Sample Interview Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position (with Answers)
When preparing for an account payable clerk job interview, there are questions that are likely to be put to you that you need to prepare for to have a successful outcome.
This post provides a huge collection of account payable clerk sample interview questions to help boost your preparation for the interview and increase your chances of being hired for the account payable clerk position that you desire.
Please, continue reading:
What do Interviewers look for in Account Payable Clerks?
When hiring for the account payable clerk position, the interviewer will be looking for qualities such as: attention to detail, accuracy, timeliness, and good organization skills.
They will also want to make sure that you have a good understanding of the accounting process.
10 Most Common Account Payable Clerk Interview Questions and Answers
Here are some of the most likely interview questions for account payable clerk position you may be asked:
- What are the benefits of being an account payable clerk?
The benefits of being an account payable clerk include:
- Having a job with regular hours and stability
- Receiving paid holidays and vacation days
- Enjoying 401k benefits and other types of insurance
- Receiving opportunities for advancement within the company.
2. What are the main responsibilities of an account payable clerk?
The main responsibility of an account payable clerk is to manage and maintain accounts payable duties. This includes:
- Reconciling supplier statements and entering invoices for payment
- Recording payments and creating disbursement reports
- Preparing checks for signature, ensuring that there is a valid.
3. What are 3 necessary qualities of an account payable clerk?
The three necessary qualities of an account payable clerk are:
- Ability to function well under pressure
- Attention to detail
- The ability to stay organized and keep track of all paperwork.
4. How long does it take for someone with no experience to be proficient in the accounting process?
It usually takes about six months for someone with no experience to be proficient in the accounting process.
However, it is important to note that this may vary depending on the company and the specific position.
5. What is your understanding of double-entry bookkeeping?
Double-entry bookkeeping is a system of accounting that involves recording financial transactions in a journal.
It then posts them to ledger accounts. These are summarized into the income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statements.
6. What is an example of an asset?
Examples of asset include company cars and filing cabinets.
7. What is an example of a liability?
Examples of liability include loans taken out from other companies and money the company owes to suppliers for products or services they have received.
8. What is an example of business income?
Examples of business income include:
- Revenue earned when selling products
- Interest revenue when holding savings in another bank account
- Rent paid by a tenant.
9. What is an example of business expenses?
Examples of business expenses include rent paid on office space and wages paid to employees.
10. Are you comfortable with using computers to enter data?
Entering data into a computer is a common task for an account payable clerk. I am comfortable in my ability to complete the work.
More Sample Account Payable Clerk Interview Questions
Here are more sample interview questions you can apply in your preparation for an account payable clerk interview:
Sample Behavioral Interview Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position
- Tell me about when you went above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy a customer.
- Can you give an example of when you demonstrated leadership?
- Talk about a time when there was conflict at work. How did you feel and what was your response?
- Describe in detail how one of your recent accomplishments/projects came together. What obstacles were overcome or skills used in this accomplishment?
- Give me an example of a time where something didn’t go according to plan on the job. How did that affect the final outcome for both yourself and others involved with the project/work load?
Sample Case Interview Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position
- What is the difference between receivables and payables?
- How much can an account payable clerk save the company in fees, discounts, and interest over five years?
- What are some best practices for balancing accounts payable?
- When does accounting need to be reconciled with accounts payable before payments are made to vendors or customers?
- Explain how purchase orders work.
Sample Competency Interview Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position
1. Can you tell me about your experience in bookkeeping or accounting?
2. What software programs are you familiar with?
3. Can you tell me about a time when you had to resolve a dispute with a vendor?
4. Can you tell me about a time when you had to audit expenses?
5. Tell me about a time when you had to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously
Sample Problem-Solving Interview Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position
1. Tell me about a time you successfully solved a problem that arose at work
2. How quickly do you typically solve problems?
3. Describe the method you use to come up with creative solutions to problems.
4. What would you do if there’s no obvious solution for this problem?
5. Given the following scenario, what are some possible courses of action?
Sample Situational Interview Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position
- How would you prioritize an invoice that was 2 weeks old and had a $50 late fee on it?
- When you receive a bill from an outside vendor, what is the first thing you do with it before anything else?
- What do you know about international wire transfers?
- Let’s say that there are three different invoices marked as “paid” in your inbox. You come into work for your shift and notice one of those “paid” invoices has been sitting in your inbox for six months. What course of action would you take to deal with this situation?
- Let’s say it came time to reconcile all outstanding accounts payable at the end of the day. Which type of accounts payable would be the last to be reconciled? Why?
Sample Communication Skills Interview Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position
- What is the best way to communicate with a customer that has had a complaint?
- Give an example of how you effectively communicated with someone who was upset.
- How do you prioritize tasks at work as an account payable clerk?
- Tell me about a time where you felt like communication wasn’t effective and why. Which steps could have been taken to make it more effective in the situation?
- Describe how strong interpersonal skills relate to this position as an account payable clerk
Sample Interpersonal Skills Interview Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position
- What’s the most challenging conversation you’ve ever had to have at work?
- How would you go about dealing with a difficult co-worker or client?
- Are you able to stay calm and composed under pressure?
- Can you think on your feet and make quick decisions when needed?
- Do people often take advantage of your kindness instead of respecting your boundaries?
Sample Company Culture Interview Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position
- What motivates you?
- What do you like to work on the most?
- What’s your ideal day as an accountant?
- Why should we hire you as a company culture clerk/assistant?
- How would your friends describe the type of person that you are?
Sample Technical Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position
- What are the responsibilities of an account payable clerk?
- How does one track inventory with QuickBooks Online?
- Is it possible to create multiple records in QuickBooks Online when making a purchase transaction?
- What are some features that are included in QuickClone software?
- How would you list invoices on OpenOffice.org Writer using Quickbooks export file as the template and setting up column headings for Date, Amount, Name, and Address fields?
Sample Finance Interview Questions for Account Payable Clerk Position
- What is the purpose of an account payable clerk?
- How does a checks and balances system work in finance?
- What is the difference between debits and credits in accounting?
- Why do companies make payments to suppliers on credit terms?
- Define “accounts receivable”
Account Payable Clerk Interview Success Tips
The following tips will help you to prepare effectively for an account payable clerk job:
1. Arrive at least 15 minutes early or earlier if possible. This shows that you’re committed and serious about the account payable clerk position that you are seeking.
2. Do some research on the company you want to work for beforehand so that you can speak intelligently about them in the interview.
3. Be ready with questions for the company you are interviewing with before going into their office so that they don’t think you are just hoping they would hire you without any interest in them as a company.
4. Dress appropriately – this is not a time when jeans and t-shirt should be worn! Wear professional clothing that is respectful and shows that you take the interview seriously.
5. Stay calm and be positive throughout the interview, even if you feel like you’re not doing well. Remember that they are interested in your qualifications and how you can benefit their company, not in making you feel bad about yourself.
When preparing for an account payable clerk job interview, it is important to get familiar with likely questions that may be asked so you can be confident in answering the questions that will be put to you at the interview.
This post has provided lots of sample account payable clerk interview questions to help in your preparation for the interview.