future?
According to the future predictions, machines will all be autonomous, intelligent and multi-purpose.
2. Is 3D scanning technology accurate enough for engineers to use today?
To use 3D scanning technology, you need to have an object of a predetermined shape if using these scanners. Scanners are able to create many three-dimensional objects of different shapes.
For example, they can scan a human body and create a 3D representation of their body.
3. Why did you choose to become an engineer and not another profession like doctor or teacher?
I am not sure of the reason why I chose to be an engineer and not a doctor or teacher. But what I do know is that being an engineer has been a great choice for me.
4. How long does it take for big engineering firms to design new products?
It will take a long time for a big engineering firm to complete a design, because they have many clients and ongoing projects.
5. What do you think is the most challenging aspect of being an engineer?
The most challenging aspect of being an engineer is handling all the pressure that exists in this profession. A lot of things can go wrong and mistakes happen more than we might like.
6. How do you solve problems and avoid failure?
A lot of engineers fail because they aren’t able to handle pressure well. They panic, think irrationally and don’t follow the proper procedure for solving a problem or dilemma.
The best way to solve a problem is by thinking it through carefully and taking things one step at a time.
More Common Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions and Answers
7. What do you think are the most important characteristics or skills required of an engineer?
I believe that engineers need to be creative because no two projects are ever the same. Every time they work on a project it’s different and requires new steps.
In addition, engineers should also be able to work well with others and perform physical tasks related to the job.
8. How do you test a new product?
In order to test a new product, an engineer must know how the product was made in the first place.
They have experience on how this particular product works and they can figure out any issues by testing the product.
9. How have your characteristics enabled you to be successful in previous jobs?
In previous jobs, my best characteristics and qualities enabled me to be successful in many ways.
First, I am able to work well with others and contribute to a team environment. Second, I pay attention to detail and look out for errors that might affect the quality of a product or service.
Finally, I have great problem solving skills.
10. What are your strengths? What are you good at?
I believe that my greatest strength is being able to work with others easily. I am also very good at paying attention to detail and finding ways to solve complex problems without losing focus.
More Sample Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions
Here are additional samples of interview questions for mechanical engineer position that you can use in your preparation for an interview:
Sample Behavioral Interview Questions for Mechanical Engineers
- Tell me about your academic studies.
- What is your biggest weakness?
- Give an example of how you’ve helped a team member who was struggling with their responsibilities.
- Why were you interested in this position?
- Describe to me what it’s like working as a mechanical engineer.
Sample Case Interview Questions for Mechanical Engineers
- What are 3 ways to solve an engineering problem?
- How would you design a bridge in your hometown?
- Define the importance of work safety.
- What is an engineering analysis?
- When should you hire someone just out of college for entry level position instead of hiring someone with more experience in order to save on costs?
Sample Competency Interview Questions for Mechanical Engineer
1. What part of your work do you find most rewarding?
2. Tell me about a time when you had to use flexible thinking in order to get an objective done.
3. What mistakes have you made at work and what did you learn from them?
4. Could you give some examples of the skills and qualities that you possess that would benefit this role?
5. Why should we choose you for the mechanical engineering role?
Sample Problem-solving Interview Questions for Mechanical Engineers
- What is the equation for centripetal acceleration?
- Which of these three tension springs would work best in a kitchen to hold up pots and pans?
- How do you calculate pressure (pascals)?
- What happens when you divide an integral by another integral?
- Is there a unit conversion table that we can look at while solving this problem: 24,000 m x 300 mm/m – 12 m = ??? (length)
Sample Situational Interview Questions for Mechanical Engineers
- Highlight the attributes of a good engineer?
- Have you ever had to do an engineering project that you felt was too hard or not enjoyable?
- If I were your boss, what would impress me about your work ethic the most?
- Describe how well do you deal with change (specific situations where you’ll be asked)
- Why did you apply to our company in particular?
Sample Communication Skills Interview Questions for Mechanical Engineers
- What is best way to communicate to a team member?
- What’s one of the most difficult experiences you’ve ever had?
- How do you feel about moving every few years to another company or city for a new opportunity?
- Do you work well in teams and with others? Why?
- What’s your favorite part about an engineering project?
Sample Interpersonal Skills Interview Questions for Mechanical Engineers
- What are your skills?
- How do you motivate people?
- Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry team member.
- What is the best way for me to provide feedback on my work to you?
- What methods do you use to get your teammates on board with a new task?
Sample Company Culture Interview Questions for Mechanical Engineers
- What is your favorite thing about our company?
- How would you say your personality fits with the company’s culture?
- What are some of the projects you’ve worked on in the past?
- Where do you picture yourself in the next five years?
- Why should we hire you over other candidates who also interviewed for this position today?
Sample Technical Questions for Mechanical Engineers
- What is the shear strength of steel?
- How many pounds does an average man weigh?
- What is a Kelvin (K)?
- A cubic millimeter of water weighs how much in pounds and ounces?
- What does entropy represent mathematically?
Mechanical Engineer Interview Success Tips
When sitting for a mechanical engineer interview, you want to be able to answer the interviewer’s questions as smoothly and confidently as possible; to do that here are some tips to apply:
- You want to bring confidence to the interview. You want to come across as someone who can solve problems and knows what they’re talking about.
To do that, you have to be confident in your knowledge and abilities; you have to be able to back up your points at the interview with relevant examples of the point you are discussing; you have to stay professional during the interview.
- You should research the company properly before the interview. Read over their website, and know what they do. Show that you care enough about them to want to learn more about them.
The interviewer will appreciate this show of interest in their company.
- Make sure you ask your questions at the end of the interview. Being prepared with your own questions shows you’re still interested in learning more about the company after all that was said during the presentation on the company’s history, what they do, and projects that are undertaking.
The interviewer will appreciate this show of interest in continuing to learn about the company after they’ve finished their presentation.
If you’re interviewing for a position in the mechanical engineering industry, then the interview questions on this page should help you to effectively prepare for the interview and shine in your presentation..
Remember to practice with the common interview questions for mechanical engineers before heading for the interview, so that you can be prepared with thoughtful responses.
You may even want to practice answering the questions aloud or with friends beforehand so that when it’s time for your real interview, you’ll feel confident about tackling any question thrown at you.